David Cameron has resigned

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28381
    thomasw88 said:
    he;'s shown no integrity in his political career. 

despicable man with horrific policies, liar, u turning, pig shagger. 
    I don't see u-turning as necessarily a bad thing in a politician (depending on the u-turn in question, of course).
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    He was more a 3 point turn man without an handbrake on a sharp camber.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    DrJazzTap;1123646" said:
    [quote="EricTheWeary;1123637"]As I understand it the leading party in the Netherlands is anti EU so reasonably likely to leave. Then others like France.
    There's up to two years to negotiate the withdrawal and that has to be approved by Parliament. It is theoretically possible we still won't leave, if unlikely.
    Cameron going isn't a surprise and I think it's sensible not to rush into it.
    Surely they couldn't ignore the will of the British people? I would have thought we'd have riots on a national scale. :([/quote]

I don't think it is likely but it is possible, the referendum isn't binding. If, say, for some reason a general election was called early within that timeline we could elect a pro EU govt. Its only about 39%, I think, of the electorate who voted Leave anyway so fairly small scale riots. If our economy continues to nose dive it may be the most sensible decision to make.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158
    DrJazzTap said:
    EricTheWeary;1123637" said:
    As I understand it the leading party in the Netherlands is anti EU so reasonably likely to leave. Then others like France.
    There's up to two years to negotiate the withdrawal and that has to be approved by Parliament. It is theoretically possible we still won't leave, if unlikely.
    Surely they couldn't ignore the will of the British people? I would have thought we'd have riots on a national scale. :(

Apparently all the Leave voters were the old geezers anyway, so it shouldn't be too difficult for a young, fit and statistically mainly pro-Remain police force to give them the beating they so richly deserve and restore normal service. If Farage can get himself mixed up in the riots and get the everloving shit kicked out of him that would be juuust perfect.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    Putin is having a good belly laugh....whilst snorting another shot of Vodka and executing a road sweeper.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    Putin is having a good belly laugh....whilst snorting another shot of Vodka and executing a road sweeper.
    Britain voting to leave the EU is at best a minor distraction from Russia's problems. Corrupt and oligarchical government, steadily low oil prices meaning they lose money on every barrel they produce, oil and gas accounting for over 50% of their exports, and a post soviet hangover which makes change largely impossible. 
    The military sabre rattling serves much the same purpose, a distraction. Russia's military might is largely a relic of the 1970s, they can put boots on the ground due to a large military, but much of the rest is antiquated and other than ageing nuclear weapons they pose little threat on the modern battlefield.

Whoever replaces Cameron, I don't mind what their actual policies are, as long as they're up front about it. For instance, the NHS is terribly inefficient and underfunded. There is no political will to make the necessary changes (remove middle management and increase taxes) from either party, so really the only alternative is to privatise it and have a dual system like New Zealand (the majority of the private sector in New Zealand is non-profit which stops the crazy American system creeping in) or the Canadian system which is free at the point of use but healthcare is provided by private companies contracted by the government.

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Boris with Gove's backing I suspect. May was a quite remainer and will be rewarded with keeping her job. Gove chancellor and Osbourne back benches I suspect. 
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    ICBM;1123327" said:
    Good.

Boris probably the next PM... bad.
    We are looking at a not to distant future where Boris Johnson is meeting Donald Trump as heads of their respective countries.......
    No else finds this worrying?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285
    That reminds me of these too.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I'm probably in the minority but I thought Boris was a good Mayor of London on the whole. The thought of him as PM horrifies me though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I've been resigned for years - resigned to the fact that we can't change anything.... This ain't news...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Photo published for British Lose Right to Claim That Americans Are Dumber - The New Yorker
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22945
    ennspek said:
    I'm probably in the minority but I thought Boris was a good Mayor of London on the whole. The thought of him as PM horrifies me though.
    I agree, but - maybe it's just my ignorance - I do sometimes wonder if the Mayor of London actually does very much, or if it would all pretty much happen anyway without him.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    DrJazzTap;1123646" said:
    [quote="EricTheWeary;1123637"]As I understand it the leading party in the Netherlands is anti EU so reasonably likely to leave. Then others like France.
    Surely they couldn't ignore the will of the British people? I would have thought we'd have riots on a national scale. :([/quote]

I don't think it is likely but it is possible, the referendum isn't binding. If, say, for some reason a general election was called early within that timeline we could elect a pro EU govt. Its only about 39%, I think, of the electorate who voted Leave anyway so fairly small scale riots. If our economy continues to nose dive it may be the most sensible decision to make.

I think it's really quite likely that Article 50 will never be invoked.

Do you really think our political class will want us to make a decision that they don't like?
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited June 2016
    I wasn't at all surprised by Cameron's announcement.  His political future was so closely tied to the referendum result, cos of what a strong proponent he was for Remain and the way he had conducted things and pissed off many of his MPs.  

His manner of resignation (announcing it quickly, but not going immediately and his standing down for a new leader) was as I predicted. 

Teresa May, a Remainer, kept a very low profile throughout the referendum campaign. And she expressed rather ambivalent views.  Thus she's placed herself well for leadership bid.  She could be a compromise candidate who could appeal to a lot of the Tory MPs and members, and could be acceptable to a many Brexit Tories.

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited June 2016
    I'm going with Theresa May. Well, not literally, but as the next PM.

Edit: I like Boris but he's a buffoon, not a statesman.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339

/\ yeah like Statesmen have done us proud already...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    57Deluxe said:

/\ yeah like Statesmen have done us proud already...

Break out the squirting lapel flowers, grease-paint and red noses then!

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22167

Break out the squirting lapel flowers, grease-paint and red noses then!

I think he's more Benny Hill chasing nurses than Coco the Clown.