EU 'demands' we start exit procedures NOW

What's Hot

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5280
    all those well informed folks that voted to leave are going to be increasingly confused as all those promises are watered down to fuck all
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191

And now it's perhaps time to post this again ;) A bit late, again, but hey.

Who cares... just another stupid 'expert.'
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited June 2016
    I think it's going to be a while before we 'take back control.'

Yep, and those who voted Leave thinking otherwise are just ignorant.  That's their problem.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• camf said:

And now it's perhaps time to post this again ;) A bit late, again, but hey.

Who cares... just another stupid 'expert.'
    ;)
    ... No comment. Like I said, too late.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    camf said:
    For once I agree with @Chalky. This might be an unexpect bonus for the EU. The most powerful Eurosceptic country has ejected itself and now with some deft footwork and some promises of reform, the long sought-after closer political union can be taken forward. If that's the case, they might look to assist England leave as fast as they can.
    ^This

Merkel looks cuddly compared to Junker now, Junker smells blood and he is finally going to get to turn the EU into the militarised federal union that he has dreamed about, the EU will go even more right wing all just in time for Scotland to sign up and be gobbled up
  • Article 50 takes as long as it takes.

Posturing by member states doesn't affect it.
    Article 50 takes as long as it takes.

The Article 50 process lasts for up to a 24 months maximum.  Although, it can be allowed take longer than that but only if all EU countries agree. 

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• littlegreenman said:
    Article 50 takes as long as it takes.

The Article 50 process lasts for up to a 24 months maximum.  Although, it can be allowed take longer than that but only if all EU countries agree. 

So it can "potentially" be even longer.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
    ...you're referring to the duration of Article 50 after it's been instigated.  We're talking about the time between now and when it's instigated - and there is no time limit on that.  It's as long as the gov't thinks they can keep the outers from starting a revolution for !
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    edited June 2016
    Emp_Fab said:
    ...you're referring to the duration of Article 50 after it's been instigated.  We're talking about the time between now and when it's instigated - and there is no time limit on that.  It's as long as the gov't thinks they can keep the outers from starting a revolution for !
    I understood and agree, but I was responding to something someone wrote which did not refer to that aspect.

So it can "potentially" be even longer.
    Yes, it could, potentially.   But we cannot envisage that occuring given that several EU states are already bullying us to invoke Article 50 before September/October.  Evidently they want things to get leave negotiations finalised sooner rather than later.

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited June 2016
    driving down the M40 this tonight on the way home from the Rainbow gig in Brum
    after I dropped Chris off, I was listening to LBC..
    out voters were phoning in to say why they voted out..
    sadly, when challenged,  every single one of them that called in simply proved that they did not fully understand what they were voting for.. the only thing they were certain of is that that they wanted out..
    it was absolutely terrifying to think that the future direction of our nation was handed to these people..
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22167
    @Clarky What LBC show was this? I'll have a listen tomorrow. 

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24812
    A friend of mine told me about a conversation he had with a client where she said,"What's this vote we're having about joining Europe? My friend's told me you can't claim for whiplash there - so I think we're better off as we are".

God knows whether she bothered to vote - but it certainly demonstrates why a referendum was a very bad idea.
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited June 2016
    Clarky said:
    driving down the M40 this tonight on the way home from the Rainbow gig in Brum
    after I dropped Chris off, I was listening to LBC..
    out voters were phoning in to say why they voted out..
    sadly, when challenged,  every single one of them that called in simply proved that they did not fully understand what they were voting for.. the only thing they were certain of is that that they wanted out..
    it was absolutely terrifying to think that the future direction of our nation was handed to these people..

Tell us more more!!! (about the gig)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I'm not surprised Oberfuhrer Juncker wants us to leave ASAP.

He sees the instability and uncertainly as a bad thing for what's left of his hobby horses and their riders. And on this point I would agree with him. As for when the UK triggers Article 50, that's for the UK government to decide. I'm still hopeful that we could secure some meaningful changes to the EU I the interim, but time will tell.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26627
    Emp_Fab said:
    I don't buy the 'advisory' thing.  People are expecting the Govt to act on the referendum.  To back out, quoting the 'advisory' line would be political suicide for every one of them involved.  Ain't gonna happen.
    Equally, the negotiations once Article 50 is triggered are also political suicide. Nobody who gets involved with this is going to have a political career left once the current term is up, because - no matter how the negotiations go - there will be a huge proportion of the population who are significantly unhappy with what we get from it.

Nobody's in a rush because nobody's quite sure how to proceed (or even who we need at the table, given that we haven't got anybody with the right skillset in government and nobody's ever done this before), and the remaining EU states know they're currently holding all the cards.

In fact, the best bet (from the politicians' perspective) might even be to delay it for a long time so that Article 50's two year timescale spans the next General Election (nobody with a brain will want to change our entire negotiating team right in the middle of it) - trigger it when we've got the EU presidency, maybe?
    <space for hire>
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited June 2016
    Clarky;1126224" said:driving down the M40 this tonight on the way home from the Rainbow gig in Brumafter I dropped Chris off, I was listening to LBC..out voters were phoning in to say why they voted out..sadly, when challenged,  every single one of them that called in simply proved that they did not fully understand what they were voting for.. the only thing they were certain of is that that they wanted out..it was absolutely terrifying to think that the future direction of our nation was handed to these people.. 

Come on, clarky, I'm certain a lot of remain voters are the same.... it wasn't just dim and demented old people who voted leave and remain.

There seems to be a popular belief here that leave was wrong, leave voters were stupid etc. We've really got to stop painting that picture. I'm sure many remain voters wish they'd voted leave. What's that, folk don't think so? Why not? Why not one way and not the other way round?
    Just playing devil's advocate!

Folk voted and that's that, I don't mean it in any offensive way. Some people here think I'm picking fights but I'm totally not! But we can't analyse until we're blue in the face and convince ourselves leave voters were wrong and we're not going to listen to them. It was more than half the country... it's not democracy if we vote again if we don't like the answer. I think the news is trying to scare a minority of leave voters post-vote, airing it and using that to brainwash people into thinking a big mistake was made and we need to vote again. 

And as for youngsters blaming elders..
    Respect your elders! They've got more accumulated wisdom than you.

So. Tell us about the gig lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom