Did Corbyn intentionally not support Remain properly, or is he not very good at politics?

What's Hot

Comments

• siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    He's right that the EU is a mixed bag and I'm sure many people on both sides of the argument would agree with that.  What he didn't understand or couldn't bring himself to accept was that in his position you can't adopt an analogue position in a binary argument. 

“He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The people looking to remove Corbyn are idiots - its not the right time. The Tory Party is about to go into melt down and the government could fall. The Queen could therefore ask Corbyn if he could form a government .. on the present evidence that would be slim. She may have to ask Salmond ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72720
    edited June 2016
    siremoon said: 

He's right that the EU is a mixed bag and I'm sure many people on both sides of the argument would agree with that.  What he didn't understand or couldn't bring himself to accept was that in his position you can't adopt an analogue position in a binary argument.
    You put that much better in less words than I did :).

Fretwired said:
    The people looking to remove Corbyn are idiots - its not the right time. The Tory Party is about to go into melt down and the government could fall. The Queen could therefore ask Corbyn if he could form a government .. on the present evidence that would be slim. She may have to ask Salmond ... :-)
    She could ask any member of parliament she thinks could command a majority of the House. That won't be Corbyn… even if he's still leader of the opposition tomorrow.

Churchill was only a fairly minor figure in 1940.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

How can you say Corbyn isn't a 'career politician'? He's been a politician since the early 70's, and has never had a proper job in his entire life*.

*Directly plagiarised from Farage's latest rant at the EU mandarins.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72720

How can you say Corbyn isn't a 'career politician'? He's been a politician since the early 70's, and has never had a proper job in his entire life*.

Because he's never treated it as a career in the sense of a path for advancement - just as exactly... a job. I'm sure he never foresaw leading the party, at least not at any time after Kinnock became leader and the party moved away from him politically. He seems to have almost casually allowed himself to be put forward last year, and I'm sure never thought he would win until the campaign got going.

He's certainly never tried to ingratiate himself with any of the former leaders, never tried to climb the party ladder, never held even the most junior office. That may be one of the reasons it's all going wrong - he just doesn't know how all that works.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12966
    I have a friend/acquaintance who works for a major British newspaper as one of their Northern correspondents. Spends a lot of time talking politics with the general public. Hasn't once met a ukip voter or Conservative voter who is tempted to move to (or back to) Labour because of Corbyn.

He's unelectable. Being able to win is the number one priority for any major party. He needs to go.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    Corbyn was voted in by a few hundred thousand party members. You can't say he's popular with people who voted labour at all. How many voted Labour at last election? 9 1/2 million or so?

Corbyn got (about) 60% of the vote out of of about 550,000 members - so about 330,000 votes.

Very different measures.

He's stuffed. What he needs now is some humility and perspective and to realise that he is damaging his party regardless of what the membership thinks. Popularity with the party members, the public and the PLP are all different things.

The Labour Party at the moment is becoming more and more like Animal Farm by the day.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    ICBM said:
    - he just doesn't know how all that works.
    To be fair, none of them know how it works, they make it up as they go along ;)

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Corbyn got EE at A level at a well to do Grammer school. He is not very bright.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    Evilmags said:
    That's equivalent to an A* these days ;)

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Cameron got straight As though. 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22294
    I have a friend/acquaintance who works for a major British newspaper as one of their Northern correspondents. Spends a lot of time talking politics with the general public. Hasn't once met a ukip voter or Conservative voter who is tempted to move to (or back to) Labour because of Corbyn.

He's unelectable. Being able to win is the number one priority for any major party. He needs to go.

I don't think it's a case of him being unelectable. It's that the Labour party have no idea what to do in order to be electable. Look at the list of supporters:

-Unions and members, went for Remain.
    -Trad Labour places like Hartlepool, never voted a Tory into Parliament, went Leave. 
    -The city votes (London, Liverpool, Manchetser, Bristol etc - Labour dominate the mayoral lists). Remain. 
    -The SJW crowd - Remainers. 

How do you construct a party that adequately pleases all four of those groups? 

I don't think it's a case of him being unelectable. It's that the Labour party have no idea what to do in order to be electable. Look at the list of supporters:

-Trad Labour places like Hartlepool, never voted a Tory into Parliament, went Leave. 
    -The city votes (London, Liverpool, Manchetser, Bristol etc - Labour dominate the mayoral lists). Remain. 

It won't matter at a GE as the likes of Hartlepool will always vote Labour over Tory. Might be different if the Lib Dems find traction.

edited June 2016
    Fretwired said: It won't matter at a GE as the likes of Hartlepool will always vote Labour over Tory. Might be different if the Lib Dems find traction.
    I think it does. Those UKIP voters at the last election weren't all disatisfied Tories. There are people who went from Labour to UKIP on the immigration ticket. 

Hartlepool voyed overwhelmingly for Leave. How would they react to a Labour leader come the next election telling them that he is still very pro-EU? As more young voters come into the arena, they won't have the same Labour loyalties that their grandparents or parents had. Those young people won't have worked in a union workplace like their elders in shipyards like those owned by William Grey & Company. They won't have ever known the evils of Maggie et al. What those young kids hear about most is immigrants and how they're coming over in droves. 

So why would those young voters go Labour?  

It is my belief that Labour have to firmly decide who to back: the unions and the older traditional vote, or the more cosmopolitan and Tumblr vote. I don't think they can create a party that would suit both factions. 

edited June 2016
    Evilmags said:

Debate deleted :D After reading your thread about Spanish funerals, I won't go off on a big debate. You've had quite enough to deal with with all of that without quibbling on a point. Condolences on everything, not least being far better than the sons of the deceased. 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27305

You don't need to get all of those though. You need to get the majority of the floating voters. Those who weren't brought up to always vote for "us" rather than "them", middle class working people who generally are socially liberal but economically conservative. It's an EXTREMELY hard line to follow, and one the Lib Dems were actually doing very well at until they formed the coalition, which was their downfall. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4931
    edited June 2016
    Vote of no confidence - backed by 176 to 44:

*edit to include beeb link.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27718
    Nitefly said:

Recount, surely?

So, basically, it's him and his shadow cabinet against the rest of the elected MPs.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    Nitefly said:

Recount, surely?

So, basically, it's him and his shadow cabinet against the rest of the elected MPs.
    Not quite - the shadow education secretary resigned after less than 48 hours in the job ...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You don't need to get all of those though. You need to get the majority of the floating voters. Those who weren't brought up to always vote for "us" rather than "them", middle class working people who generally are socially liberal but economically conservative. It's an EXTREMELY hard line to follow, and one the Lib Dems were actually doing very well at until they formed the coalition, which was their downfall. 
    I'm not saying you need all of them. It's a list of who does support them NOW. It was clear in 2015 that they'd lost some of that traditional backing. An election next year in the wake of the referendum may see them lose more backing from that sector. Trade Unions are declining in membership as well. If you're going to replace those voters from those two sectors with the cosmopolitan sector, then you will strengthen in cities where you are already strong and face possibly losing out in other areas and lowering your impact across the whole country. 

I wonder if the answer is a Labour party based around unions and traditional voters happy to go into coalition with a socially liberal/economically conservative group.