holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
I don't think there's a better option than Pellegrini
My V key is broken
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    holnrew said:
    I don't think there's a better option than Pellegrini
    He's a gentleman, no doubt and I'd agree with you if I could find any enthusiasm for the England Football team at the moment.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I'm not sure who's out there that's any good that is available.

Pellegrini would get destroyed by fans and media alike because he's too dour in press conferences. This is something that unbelievably needs to be a consideration with the England job (although appointing such charismatic guys like Cappello, Hodgson and Taylor in the past suggests not to the FA).

Bilic would be good, but is it the right time for him to leave West Ham? I wouldn't if I was him.

GIggs was saying last night that they're trying to work from within and promote guys, on that basis I'd give Redknapp the top job and get a young guy in working with him-I don't think Southgate is the answer.

All you need at international level is someone the players respect and look up to, someone who's not scared of the media and a good selector.

Coaching takes care of itself and for all the talk of tactics, it's players that win games-good ones, you just need to pick a formation and basically stick with it.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    edited July 2016
    Rafa Benitez or Guus Hiddink, have recent premier league experience and would command respect because of what they've done in the game. I mean Benitez transformed a terrible Newcastle team into an excellent one after taking over from an inept English manager, it's like he was training for the England job
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    Marcelo Bielsa.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    God
    play every note as if it were your first
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Guess who is advising the FA. Stuart "I failed at the Rugby World Cup in England" Lancaster.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    Guess who is advising the FA. Stuart "I failed at the Rugby World Cup in England" Lancaster.

By the looks of it he's helping them to see whaty its like preparing an England team for a tournament and giving the huge dissapointment angle. David Brailsfords also there and he is one very successful guy
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Jurgen Klinsmann
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    Nikko said:
    Jurgen Klinsmann

Interesting article in the Guardian as to why he's not a great choice

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/jul/01/jurgen-klinsmann-england-football-team-manager

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Barry Fry 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    preston61 said:
    Nikko said:
    Jurgen Klinsmann

Interesting article in the Guardian as to why he's not a great choice

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/jul/01/jurgen-klinsmann-england-football-team-manager

Yeah, read that earlier. I still think he would be better than what weve had previously.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297

For all the talk of experience etc that seems to have done nothing, I wouldn't mind seeing Shearer have a go,

he's an English man, a respected player, aware of the English league, the overseas leagues, aware of the players, aware of how to win and lose in major tournaments and situations, seems to have a genuine passion for the national side too.

Could be another disaster, but we've shown we don't respond to foreign managers, we don't respond well to experienced managers, why not give someone who has the real world experience of playing and being managed in these situations and understands our home grown players, how they play in their own clubs and how to make that work at an international level.

He'd have most of the fans behind him too,

certainly worth a genuine consideration. 

I agree with both of the above. Klinsmann would be better than Roy, however English national football is so bad that I'd be more than happy to see a team of Shearer, Ferdinand/Keown and whoever else have a bash, whats the worst that could happen
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    darcym said:

For all the talk of experience etc that seems to have done nothing, I wouldn't mind seeing Shearer have a go,

he's an English man, a respected player, aware of the English league, the overseas leagues, aware of the players, aware of how to win and lose in major tournaments and situations, seems to have a genuine passion for the national side too.

Could be another disaster, but we've shown we don't respond to foreign managers, we don't respond well to experienced managers, why not give someone who has the real world experience of playing and being managed in these situations and understands our home grown players, how they play in their own clubs and how to make that work at an international level.

When has throwing an inexperienced guy in ever worked?

I think Guardiola is the one example I can think of where it's been successful, but even then he as at Barcelona B for a year and in fairness, had Barcelona to manage.

I think the problem with Shearer would be the players questioning his tactics or selections as he's never done anything in management and fairly close to their ages.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31606
    lloyd said:

I think the problem with Shearer would be the players questioning his tactics or selections
    It's not up to them to question anything. If they do, drop them. There are a thousand other mediocre, off-form players to choose from. Is there really anyone who could put their hand up to say England would've been poorer without them?

Although the job is obviously a poisoned chalice things are so low that at least now the incumbent would have pretty well a free hand to start kicking arses.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    England are never going to play like 2010 Spain.  The strengths of the players we have mean we need to be organised and hard working.  We need to pick a manager who will play to that.

We would get better results from someone like Allardyce than a lot of the names mentioned.

Having said that I like the idea of Bilic.

The thing that is worrying me is that there is talk of going back to Glenn (I went to a World Cup with only one left footed player in my whole squad) Hoddle.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    lloyd said:
    darcym said:

When has throwing an inexperienced guy in ever worked?

I think Guardiola is the one example I can think of where it's been successful, but even then he as at Barcelona B for a year and in fairness, had Barcelona to manage.

I think the problem with Shearer would be the players questioning his tactics or selections as he's never done anything in management and fairly close to their ages.
    Shearer managed Newcastle for 12 or 13 games and lead them to relegation. 

Zidane did pretty well considering he didn't have a huge amount of experience as well. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

Boris Johnson.

He'd fit in well with al the other clowns.

• NotNowJohnNotNowJohn Frets: 187
    Laurent Blanc: Recently left PSG; won league titles; won the World Cup; managed France; knows the English game; speaks English...

I honestly can't think of anyone better.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12907

A chimp with a pointing stick would probably do as well as Hodgson did to be honest.