Who do you want for the England job?

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    Given the difference in Ramsay for Wales and Ramsay for Arsenal I want Wenger even less.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I'd prefer an English manager. I still think that Gary Neville has the making of a very good manager in him, he is an excellent analyst and really understands football. He needs to make it work at club level though.

Hmmnn .... I'm thinking maybe Allardyce or Pardew and I have no expectation of success so no pressure. 

I really really wanted Redknapp last time around but he's been out of top level for a bit too long now. I think that he would have been brilliant.

A foreign manager could work with someone who gets the English, eg not Capello! Someone who played over here for a long stretch. I'd actually quite like Cantona! He's so mad it might just work

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6501
    Alex Ferguson would be great to see, but he would never do it :)

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    crunchman said:
    Given the difference in Ramsay for Wales and Ramsay for Arsenal I want Wenger even less.
    Was only thinking that while watching the match, also Ramsay performance vs Wilshere
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    If past experience is any help, the manager England needs is not the manager England will get.  Brian Clough was the obvious choice way back then but he was overlooked by the FA when England needed a new team manager.  Simply put, Clough was his own man.  He did things his way.  He did not respect or admire the FA (as the FA expect their national manager to do).

Until England pick a manager who knows what he wants his team to do, can ignore the fuckwits in the FA, can totally ignore what the newspapers write about his team or methods, can likewise ignore what is being spoken by pundits on football programs on TV.  In other words the England team is his team.  The players may or may not play in the Premier League, as many countries have shown, PL football is not a prerequisite for national team selection.

Apart from Clough, who sadly is no longer available, I can't think of anyone who fits the bill.  So guys, you will have to get used to more of the same for many years to come.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Chris Coleman .. Wales pay him peanuts compared to Roy ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Sir Dave Brailsford.

Unfortunately, he's busy showing the rest of the world how to win at riding bikes.

Hodgson and the England squad sulked off the pitch. Dave would have been furious and tore the whole team a new one.

The England manager, and indeed the squad lack the passion to win as a team, or even play as a team. Until that is sorted out, nothing will change.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    Ronnie Pickering.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    edited July 2016
    I really hope it's not just an ex-pro who had a bit of an England career. It needs to be a coach, someone with a proper identity to the way their teams play.

I'm all for making it a part-time job and letting someone do it alongside a club job too.
  • DiscoStu said:
    Ronnie Pickering.
    Who?
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DiscoStu said:
    Ronnie Pickering.
    Who?
    Ronnie Pickering.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Fretwired said:
    Chris Coleman ....
    This is obviously the correct answer. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Clarky said:
    God
    Sorry mate, I'm not available.............

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited July 2016
    DiscoStu;1136143" said:
    littlegreenman said:

DiscoStu said:

Ronnie Pickering.

Who?
    Ronnie Pickering.
    Who?
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    mike_l said:
    Clarky said:
    God
    Sorry mate, I'm not available.............
    I can't accept that excuse as you are omnipresent
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    darcym said:

For all the talk of experience etc that seems to have done nothing, I wouldn't mind seeing Shearer have a go,

he's an English man, a respected player, aware of the English league, the overseas leagues, aware of the players, aware of how to win and lose in major tournaments and situations, seems to have a genuine passion for the national side too.

Surely people can't be seriously recommending Shearer? Anyone in this thread could have kept Newcastle in the Premier League when he got them relegated. He demonstrated no understanding of tactics whatsoever.

Gary Neville's complete failure at Valencia and England should clearly show that a good pundit does not necessarily make a good manager.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    Here's what you don't need:

1) Was a good pundit on telly. So, nobody ever thought to employ them as a manager.
    2) Was a good player. Managing and playing are two different things. A great guitar player won't necessarily be a great guitar maker or know how to run Wembley Arena.

Here's what you do need:
    1) International management experience. You need someone who can manage the pace of the international game - nothing happens for three months and then there are three games in ten days. The lack of daily involvement puts so many poeple off.
    2) Thick skin. They are going to get pilloried in the press from day one, and it won't get better. Was it Scolari who was overlooked by the FA because he said he would have a dust-up with any of the press who got personal?
    3) Is fluent in English. This, admittedly, is more than is asked of the players (some of whom are sub-Clanger when it comes to communication).
    DiscoStu;1136143" said:
    littlegreenman said:

DiscoStu said:

Ronnie Pickering.

Who?
    Ronnie Pickering.
    Who?

RONNIE PICKERING!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    chrispy108;1136578" said:
    darcym said:

For all the talk of experience etc that seems to have done nothing, I wouldn't mind seeing Shearer have a go, he's an English man, a respected player, aware of the English league, the overseas leagues, aware of the players, aware of how to win and lose in major tournaments and situations, seems to have a genuine passion for the national side too.Surely people can't be seriously recommending Shearer? Anyone in this thread could have kept Newcastle in the Premier League when he got them relegated. He demonstrated no understanding of tactics whatsoever.

Gary Neville's complete failure at Valencia and England should clearly show that a good pundit does not necessarily make a good manager.
    Shearer has said he has previously put himself forward for the job and would like to be considered now - from his position as a TV pundit he has seemingly put himself into consideration. He also seems to have the kind of passion for the England team that some have felt was missing elsewhere. There's an attraction to it being Shearer but not a lot to suggest he has the right experience or capability.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.