Who do you want for the England job?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    Rocker said:
    If past experience is any help, the manager England needs is not the manager England will get.  Brian Clough was the obvious choice way back then but he was overlooked by the FA when England needed a new team manager.  Simply put, Clough was his own man.  He did things his way.  He did not respect or admire the FA (as the FA expect their national manager to do).

Until England pick a manager who knows what he wants his team to do, can ignore the fuckwits in the FA, can totally ignore what the newspapers write about his team or methods, can likewise ignore what is being spoken by pundits on football programs on TV.  In other words the England team is his team.  The players may or may not play in the Premier League, as many countries have shown, PL football is not a prerequisite for national team selection.

Apart from Clough, who sadly is no longer available, I can't think of anyone who fits the bill.  So guys, you will have to get used to more of the same for many years to come.
    I'm pretty sure if we had got Clough in we wouldn't be in this mess now. Cloughie could have won something as England manager and that would have took the pressure of all the subsequent teams/managers.
    On the same note I don't know why they never offered the job to Bob Paisley, not sure he would have done it though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3625
    Rocker said:
    If past experience is any help, the manager England needs is not the manager England will get.  Brian Clough was the obvious choice way back then but he was overlooked by the FA when England needed a new team manager.  Simply put, Clough was his own man.  He did things his way.  He did not respect or admire the FA (as the FA expect their national manager to do).

Until England pick a manager who knows what he wants his team to do, can ignore the fuckwits in the FA, can totally ignore what the newspapers write about his team or methods, can likewise ignore what is being spoken by pundits on football programs on TV.  In other words the England team is his team.  The players may or may not play in the Premier League, as many countries have shown, PL football is not a prerequisite for national team selection.

Apart from Clough, who sadly is no longer available, I can't think of anyone who fits the bill.  So guys, you will have to get used to more of the same for many years to come.
    I'm pretty sure if we had got Clough in we wouldn't be in this mess now. Cloughie could have won something as England manager and that would have took the pressure of all the subsequent teams/managers.
    On the same note I don't know why they never offered the job to Bob Paisley, not sure he would have done it though.
    Couldn't agree more about Cloughie, but the FA want a clubman.

Look at Terry Venables, did well, similar story.

We want an Englishman, Gawd knows who  -  Just don't get Hoddle back.
    :-O
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I think Hoddle is probably the best available right now. It was off the pitch it went wrong for him last time.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774

The clamour for Hoddle amuses me-he hasn't managed a team in a decade and only ever won the League Cup as a manager-he did ok last time round as England boss, but that was a long time ago-I'm not sure he'd have the same gravitas as to this generations players as he did the last.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    ennspek said:
    I think Hoddle is probably the best available right now. It was off the pitch it went wrong for him last time.
    It was on the pitch as well.  As I've said at least twice already he went to the '98 world cup with Le Saux as the only left footed player in his entire squad.  When he got injured England lost all their width and had no balance.  He should have done what what has been suggested above and pick a left back from a smaller club instead of Phil Neville.  One of the things Sven got right when he took over was picking Charlton player Chris Powell at left back until the emergence of Ashley Cole.  There should have been a Chris Powell type player in the '98 squad backing up Le Saux.

As others have said, you don't need genius in every position.  You need players who know their job and will play for the team.

I agree with the comments above about international football being different from club football.  You don't get the players together for months at a time.  Someone with a track record in the U21s would be the way forward.  In an ideal world, he would take over and would have a good knowledge of the next generation of players from his work with the U21s.

Unfortunately Southgate doesn't want the job at the moment.  Doubt it will happen but Stuart Pearce had a decent record with the U21s but his time has probably gone.

The other thing to bear in mind is that it shouldn't be a one man show.  Don Howe used to be a major part of it under Robson and Venables.  You need to find someone like him who can make sure that all the defenders know their jobs on long throws etc.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    crunchman said:
    ennspek said:
    It was on the pitch as well.  As I've said at least twice already he went to the '98 world cup with Le Saux as the only left footed player in his entire squad.  When he got injured England lost all their width and had no balance.  He should have done what what has been suggested above and pick a left back from a smaller club instead of Phil Neville.  One of the things Sven got right when he took over was picking Charlton player Chris Powell at left back until the emergence of Ashley Cole.  There should have been a Chris Powell type player in the '98 squad backing up Le Saux.

As others have said, you don't need genius in every position.  You need players who know their job and will play for the team.

I agree with the comments above about international football being different from club football.  You don't get the players together for months at a time.  Someone with a track record in the U21s would be the way forward.  In an ideal world, he would take over and would have a good knowledge of the next generation of players from his work with the U21s.

Unfortunately Southgate doesn't want the job at the moment.  Doubt it will happen but Stuart Pearce had a decent record with the U21s but his time has probably gone.

The other thing to bear in mind is that it shouldn't be a one man show.  Don Howe used to be a major part of it under Robson and Venables.  You need to find someone like him who can make sure that all the defenders know their jobs on long throws etc.
    Agree with most of this, but Stuart Pearce is thick as mince-every tema he goes to gets a spike in results as he's obviously respected , passionate and whatnot but then they all start fading.

He'd be a great no2 IMO, bollocking players and putting his arm round them.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    axisus said:
    I'd prefer an English manager. I still think that Gary Neville has the making of a very good manager in him, he is an excellent analyst and really understands football. He needs to make it work at club level though.

Who knows what these players need, but I think the most important skills in an England manager is man management. Tactics, analysis etc you can get from your team. Steve McClaren, by all accounts knows all his analysis, tactics, but is a poor man manager.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339

Gary Neville's complete failure at Valencia and England should clearly show that a good pundit does not necessarily make a good manager.
    That's not all that fair - It was a poisoned chalice to start with. I'd say that it was a big risk to take, and it backfired so he's only got himself to blame. Slightly damaged goods now, but he could really do with taking a job in the UK and seeing how it goes. I certainly wouldn't judge him as a manager based on just that one job.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Valencia won 3 games out of 16 without keeping a single clean sheet.

We need a serious tactician, not a man motivator. You build a team spirit by playing as a team and having a shared identity. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    axisus said:
    mike_l said:
    Clarky said:
    God
    Sorry mate, I'm not available.............
    I can't accept that excuse as you are omnipresent
    There's actually more chance of converting bigsby users into floyd users than sorting the England footballers out......... 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453

Valencia won 3 games out of 16 without keeping a single clean sheet.

We need a serious tactician, not a man motivator. You build a team spirit by playing as a team and having a shared identity. 
    You can have the motivator if you have a Don Howe type to back him up with the tactics.
  • I'd go with Big Sam. Proven to over achieve with mediocre resources. It's criminal how he's never been given the chance at a "big" job, he's much more tactically astute than he's given credit for. I do wonder how he'd do internationally as he seems to excel in a league where he can build a rapport with players & mound the team... That said, I'm Scottish- I think you should persuade Roy to stay. :))
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    I'd go with Big Sam. Proven to over achieve with mediocre resources. It's criminal how he's never been given the chance at a "big" job, he's much more tactically astute than he's given credit for. I do wonder how he'd do internationally as he seems to excel in a league where he can build a rapport with players & mound the team... That said, I'm Scottish- I think you should persuade Roy to stay. :))
    I'm a Bolton fan so I've seen Big Sam's teams in action and to be fair the long ball tag he is associated with is unfair, before he brought in Kevin Davies and went the direct route. He had players like Campo, Okocha & Djourkaef in the team and they were playing some nice football, however, they were more successful when they changed to direct football.
    He's a good manager and his teams are organised he's smarter than he appears, however, he has never won anything of note and I think we need a manager who has the experience of winning at the top level.