Photobucket Alternative anyone?

What's Hot
BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
edited July 2016 in Off Topic
I'm fed up with struggling to post images and edit them on Photobucket - can't even view them a lot of the time! 

Even when I can find them, they decide to display them at jaunty 90 degree angles despite my best efforts to show them the right way up!

Can anyone recommend a free alternative that works for hosting images in the classifieds?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    edited July 2016
    Imgur

Just upload your images, copy the image URL and voila. It's all I use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Flickr?
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited July 2016
    I never understood why people dont just use their own free homespace to host their photos. Thats if ISP's still do the homespace thing, probably not thesedays. Few people ever used it.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Postimage.org
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27610
    The trouble with *free* image hosting services is that they're going to have to try to generate some revenue sooner or later.

And revenue-generation usually means the introduction of adverts or some other intrusion to the previous service that was (previously) so good that loads of people signed up to it and committed all their images to it ... which, of course, was the cunning plan behind offering a free service in the first place.

That said, Google's services (was Picasa, is now Photos) have been pretty good - and still free.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Grindr.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Nikko said:
    Flickr?
    This - had no problems since I started using it. Still got all my stuff on Photobucket as I've not moved it across yet - but it's on the cards. 
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I never understood why people dont just use their own free homespace to host their photos. Thats if ISP's still do the homespace thing, probably not thesedays. Few people ever used it.
    Because I don't want my pictures tied to my ISP, who are in my experience of a few, shitbags who I change every year.

I use Imgur.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4920
    Just tried creating a Flickr account, but it wants me to have an "@yahoo.com" email address - won't accept anything else!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Imgur

If it eventually goes the same way as Photobucket, move on to the next one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6083
    I started with Photobucket, found it glitchy and slow. Switched to Imgur, much easier and trouble free experience so far.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
    Aren't all the images on imgur public though ?  Or is that flickr ?  I also want an alternative to photobucket but one that keeps my pics private unless I share the url (i.e. for posting pics here) and one that you can't get to the album by adjusting the url - e.g. if I post a pic of a guitar, hosted at 'Emps_Photos/Guitars/Guitarpic.jpg' on some photo sharing site, nobody can get to 'Emps_Photos/Private/CucumberAdventure'.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Emp_Fab - I'm just trying Imgur now.  If you put your pics in albums, you cab decide on the privacy level - public, hidden, or "secret" (pics only visible when you're logged on).
    If you post purely the direct link to an imgur image, there is no way of finding the rest of the library. It's simply a web address for a single image.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
    Testing...

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    Wow - is that a part of the oscilloscope?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2016
    And a test from me...

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    edited July 2016
    Select the HTML code.

Not a direct image links.
    Not a BBcode link.

HTML.

I know direct image link "works" but only as far as if you are viewing on a computer browser, if you are viewing on a mobile device then it only shows up as a link whereas HTML will shows up as an image no matter what device you are viewing from.

It is one of my absolute pet peeve on this forum when people start a New Gear Day thread and when checking on my phone and all I can see is a bunch of photo bucket links....which is made worst by if you click on it, it doesn't take you directly to the image but the page showing the image with ads.

Of its a for sale thread, you can forget it...I rather not buy that item than click through all the photobucket links ..it has become more than a pet peeve in a lot of ways.

So, HTML....please.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    I have no issues with Photobucket unless I try and post from my phone.

I always right click on the image in PB to get the copy image URL option... Don't use the links they give you at the side. I then click the add image option here and paste the link into the box. I know a few do the same and their images always work for me on mobile and laptop. As far as I am aware, my pics don't show as PB links.

My PB account is 98% full with no easy way to back it up elsewhere... I'm sticking with it.
    Select the HTML code.

Not a direct image links.
    Not a BBcode link.

HTML.

I know direct image link "works" but only as far as if you are viewing on a computer browser, if you are viewing on a mobile device then it only shows up as a link whereas HTML will shows up as an image no matter what device you are viewing from.

It is one of my absolute pet peeve on this forum when people start a New Gear Day thread and when checking on my phone and all I can see is a bunch of photo bucket links....which is made worst by if you click on it, it doesn't take you directly to the image but the page showing the image with ads.

Of its a for sale thread, you can forget it...I rather not buy that item than click through all the photobucket links ..it has become more than a pet peeve in a lot of ways.

So, HTML....please.
    Ah… I always wondered why that was, I thought it was something in the way Safari works in iOS.