When was the last time you sprinted?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
I'm an overweight git at 53, but I do spend a fair bit of time jogging and doing other fitness activities. I never get into a full on sprint though. The only time I have done it in living memory was when I raced my kids and their cousins about 5 years ago. That time it destroyed my thigh muscles! I could barely walk for 3 days afterwards. Anyway, I was out with the wife and daughters today and the kids decided to run across the field to where we were going. I decided to beat them, so I hared off. It felt really weird, almost like it wasn't my legs, and I have to admit that I flew off faster than I thought I would, it felt pretty good. The big plus was no thigh trouble! I think that my 9km jog in the morning loosened things up. Anyone tried sprinting in their old age?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    edited July 2016
    I'm afraid due tae hip replacement it's been quite a while....I can get quite a speed up, 4mph or thereabouts, with speed walking.....I seek out hills and that keeps me puffed out....titanium hip don't you know with ceramic cup .....cup size 34dd 
    tae be or not tae be
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2240
    1990 something. I jog a mile or two sometimes. Too much and my knees go. Cycling is better IMHO you can do distance or speed and there's no impact (unless you fall off). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    I am not 100% sure but I reckon it was on the sixth ball of an over.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    About a month ago.  When was the last time you shouted and screamed at the top of your voice?
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Me sprint? Ahahaha

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    About 50 minutes ago, running for a train that would get me to the airport on time to catch my long haul flight. Made it too...im sitting at the gate waiting to board.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Earlier today - I do daily hill sprints for fitness 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4633
    Two years ago at my sons sports day.
    ripped something couldn't walk for a week
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Yesterday. I did a mini mini Murph... Sprint 400m > 25 strict form pull ups > 50 press ups > 75 squats > sprint 400m

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• RolandRoland Frets: 8711
    Earlier this year when the neighbours' Red Setter attacked a Jack Russell. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Yesterday and every run I do, which is about 5 a week at the moment.
    I do a mixture of HIIT and steady state and flat out sprint the last 100m or so.

Also martial arts twice a week.
    I've not had muscle ache due to sprinting for years- the long distance running still wipes me out a bit.
  • edenfield99edenfield99 Frets: 349
    A couple of weeks ago chasing my girlfriends dog on a walk. I was a pretty good 100m runner in my younger days however a life of beer, jazz cigarettes and general misbehaviour means I thought I was going to die after 50m. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    Never. Fact.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5858
    About 18 months ago, for my Tram to work, I only sprinted about 100 yards or a bit less and ended up with Shin Splints. Good news, I no longer have to catch the Tram to work with my new job.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72374
    Full-on sprint, two years ago at school sports day - I'm still stupidly competitive :). (And I won!) But they haven't allowed it since, because one of the other dads fell over and broke his arm, and the headteacher has now decided it's a bad idea :(.

Running fast, not quite sprinting - after a gig last year which went on later than I expected, and when I came out I realised I only had two minutes to reach a bus stop about a quarter of a mile away or I would be walking home… I made it.

After the first one my legs ached for a couple of days. After the second one I nearly passed out on the bus. I'm 49 and I should know better really :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    As often as I can. I have Strava!
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    edited July 2016
    last week when I left my wallet on the bus, the bus was on its way to a a series of rather unsavoury areas and there was no way I was getting that back, so about 300 yards as fast as my un-cartiliged right knee and recently pulled hamstrung left leg would take me to the next bus stop, not very fast as it happens!
    made it though thighs were on fire for a day or two. I'm only 45.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    If you had a rifle and a scope it would have saved you the bother.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Had to sprint for a train about a month ago. I was carrying a guitar and pedalboard. That was an exceedingly unpleasant experience.

I'm only 21 and I'm skinny as hell, but I'm really unfit. :lol: 
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."