High End, Super-chimy Amps?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27233
Bonus time next month and I'm considering a new amp. I like a lot about my current Laney Lionheart 5W; it does the low-wattage 18W kinda things *really* well but it just doesn't quite chime like I'd love it to. So... what to do? 

Let's say budget up to £1500. Low wattage is good, and decent master volume or power scaling essential since I'm in a flat. Tone wise I'm after that lovely compressed chime a good Vox does when it's wound up before it gets into Rory Gallagher/Brian May territory. Reverb is also very high on the list. I'm happy with 10 or 12 inch speakers. 

Where does that put me? Cornell Romany Plus, Maz 8/18, Badcat Cub 15W (either III or the new USA Player's Series). Anything else? 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28710
    Certainly the Romany.

Did I mention that mine is available for purchase?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Honestly try an AC10. OK, slightly cheesey (but fine) build quality, but for bedroom volume compressed chime it's really rather fantastic. I've read many posts where people prefer it at this volume to their booteek vox-a-likes.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33846
    Check out 65 Amps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27233
    I have the added annoyance that I'm not in the UK so can't demo anything except Yamaha THRs.

Will look at 65s- they're by Peter Stroud of Sheryl Crowe's band, iirc?
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3903
    Carr Lincoln, Matchless DC30. Calling @Wazmeister ;
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3349
    Surely a AC15hw fits the bill?
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2254
    The Romany is a mighty fine amp and I had one for 6 years but it aint a Vox type amp. Nowhere near. It will not chime. My current amps are a Bad Cat Black Cat 30. Matchless LIghtning and an AC4C1. They all do the Vox thing. I've also had a Korg AC15. 

I've never played an AC10 but I saw a mates daughter play one in the Good Ship in KIlburn with a Jazzmaster. Very nice sounding amp. I'm not sure if it will sound like that at low volumes. 

All my amps do a gritty clean at low volumes but you do have to dial in the master volume. It's difficult to make an actual recommendation as trying stuff is going to be difficult for you. I was going to suggest you try my amps. Plane fare would be a bit much. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27233
    Surely a AC15hw fits the bill?
    Tone wise, absolutely, but no master volume means it's out of the question for home playing in an apartment. 

The Bad Cats sounds fantastic from demos and I know from experience they're great sounding amps, but obviously it's a big chunk to spend without trying one first!
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3431
    How about sticking a 12" blue in a cab and trying that with the Laney...?
    Search google for Champions of Chime. There's too much talking but you do get an idea of the sounds from a variety of guitars, players and amps. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9612
    edited July 2016
    Matchless Lightning for me. Loved mine, sold it but will get another.
    Wonderful amp.

The Bad Cats are wonderful too.
  • I have an AC15 ef86 channel from @4114effects and if you want bedroom chime, get it. 

Now. 

Or an ac30.  They both chime at any level of volume but if you're in a flat, an AC15 is easier to attenuate. 
  • BoopDeWoopBoopDeWoop Frets: 101
    I have an AC10 and an AC15C1. The AC10 is hilariously loud- gain and volume barely gets past 1 and it's too loud for the house. My AC15C1 has a much better master volume and is much more tameable at home. It's big and heavy compared to the titchy AC10. 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    A used Bad Cat Black Cat is where the smart money is, SERIOUS amp for not a great deal of outlay. The newer models have the K Master which is apparently awesome and they have reverb too. I saw a couple not long ago barely fetch £900 on eBay. A Crime.

I have a very early Bad Cat Black Cat and I honestly don't think i'll part with that one.

Matchless Lightning too, that'll get you exactly where you want to be.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    ^^^ Have a wiz. @miserneil! Think that's where I might be heading for my next amp. :)
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3431
    edited July 2016

I have to say I think the DC30 series are more 'chimey' than the Lightning, having had both I think the Lightning is a bit more...constrained sounding than the c30, which sounds big, open, and lively. I also found the Lightning *harder* to control in lower volume settings. Odd but true :)
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    If I had the money and the lifting muscles I'd have snaffled your matchless, @Moe_Zambeek :)
    miserneil said:
    A used Bad Cat Black Cat is where the smart money is, SERIOUS amp for not a great deal of outlay. The newer models have the K Master which is apparently awesome and they have reverb too. I saw a couple not long ago barely fetch £900 on eBay. A Crime.

I have a very early Bad Cat Black Cat and I honestly don't think i'll part with that one.

Matchless Lightning too, that'll get you exactly where you want to be.
    My Black Cat combo has Matchless components and was £899 used. A lot of amp for that money. It doesnt leave the house much. THe LIghtning head is a lot more portable. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    Bad Cat Cub - if you like what they do, they are exceptional. Headroom isn't great - and they don't get 'really' dirty - but for 'barky' edge of break up, they are superb.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4203
    If try a Tone King Sky King, if you can find one secondhand