I have 2 electric guitars, am I less of a man?

What's Hot

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11630
    tFB Trader
    It's inversely proportional.

The more guitars, the less of a man you are.

The fewer you have, the more of a man you are.

Simple!

So extrapolating, 0 guitars means 100% manly. It's just simple maths really.
    So real men don't play guitar?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    The only person I can think of who seems to have played the same instrument live and on record is Danny Thompson, and he's a double bassist. 

The real test of manliness is whether you can pick an outfit not to clash with your guitar, and if you can get through a gig without chipping a nail. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Skarloey said:
    The only person I can think of who seems to have played the same instrument live and on record is Danny Thompson, and he's a double bassist. 

The real test of manliness is whether you can pick an outfit not to clash with your guitar, and if you can get through a gig without chipping a nail. 
    Brian May?
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    It's inversely proportional.

The more guitars, the less of a man you are.

The fewer you have, the more of a man you are.

Simple!

So extrapolating, 0 guitars means 100% manly. It's just simple maths really.
    You keep telling yourself that princess ;)
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I tried really hard to have just two guitars.

But I'm weak and have four.........
  • You would be more of a musician if you spend time playing them
    Steady!!! You'll be suggesting practicing next!!!!
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • I have 12 guitars and an exceptionally small penis.
    I also have a small penis, but it's not exceptional. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14370
    tFB Trader
    Moss said:
    Skarloey said:

Brian May?
    Brian May has many variations of his original guitar - Add a Tele on the odd track and there is a recording of him playing an LP Deluxe in early days - But yes he is an obvious candidate for playing 1 style - But then again he only plays Brian May style, so no trip into blues or shred that might need another style of guitar for a different flavour
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23085
    I have 12 guitars and an exceptionally small penis.
    Now you're just being modest.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Now you're just being modest.
    True it's quite lovely really. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @moss @guitars4you Brian May is a great shout. So is Rory. I suppose we could even cite players like Jeff Beck. Obviously he is associated with more than one guitar/ model, but he is something of a stayer with one guitar for a while before moving on (his current live white Strat has been no 1 for nudging 20 years I believe). 

But honestly Danny Thompson is the only musician I can recall in interviews saying he only has one instrument. 

Pierre Bensusan comes to mind too. I know he has used other guitars but he has that one he calls the Old Lady which is the mainstay. 

• Steve Vai obviously owns many many guitars. 
    The walls of his studio are covered with them, however he's iconically famous for  playing one main guitar at various stages
    modded Strat with Zappa
    Green Meanie Charvel with DLR
    and Evo the White Ibanez Jem for about 20 years now. 
    Hes chopped and changed but has stuck with each one at the time. 
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Moss said:
    Skarloey said:

Brian May?
    Brian May has many variations of his original guitar - Add a Tele on the odd track and there is a recording of him playing an LP Deluxe in early days - But yes he is an obvious candidate for playing 1 style - But then again he only plays Brian May style, so no trip into blues or shred that might need another style of guitar for a different flavour
    Does he really ? He has his original no.1 - this does the vast majority of ALL his electric playing. He does use a Telecaster for Crazy Little Thing Called Love. He recently has a Guyton Red Special semi hollow with F holes that now replaces his Telecaster, and also does an electro acoustic tone as well. He has a double neck - in the studio he'd occasionally record a 12 string electric with an old Burns 12 stringer. All his other Red Specials are just basically the same guitar - a Green Guyton, 2 Fryers one of which he has for his drop D moments like Fat Bottomed Girls/Headlong and he used to have one tuned down a semi tone when he did a couple of tours with Paul Rogers. Not sure he needs that now...he's even used pitch shifted tune downs via his TC rackmount FX units. 
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    There's nothing exceptional about a small penis round these parts...... apparently! 
  • My suhr will sell soon and then I'll only have two electrics, of the same type, too!

It's not even a cost issue, it's just space! And also, reducing the count so I'm not swapping guitars every time I practice. 

I will regret seeing it go but I'm not a touring rock star, I don't need so many guitars, they go under-utilised. 

I'll be glad to have the space back and be able to fund the new amp from the sale proceeds. 

The less gear I have, the better IMO. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    The problem I have with owning more is that I play each one less then feel a weird kind of guilt about owning all this stuff that rarely gets used. I have this with everything, not just guitar stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30310
    Get an assault rifle to compensate for the lack of manliness.
    That's what they do on TGP.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    I only have my Telecaster.

Not a big collector so if it isn't getting used its moved on.

I do plan to get an SG towards the end of the year though, so Ill have a Single coil or Humbucker option.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16780
    Number of guitars has nothing to do with manliness.

Having to ask if something makes you manly tells us everything we need to know ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Philly_Q said:
    Everyone here seems to have at least 12 minimum. 

Even though many of us have multiple guitars, I think the most common attitude on the forum is a slightly preachy "the fewer the better", "how many do you actually need", "you should spend more time playing than thinking about gear".

What a shit philosophy to have.

Have as many guitars as you can afford and have space for, the more the better. Rock and fuckin roll.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom