I have 2 electric guitars, am I less of a man?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23458
    Bucket said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Everyone here seems to have at least 12 minimum. 

Even though many of us have multiple guitars, I think the most common attitude on the forum is a slightly preachy "the fewer the better", "how many do you actually need", "you should spend more time playing than thinking about gear".

What a shit philosophy to have.

Have as many guitars as you can afford and have space for, the more the better. Rock and fuckin roll.
    I like @HarrySeven's philosophy.  I don't know why he buys some of those hundreds of guitars he acquires, but I think it's brilliant that he does.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8038
    Philly_Q said:

I like @HarrySeven's philosophy.  I don't know why he buys some of those hundreds of guitars he acquires, but I think it's brilliant that he does.

It's quite simple - I enjoy it. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11399
    I didn't fight two world wars to not have as many guitars as I want.

If you only want to have one guitar then sod off back to the Soviet Union.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalf said:

Oh you think the Soviet Union is crap eh?
    two words. 
    Ivan Drago!!!!

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23458
    scrumhalf said:

two words. 
    Ivan Drago!!!!

Yeah, but Rocky proved that running around in the snow and chopping logs and shit is better than all those computers and training machines.

I'm not sure what point I'm trying to make.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33884
    edited August 2016
    I've always admired a guitar player who has mastered one instrument - Guys like Rory Gallagher and Danny Gatton have pretty much accomplished a large portion of their work on one guitar - I know they had more than 1 guitar, but a large % of their work is on one guitar - 
    Not to nitpick but Danny didn't play one guitar throughout his career.
    He had his pinstripe Les Paul early on- recorded the early albums with that.

and his '53 Telecaster, that everyone knows.
    And he had a '56 ES295 that was used often, such as here:

• Philly_Q said:
    scrumhalf said:

two words. 
    Ivan Drago!!!!

Yeah, but Rocky proved that running around in the snow and chopping logs and shit is better than all those computers and training machines.

I'm not sure what point I'm trying to make.

But Drago had Bridgette Neilsson 
    Rocky only had his brother in law Pauly!!!!
    AND had to get brain damage to win. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14606
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    I've always admired a guitar player who has mastered one instrument - Guys like Rory Gallagher and Danny Gatton have pretty much accomplished a large portion of their work on one guitar - I know they had more than 1 guitar, but a large % of their work is on one guitar - 
    Not to nitpick but Danny didn't play one guitar throughout his career.
    He had his pinstripe Les Paul early on- recorded the early albums with that.

and his '53 Telecaster, that everyone knows.
    And he had a '56 ES295 that was used often, such as here:

I did say they had others but a large amount of work was carried out on 1 guitar - I knew about his 295 but not his LP - I'm sill struggling to think of a genuine 1 guitar player - Even Willie Nelson played other guitars - So it basically looks like it is okay to own many guitars - which is fine as golf players have many different clubs just to whack a ball in a field !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    edited August 2016
    Possibly slightly off-topic - but I think there's a certain romance about 'the' guitars played by famous players - think EC - Blackie, think SRV - No1 sunburst Strat, Roy Buchanan - 'Nancy', etc. It's as though something of their 'magic' is bound up in those specific guitars.
  • @professorben don't ruin Rocky for me! :)
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    I have one electric and one acoustic. And a clean Fender amp and no dirt pedals of any kind. And I hate football.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Possibly slightly off-topic - but I think there's a certain romance about 'the' guitars played by famous players - think EC - Blackie, think SRV - No1 sunburst Strat, Roy Buchanan - 'Nancy', etc. It's as though something of their 'magic' is bound up in those specific guitars.
    Yep, that's how I feel about my guitar........and my other.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited August 2016

I have one electric and one acoustic. And a clean Fender amp and no dirt pedals of any kind. And I hate football.
    Three out of Five ain't bad mate.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8038
    Possibly slightly off-topic - but I think there's a certain romance about 'the' guitars played by famous players - think EC - Blackie, think SRV - No1 sunburst Strat, Roy Buchanan - 'Nancy', etc. It's as though something of their 'magic' is bound up in those specific guitars.

However...the bit that I don't get (at all) is the whole Artist Signature thing - not even slightly. :(

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• slackerslacker Frets: 2267
    However...the bit that I don't get (at all) is the whole Artist Signature thing - not even slightly. :(
    Neither do I. I'm going to play my Les Paul now. 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2267
    We are all different, some people like playing guitars, some like collecting them. I sold a guitar last year and it puts my collection out of balance. I have a Les Paul which is my main guitar and two Rickenbackers that I use sometimes. I should really trade a Ric for a Les Paul. However I like my Rickenbackers even though I dont play them much. 

If I were a touring musician I would have three identical Les Pauls. One to play, one on stage as a spare and a backup just in case one failed, broke, went AWOL. 
  • slacker said:
    We are all different, some people like playing guitars, some like collecting them. I sold a guitar last year and it puts my collection out of balance. I have a Les Paul which is my main guitar and two Rickenbackers that I use sometimes. I should really trade a Ric for a Les Paul. However I like my Rickenbackers even though I dont play them much. 

If I were a touring musician I would have three identical Les Pauls. One to play, one on stage as a spare and a backup just in case one failed, broke, went AWOL. 
    This is my reasoning, I recently traded a Les Paul for a PRS CE24 as its a better match to my main squeeze a PRS CU22, it also handily has the exact same neck profile.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2753
    Who cares how many so long as you have a guitar that suits you playing and gigs/band.  If that means having several then great but it's the one you're playing at that moment that matters. 
  • John_P said:
    Who cares how many so long as you have a guitar that suits you playing and gigs/band.  If that means having several then great but it's the one you're playing at that moment that matters. 
    Wis.
  • slacker said:

This is my reasoning, I recently traded a Les Paul for a PRS CE24 as its a better match to my main squeeze a PRS CU22, it also handily has the exact same neck profile.
    This is what I meant in another thread when I said it's totally different going from my Suhr to PRS. Suhr is 22 fret and a different kind of guitar. Sure I can still play the two, but I'd rather master one... the harmonic positions are different and the way they handle are different. That sort of thing.