We're moving. Mad, or what?

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27674
    t the Mrs and I have utterly fallen in love with rural Suffolk, means we are planning to relocate somewhere considerably more rural. No definite timeframe, but we're both really excited about it.

Suffolk is generally pretty lovable @lasermonkey - although some parts are definitely more lovable than others.  Any idea what sort of areas you'll be looking at?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16778
    So this is where all theFretboard donations have gone  ;)

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    @TTony ideally somewhere along the A1120 corridor, or on the east side of the A140. Somewhat vague, I know! The immediate location is probably more important in the long run, Somewhere peaceful, with those wonderful Suffolk countryside views.
    Your new house looks stunning! I'm not ashamed to admit of being more than a little envious!

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    @lasermonkey - we're currently about 3miles from the A140/A1120 junction, so know the area fairly well after 16 years here.  When you get to the stage of looking seriously and if you want some local knowledge, let me know.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12420
    Looks an awesome place Tony. Don't envy you all the work but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end. 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4653
    What internet sped and you get?
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    TTony said:
    @lasermonkey - we're currently about 3miles from the A140/A1120 junction, so know the area fairly well after 16 years here.  When you get to the stage of looking seriously and if you want some local knowledge, let me know.
    I may well take you up on that! :-)
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6220
    tFB Trader
    No risk, no reward. Looks like a very cool investment opportunity and a beautiful home too. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Lovely. Best of luck and enjoy!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23077
    That's lovely.  

I couldn't, in a million years, deal with the big plot of land or all the hard work of renovating the buildings (he says, glancing down the corridor in the general direction of his avocado bathroom suite and 30-year-old kitchen units) but it's a beautiful place for someone else to own.
  • TroyTroy Frets: 224
    It looks very beautiful.
  • Looks great but way too much work. There's a guy at work who's been working on his house for 9 years. I just want to play guitar.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    If you've got the skills it's a no brainer. I don't. Looks amazing though... good luck!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

What internet sped and you get?
    Internet ???

Does it look like it has "internet" ???

;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11916
    Good luck, it looks like a lovely property  =)

(although my architecture background has taught me that never touch a listed property with a barge pole, mainly because all the legal difficulties in renovation, repairs and alterations, if you don't plan to do much of that, then you don't have a problem.)
    (although my architecture background has taught me that never touch a listed property with a barge pole, mainly because all the legal difficulties in renovation, repairs and alterations, if you don't plan to do much of that, then you don't have a problem.)
    That was always my impression too @RaymondLin ;

But a lot depends on the judgement of the local planning department, and how imaginative / persuasive your architect can be.  We've had very early and very informal *positive* feedback on what we're thinking of doing, so it's looking hopeful at this stage.

We're fortunate in that the original house has already been extended twice.  The first extension - front and side elevations - is built in brick rather than timber frame, but is still thatched.  The second is the 1960's single-story flat roofed eyesore at the rear.  Our plan is to hide the 1960s extension within a new and larger one which will be clearly differentiated and appear separated from the original house.  That's what we want to do, and it's (fortunately!) apparently in line with current planning guidelines.  The "win" for the planning dept is losing the eyesore and losing it in a way that ticks their current guidelines.  The "win" for us is c100m2 of space which will meet modern insulation/usability standards.

But we'll see ....
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Sounds and looks like a beautiful place to live Tony. Nice one!
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    That's a dream coming true right there.
    We both really hope that works out for you all.

The photo's are stunning.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Looks amazing, living the dream as lord of the manor! Congratulations.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    That looks awesome!