How do YOU play guitar ?¿?

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I just waffle through shapes and chords. I need to get my books out again, and actually get some sort of practice or method of learning involved again.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited January 2017
    In part addressing what @Barney was saying earlier, and for @Voxman too, here is a link to Premier Guitar's article on Nashville Number System (or Nashville Notation as I have heard it referred to).

It breaks a songs structure into intervallic relationships, and makes session or sideman work much easier should there be the need to play in a different key to that you are prepared for (i.e. moody singers / producers).  It breaks away from the strict adherence to a fixed, say, G,C,D change and calls them 1,4,5 (as in I, IV, V), which should be comparatively easy to transpose to any key (with a few obvious limitations over voicing).  Shift it up a gear at the end of the song to A (which is the new 1 chord) and it is still 1,4,5.  I hope that makes sense, anyway take a look at the article, it is very short, and also shows some other handy notation devices.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/The_Nashville_Number_System_Demystified

It is a "moveable" system akin to Solfege, which uses "Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Ti" to represent the seven scale degrees of the Major scale.  Think Julie Andrews and the Sound of Music for the archetypical Solfege example, which is intervalic.  The distance between each note is what creates the feel / sound of a scale, it is intervallic, and only tied down to the world of note names when you give it a key.  So, for instance, playing a 9th, #4 or ∆7 is an intervallic representation, whether chordal or melody, and is key independent.

The juxtaposition of melodic and bass intervals, and their timing, over the choice of chordal voicing gives music great emotive power IMO.

Again I hope that makes some sense, and I am very happy for anyone to give a better description or insight into this  :)

edit: also Wikipedia NNS here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville_number_system

Also, here is a link through to the Intervals and Ear Training thread

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/89046/intervals-and-ear-training#latest

Not a whole lot of response from intervallic players then, so I guess that means it is a minority approach ?

Here's Carl Verheyen's view:

REH Video Carl Verheyen Intervallic Rock  (he also did a book in 2002 on the subject)

Duration 1hour 5 mins