Was I unreasonable?

What's Hot

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4753
    To negotiate price, shipping, or payment options, please send a message or make an offer.

Perhaps this is what leads me to believe I should have heard from the buyer.  This is what is says in my "shop".

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think the buyer was having 'real life fun' too. 
    Buying a nice guitar for a great price. 
    Who mentioned fun ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ok.  One final question for you all.  You've seen a guitar you fancy on a website.  It's being sold by an individual, not a shop.  If you don't like it, you won't get your money back.

Do you contact the seller or just send a four figure sum to the seller, sight unseen, and hope it's OK?

And ignore whether or not it might have faults - it doesn't.

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In your first post you said you had refunded the buyer. 

A while later you post an email from t'he buyer' showing 'buyers remorse' and offering you £10 for your trouble. 

So which was it?
    Did you refund him first as you said?
    Did the poor sod then have to send you £10 back?! Lol

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5422
    edited August 2016
    rlw said:
    Ok.  One final question for you all.  You've seen a guitar you fancy on a website.  It's being sold by an individual, not a shop.  If you don't like it, you won't get your money back.

Do you contact the seller or just send a four figure sum to the seller, sight unseen, and hope it's OK?

In the case that you simply "don't like it" you probably won't get a refund, but that's why you sometimes get a bargain.  I've bought loads of things (guitars and otherwise) via eBay etc, some I've not bonded with and ended up selling on. That's part & parcel of buying privately second hand.
    The extra money you would pay to a retailer (by this I mean someone like GAK/Andertons/GuitarGuitar) is the ability to try a guitar and have the option of returning it "in it's original condition" if you decide it's not for you. Well, that and for the warranty should it break.

But on ebay/reverb you WILL get your money back if there's something wrong: damaged/fake etc- not saying this is you- merely that if an item is not as advertised.
    . That's the whole point of these sites and the reason you pay PayPal fees- so that you can buy with confidence that if things aren't as they should be you have recourse to appeal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7688
    edited August 2016
    rlw said:
    To negotiate price, shipping, or payment options, please send a message or make an offer.

Perhaps this is what leads me to believe I should have heard from the buyer.  This is what is says in my "shop".

He didn't want to negotiate on any of those things - he was happy with the terms you have up in your 'shop'

It seems to me that you just didn't pay close enough attention when you set up the ad. It also seems that this is also the prevailing view. and given the premise of the thread was to seek clarification on what people thought about your view, we're done here right? 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2016
    Phew...

How could I refund him first when I didn't even know I'd got the money.   

Timescale.

Saturday afternoon.

He sends me money.
    He suffers buyers remorse.
    He sees a way out of the situation.
    He is now happy with his purchase.

Sunday morning

I discover, quite by chance, a lot of money in my paypal account and wonder WTF.
    I find that a bloke I've never heard of, or from, has bought my LP without asking a single question or discussing shipping.
    I refund him and incur further charges so he is not out of pocket.  

(Foolishly), I seek clarification  - not absolution, not approval, not anything else in fact - of what I perceive as an odd way of buying a guitar.

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    edited August 2016
    rlw said:
    MattFGBI said:
    Excellent thread. 
    Glad you like it :-)

I'm trying to get my VAT return done, very unsuccessfully at the moment.... 
    Take amount earnt and deduct 20 percent.

That's your vat...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    rlw said:
    MattFGBI said:
    Excellent thread. 

That's your vat...
    No it isn't.  On that basis it's 16.67 percent.

And what about the expenses..................

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    rlw said:
    rlw said:
    MattFGBI said:
    Excellent thread. 

That's your vat...

Deducting 20 percent from a total is 16.67?!?!

I can see why you are having issue
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16906
    The buyer had remorse, but realised he was being a dick so decided to honour the offer he had made.  That is a good buyer.

You talk about offers being made...you made the opening offer when you listed the guitar.  If the buyer had made a counter offer you would have had the option to accept or reject.  Instead he accepted your opening offer.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    rlw said:
    rlw said:
    MattFGBI said:
    Excellent thread. 

That's your vat...

rlw said:
    rlw said:
    MattFGBI said:
    Excellent thread. 

That's your vat...

If the total sales are £100 the VAT is £16.67, not £20.  Sorry, I'm not the one with the problem here.

20% is added to the net total but 16.67% is deducted from the gross total.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rlw said:
    rlw said:
    rlw said:
    MattFGBI said:
    Excellent thread. 

That's your vat...

rlw said:
    rlw said:
    MattFGBI said:
    Excellent thread. 

That's your vat...

If the total sales are £100 the VAT is £16.67, not £20.  Sorry, I'm not the one with the problem here.

20% is added to the net total but 16.67% is deducted from the gross total.
    Nicely diverted. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    @rlw have you been drinking?!

I seriously don't understand what you problem is:
    1. You advertised a guitar for sale on the Internet at a price you were happy with.
    2. PayPal was one of the payment options you were happy to accept.
    3. Somebody who you don't know (because the guitar was advertised on the Internet) buys the guitar - at your asking price.
    4. You are somehow unhappy...
    From the buyer's perspective there is no negotiation required, they have paid your asking price and paid via a method you accepted - what's to negotiate?

If you list something on eBay as a Buy-It-Now and somebody buys it would you expect them to negotiate with you?

It would seem pretty much anyone that's commented here is of a similar opinion.

Today has obviously not been a good day for you. If I were you I'd chalk this one down to experience and move on.

Tomorrow is another day - just make sure you don't wake up with a hangover! ;)
    We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24780
    rlw said:
    OK.  Seems I'm in the wrong here so that is taken on board.  Lesson learned.

I'm still surprised that I got no choice to accept or decline the offer though.   When I sold my PRRI last week, there was an email from reverb that said I had an offer which I could accept/decline/counter, whether the full price was offered, which it was, or not.

I chose to accept in that instance.  I wasn't given the option in this.   Anyway, there you go.

You realise you have completely ruined your first sentence now?

YOU made the offer to sell. He accepted and sent you the money.

Most online used sales platforms are not traditional shops in that they are not an "invitation to treat"

He accepted your offer in the terms that you presented you moan about it? There was no need for negotiation because there wasn't any! He accepted all of your terms. You don't get to change them after it has been accepted. You don't negotiate on settled terms!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24780
    rlw said:

You mean just like on an eBay Buy It Now sale?

Happens millions of times every day.
    TonyR said:
    @rlw have you been drinking?!

I seriously don't understand what you problem is:
    1. You advertised a guitar for sale on the Internet at a price you were happy with.
    2. PayPal was one of the payment options you were happy to accept.
    3. Somebody who you don't know (because the guitar was advertised on the Internet) buys the guitar - at your asking price.
    4. You are somehow unhappy...
    From the buyer's perspective there is no negotiation required, they have paid your asking price and paid via a method you accepted - what's to negotiate?

If you list something on eBay as a Buy-It-Now and somebody buys it would you expect them to negotiate with you?

It would seem pretty much anyone that's commented here is of a similar opinion.

Today has obviously not been a good day for you. If I were you I'd chalk this one down to experience and move on.

Tomorrow is another day - just make sure you don't wake up with a hangover! ;)

No to the first question, but I might in a minute.

Anyway, very wise words and, clearly, I'm in the wrong.  

I do, however, still have a very nice LP for sale........................ :-)

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    rlw said:

You mean just like on an eBay Buy It Now sale?

Happens millions of times every day.
    Surely not?
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    rlw said:

I do, however, still have a very nice LP for sale........................ :-)

Sorry fella, not my thing, but GLWTS. ;)
    We are all Chameleons...
This discussion has been closed.