Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

That Pedal Show - Friedman BE OD wanted

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Hmmm, Engl should be clean enough, I'd say. That's really strange, there's plenty of range in it to get something out of those controls.

@professorben, Laney Lionheart L20H, immaculately clean. :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Interesting.    A shame it didn't work how you wanted.
    I thought one of the strong points in the clips I've watched was how well it responds to different amps - Pete Thorn makes a big deal of this and runs it into clean and dirty amps, even showing how the eq will cope with a bright switch that usually makes drive pedals struggle. 
  • Yeah, I've not found a drive pedal yet my Engl Screamer won't play nicely with........
    maybe a bit more experimentation needed?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.

• Hmmm, Engl should be clean enough, I'd say. That's really strange, there's plenty of range in it to get something out of those controls.

Cool, that's a kind of Vox like tone? Or am I totally off the mark?
  • @professorben ;Not far off at all mate. I'm addicted to it, beautiful amplifiers.

• My amp is a Lazy J20.....what do you reckon the Friedman pedal would sound like paired with it?
    thanks

Jon 
  • @JonHosker good!

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    JonHosker said:
    My amp is a Lazy J20.....what do you reckon the Friedman pedal would sound like paired with it?
    thanks

Jon 
    Hmm, I'm not so sure. Mine arrived today and I gave it a quick blast through the living room Swart and it sounded great. I'll try it with the J20 tomorrow.

I spent over an hr on it and the pedal just doesn't cut it with this amp. sounds thin with no bollocks like in the demos. Not the end of the world  

I spent over an hr on it and the pedal just doesn't cut it with this amp. sounds thin with no bollocks like in the demos. Not the end of the world  
    Fair enough, I guess some just pairing don't work, what cab are you running? 

Cornford 2x12 with V30's
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited September 2016
    simonk said:
    JonHosker said:
    My amp is a Lazy J20.....what do you reckon the Friedman pedal would sound like paired with it?
    thanks

Jon 
    Hmm, I'm not so sure. Mine arrived today and I gave it a quick blast through the living room Swart and it sounded great. I'll try it with the J20 tomorrow.
    It's an epic pedal! Tried it through 5 different amps and it loved all of them, including the J20. It's gone straight on the board and will be gigged tomorrow night with my MJW Bantam. Considering the amount of gain it's capable of I didn't think it was noisy.

I did a very hasty iPhone recording of some lap steel with the BE-OD into the Bantam. It was quite loud and borderline clipping the mic, and the playing was a bit shit etc etc

https://soundcloud.com/the_supernatural/holy-shit

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited September 2016
    It's a nice simple looking pedal (which I imagine is harder than it looks to do).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Cornford 2x12 with V30's
    Yeah the issue is not the cab then. 
    Although V30's can be a bit top-mid harsh. 
  • Hi guys, I ordered one from Peach too.  Sounds superb through my Hamstead into 1 x 12 with Warehouse 65 watt...  I had to knock the presence on the pedal down a fair bit and dropped the internal gain trim pot down to around 10 o'clock.  That presence & treble balance seems critical to get it to work.  Loads of sustain, very easy to play...  I think it's going to knock my Plexidrive Deluxe off the board which is saying something.  Chucked a kokoboost and a velvet fuzz into the front of it with no issues.  VERY nice.

I thought the enclosure was a bit naff though...  Light, but that is a piece of plastic slapped on the top unless I'm mistaken.  It's no Suhr enclosure that's for sure!
  • @Fortheloveofguitar ;
    might be worth looking at this video, around the 12:39 mark, he plays the BE-OD through 12 different amps.

• i had another good run through mine today and I must say it's a pretty incredible sound from a small pedal. It does capture that Friedman sleek feeling that the amps have. I'm yet to try it at serious volume but it's by a mile the best high gain OD i've ever played through.

• Wonderful, wonderful thing. It makes my Princeton sound ridiculous (in good way!), my Cornell Voyager 20 loves it, as does my Mesa Mk V (running EL 34s). My advice? Do it. Do it now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Fortheloveofguitar ;
    might be worth looking at this video, around the 12:39 mark, he plays the BE-OD through 12 different amps.

Thanks buddy much appreciated but I sent it back yesterday 
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 607
    edited September 2016
    The key to this pedal is dial it in with your ears and not your eyes, i have tried it with several amps and it requires different eq settings for every amp ,sometimes with the treble and presence almost off on some brighter amps, I ran it through a dr z db4 today and it sounded epic
    Also with my friedman amps the pedal required adjusting to each amp, is it as good as a full sized friedman amp at full chat, no , Is it better than some amps overdrive channel yes,  as a pedal its the best distortion pedal ive come across without a doubt.