Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

That Pedal Show - Friedman BE OD wanted

What's Hot

Comments

• DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    So spent a bit more time with it this morning.

Noise wise, there is some but I checked it against my Plexi Drive Deluxe and it's the same as that so I'm no longer too worried about the pedal being faulty.

Using it with the Dirty Shirley 40 which has its volume on 7 and gain between 2/4 it sounds fine no issues with noise with a full sweep of gain dial.

If I run the Shirley with the gain on around 7 then we're into complete mess with feedback at pretty much anywhere with the pedal being on.

My intention was to use it as a faux second channel for the DS which seems like it should be able to do with a bit of fine tuning.

Sounds wise I've never played a BE amp so I'm unsure on how close it gets you to that sound but it was able to dial in some early Metallica and Maiden which id not been able to quite get right with the DS on its own.

I will try it in my McFly later to see how that amp likes it.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanR said:
    So spent a bit more time with it this morning.

Noise wise, there is some but I checked it against my Plexi Drive Deluxe and it's the same as that so I'm no longer too worried about the pedal being faulty.

Using it with the Dirty Shirley 40 which has its volume on 7 and gain between 2/4 it sounds fine no issues with noise with a full sweep of gain dial.

If I run the Shirley with the gain on around 7 then we're into complete mess with feedback at pretty much anywhere with the pedal being on.

My intention was to use it as a faux second channel for the DS which seems like it should be able to do with a bit of fine tuning.

Sounds wise I've never played a BE amp so I'm unsure on how close it gets you to that sound but it was able to dial in some early Metallica and Maiden which id not been able to quite get right with the DS on its own.

I will try it in my McFly later to see how that amp likes it.

Hey Dan. If your going to use as a boost for the ds then I would suggest you take the trim pot all the way down as these are  meant to be run into a clean amp for drive. I've tried it with my jj and ss as a boost doing this and it's fine with the trim down . I've also run into a clean channel of a hot rod deville iii and it's by far the most amp like pedal I've used and a lot better than the suhr riot I used to have. Hope this helps fella as I've encountered no noise issues at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    edited September 2016
    @leerocker When I ordered it I only had the McFly but since then I got the DS.

Ive been using my Archer to boost the Shirley and that works better for that job.

I think the trim pots at about 9 after fiddling as well.

• Pull it all the way back Dan and it will work a charm with the ds. That amp takes boosts and overdrive superbly 
  • Think im going to wait 2 months until half of these appear in the classifieds..this feels very Tgp! ;)
    Indeed

Looks like the same is happening the helix and fx8. They are hitting low 700s too.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Think im going to wait 2 months until half of these appear in the classifieds..this feels very Tgp! ;)
    Indeed

Looks like the same is happening the helix and fx8. They are hitting low 700s too.
    Yes. A bit taken an back by the sudden helix price drop. But then high end digital gear has never held value.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Yes. A bit taken an back by the sudden helix price drop. But then high end digital gear has never held value.
    And never will though that's true for all tech.
  • Sounds like its a belter from the comments so far :)

I've just ordered one from Peach whilst they still have them in stock so hoping it sounds sweet through my Engl ironball clean channel
    Id be interested in your results, as I'm running a Screamer. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.

I've just ordered one from Peach whilst they still have them in stock so hoping it sounds sweet through my Engl ironball clean channel

Someone suggested running it in the fx return of the amp for a more organic tone rather than the front end 

Someone suggested running it in the fx return of the amp for a more organic tone rather than the front end 
    That someone is a bellend
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Haha

Mines arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to it 

Haha

Let me know, it's a bit over my budget but with Christmas round the corner you never know, I'm looking for a good partner to my Keeley mod Blues Driver.

Haha

Let me know, it's a bit over my budget but with Christmas round the corner you never know, I'm looking for a good partner to my Keeley mod Blues Driver.

I'm not into pedals really but like the BE tone but no way im
    paying for the amp as I only play at home these days and looks to be a solution. 

Haha

I'm not into pedals really but like the BE tone but no way im
    paying for the amp as I only play at home these days and looks to be a solution. 

There's no way I'm paying over £3k for an amp even if I was gigging every weekend. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well it arrived today and it's going back tomorrow 

Doesn't work well with my amp at all unfortunately and doesn't sound good

Not the end of the world and it sounds like a great pedal just not with this particular amp

• Dear lord, the Friedman pedal arrived today from @peachguitarsdotcom and jesus, it's really beefy and nice. I wanted to try it against my two mid/high gainers to see which came out the best...It's got the tone of the Marvel Drive (Marshall flavoured, obviously), with a nice midrange and bottom end. But it's got the tightness of the Amptweaker Tight Metal Pro. The best of both of those pedals in one. So I think I'll probably stick with it. It's lovely to be fair.

The Marvel is a stunning, stunning pedal and works beautifully. The Amptweaker benefits from more controls, but I think the Friedman does too, can really fine tune to your tastes. 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Well it arrived today and it's going back tomorrow 

Doesn't work well with my amp at all unfortunately and doesn't sound good

Not the end of the world and it sounds like a great pedal just not with this particular amp

Hmmmmm deets man deets.

• Dear lord, the Friedman pedal arrived today from @peachguitarsdotcom and jesus, it's really beefy and nice. I wanted to try it against my two mid/high gainers to see which came out the best...It's got the tone of the Marvel Drive (Marshall flavoured, obviously), with a nice midrange and bottom end. But it's got the tightness of the Amptweaker Tight Metal Pro. The best of both of those pedals in one. So I think I'll probably stick with it. It's lovely to be fair.

The Marvel is a stunning, stunning pedal and works beautifully. The Amptweaker benefits from more controls, but I think the Friedman does too, can really fine tune to your tastes. 
    What amp?
  • Yeah, @Fortheloveofguitar , are you playing into a clean or dirty amp? If your clean channel isn't clean enough, it may not sound too great.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Yeah, @Fortheloveofguitar , are you playing into a clean or dirty amp? If your clean channel isn't clean enough, it may not sound too great.
    Clean channel of my Engl ironball but it's not fender clean