Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Brexit - what do the experts say now?

What's Hot
I can remember @Evilmags  telling us that  economists employed in the city were instructed to support "remain"

2 months on,  what new opinions have been  revealed?
I saw this one

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-3769498/I-m-certain-European-Union-s-doomed-says-Nobel-prize-winner-advised-Bill-Clinton-chief-economist-World-Bank.html

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Its 1939 all over again and we're in a phoney war :)) May knows that 2017 is going to be tough for France and Germany - better to negotiate with them then, when their confidence about their own future is lower.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I can remember @Evilmags  telling us that  economists employed in the city were instructed to support "remain"

2 months on,  what new opinions have been  revealed?
    I saw this one

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-3769498/I-m-certain-European-Union-s-doomed-says-Nobel-prize-winner-advised-Bill-Clinton-chief-economist-World-Bank.html

Interesting read!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    I'm just over the moon to have my sovereignty back. How I coped without it for so long is a mystery to me.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

10reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I'm sure all of the experts on this forum will be ready to chip in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    I'm sure all of the experts on this forum will be ready to chip in.
    I feel I can call myself an expert. 
    I have strong opinions, a loud voice and no sense of when to stop. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    I'm sure all of the so called experts on this forum will be ready to chip in.
    Fixed that for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I think the expert and carefully researched opinion on Brexiteers is unchanged.
    Legendary pollster John Curtice never said that Leavers are "a bit thick".
    He said that his research shows that they tend to be Uneducated.

Of course there may be some overlap.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Gassage said:
    I'm just over the moon to have my sovereignty back. How I coped without it for so long is a mystery to me.
    We haven't left the EU yet ....

All the dire threats from the Remoaners were just lies.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurq said:
    Not really much different to the thoughts on it yesterday, the day before or even a few months ago. We're too small to get priority, and once we leave we're not as good an investment as we once were (given that a lot of foreign companies used UK investment as a gateway into the EU).
    <space for hire>
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The BBC is a remainers whine zone. Obama is yesterday's news as well so anything he says is worth taking worth a pinch of salt. 

Most expert opinion os now more worried about Trump. 
  • Evilmags said:
    The BBC is a remainers whine zone. Obama is yesterday's news as well so anything he says is worth taking worth a pinch of salt. 

Most expert opinion os now more worried about Trump. 
    have all those gagged economists you mentioned now  been freer with their opinions than before the vote?
    johnnyurq said:
    Not really much different to the thoughts on it yesterday, the day before or even a few months ago. We're too small to get priority, and once we leave we're not as good an investment as we once were (given that a lot of foreign companies used UK investment as a gateway into the EU).
    Why? Even if we don't have a trade deal the WTO tariffs aren't too bad once you factor in EU red tape, labour laws and the EUs economic and tax policies.

The UK should have low corporation tax, cut red tape and free the City of London to compete for business. The EU is in decline. Boing is moving it's European HQ to the UK and over the coming months there will be £30 billion worth of floatation's on the London Stock Exchange.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1963
    Fretwired said:
    johnnyurq said:
    Why? Even if we don't have a trade deal the WTO tariffs aren't too bad once you factor in EU red tape, labour laws and the EUs economic and tax policies.

The UK should have low corporation tax, cut red tape and free the City of London to compete for business. The EU is in decline. Boing is moving it's European HQ to the UK and over the coming months there will be £30 billion worth of floatation's on the London Stock Exchange.
    Not really true. EU red tape will apply like never before for our exporters. All of the paperwork / processes for export carnets will kick in once we leave. Of course we deal with this already for existing WTO based trade but seeing as most of our trade is with EU, it will have an unwanted impact. 
    exocet said:
    Fretwired said:
    johnnyurq said:

Not really true. EU red tape will apply like never before for our exporters. All of the paperwork / processes for export carnets will kick in once we leave. Of course we deal with this already for existing WTO based trade but seeing as most of our trade is with EU, it will have an unwanted impact. 
    You misunderstood - I'm talking about people investing in the UK. Lower corporation taxes and red tape will offset the hit from tariffs - anyone exporting to the EU will have to comply with EU rules but if you've ever tried setting up a business in France you'll know its not easy. The UK will still be an attractive place to setup a business.

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The economists over here are quite envious. The shock from the vote was so small it was hardly felt (except in the hearts of SJWs, diddums). The French are pissed as they lose subsidy. The Germans are more worried about losing trade. 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    That was an interesting article about Stiglitz. Merkel has been the acceptable face of German paternalism towards the poor EU nations. As her departure approaches, the whole EU political dynamic will change.
  • johnnyurq said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I'm sure all of the so called experts on this forum will be ready to chip in.
    Fixed that for you.

And lo it thusly came to pass.
  • Fretwired said:
    Gassage said:
    We haven't left the EU yet ....

All the dire threats from the Remoaners were just lies.

You quite sure about that?

Despite where the links came from isn't it a concern places Japan are saying there is a good chance they will resite theri HQ?

Oh wait no the leave camp's entrenched views are as dumb as the extremes of the left subsribe to. So head in sand for any of the bad news and possible bad outcomes.

As nothing really has happened or changed as yet and we have already have negative effects of differing sorts. Nobody has the wisdom of how this will end up just so called experts here asseting it is all gonna be OK as I said it would.

i just don't buy it just as much a s I don't buy some of the more extreme points put across by similalry deluded remainers.

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    What will happen with the jungle camp at Calais and its 10000 current inhabitants growing daily...