Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Goodbye Apple, I'm off to the dark side!

What's Hot

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

24reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've only had Android phones and, thus far, no serious problems.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My phone is apple and my work phone is android. Android is so much nicer to use IMO.  Would not buy another iPhone.  
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    edited September 2016
    Apple user. Not a power user, don't need half the stuff that comes with phones these days.  The furore over the headphone jack is media and Apple instigated to give it the exposure it needs to get the discussion over and done with. Great move, yes they do have "courage" to do it but real courage would have been shown by not including the adapter!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I wont use a phone that doesn't have a file manager and that I can't just put files on without cocking about.

My 1 plus 1 is the best phone I've ever used. Thinking of upgrading to the 1 plus 3.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BensonBenson Frets: 242
    A typically mixed response, nothing like a good holy war to start off a weekend :)

New phone due this morning, bought it from John Lewis to take advantage of the 90 day return policy and two year warranty. 

I tried this a few years back with a Galaxy S3. It didn't last long and the phone went back but hey I'm more grown up now ... I think :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    edited September 2016
    TheMarlin said:
    I tried Android, was a complete shambles. Malware is rampant, reliability an issue, and build quality poor.  
    You're aware that Android (unlike Apple/iPhone) isn't a single entity. It's just an OS. Build quality? I've not once had malware in 7-8 years of Android and no anti-virus.

It's fine if you're an Apple fanboy, but come on
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a hand-me-down iPhone 5, which I wanted because of the smaller physical size. Prior to that I had an Android phone. I preferred the Android experience in every way, including interfacing with my Macbook. As per @Drew_TNBD, if your brain is wired to want a file manager, iTunes is a frickin' grim replacement.

The software update situation with Android phones can be "spotty" to say the least.

Anyway my iPhone fits in my pocket so it's staying until they make a small and good android phone!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • I had a Samsung Galaxy 2. Really tried to like it, hadn't had an iPhone at this point.  Was a heap of plastic crap, had nothing but trouble with it.

Dabbled with Windows mobile, no decent apps, and no new apps incoming. Doesn't work well with Salesforce or Microsoft Office 365. 

Was recently given a new Archos tablet.  Great screen, otherwise a heap of crap. 

I want my devices to work, I rely on them for my income, my business. 

Im not an Apple fanboy.  I have never had a Mac.  Have no interest in getting one.  Don't have an iPad. Considering getting a Surface Pro 4 as my tablet on the go...  But, my next phone will almost certainly be another iPhone.  They just work. No fuss. 
  • Macs and iPhones are great most of the time, just as most high end Windows laptops and high-end Android phones are great. 

Most complaints always seem to stem from "it doesn't work how I'm used to other devices working and therefore is rubbish", which is a pretty weak argument. (FWIW I mean that in both directions!)

The fact that we are reduced to these arguments means we are living in "the future", which is awesome and whining is a bit silly.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • It's about time they did away with headphone jacks, in my opinion. The jack going is the main reason I've just changed my phone. And the wires are always getting in the way, no matter what I do. I got a good 3yrs+ out of it, mind you.

I've had Android phones for about 7 years now and never had any malware issues. I think, as long as you're careful about what you're downloading, it's not an issue. 

I've gone for a Galaxy S7 and I'm happy with it so far. Had an S4(I think) a few years ago which was very nice. The only thing I didn't like was the flimsy construction. That seems a bit better with the S7.

I have a Mac and ipad I use for music so an iPhone would be easier. But I do find IOS very constricting and it would cost me an extra £10 a month (ish) for a comparable phone. Plus, I don't like to put all my eggs in the same basket! They are starting to get it together with android for music applications so I'm interested to see what they come up with. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10441
    Here's what I think are some factual differences between the 2 big players of phone

The iPhone is the best build quality for the simple reason a metal built stomp box is better quality than a plastic one. The Samsung phones are generally plastic and rely on brass inserts to secure the screws ... the iphone milled housing is tapped directly. The iPhone has  a more robust DC charge \ data socket too .. The PCB is very high quality and capable of surviving some fairly intensive heat when reworking and removing chips.  In short it's better built

The very things that annoy people about the IOS are the very things that make it secure. No you can't use an SD card, no you can't write directly to the drive when tethered ... from the ground up, the very first piece of code hardwired in the chip the system relies on the chain of trust. There's no way to access or defeat the security, not even for the FBI.  All the aps are sandboxed. Android is great, you can tether it, write directly to almost anywhere,  use an SD card for more storage and install all kinds of things ...... but you are more likely to get a virus on an Android phone because of these easy access points.  

Personally I think a phone that's somewhere between the 2 would be the best compromise 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlin said:
    I had a Samsung Galaxy 2. Really tried to like it, hadn't had an iPhone at this point.  Was a heap of plastic crap, had nothing but trouble with it.

Dabbled with Windows mobile, no decent apps, and no new apps incoming. Doesn't work well with Salesforce or Microsoft Office 365. 

Was recently given a new Archos tablet.  Great screen, otherwise a heap of crap. 

Im not an Apple fanboy.  I have never had a Mac.  Have no interest in getting one.  Don't have an iPad. Considering getting a Surface Pro 4 as my tablet on the go...  But, my next phone will almost certainly be another iPhone.  They just work. No fuss. 
    Hang on...your experience of Android is from a phone made 5 years ago and a cheap-as-hell tablet? Not to mention that the S2 was well-known for its problems. Android itself has had a lot of major improvements since then, and the Galaxy lineup is vastly better (and higher-spec/performance than any of the iPhones).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10441
    TheMarlin said:
    I had a Samsung Galaxy 2. Really tried to like it, hadn't had an iPhone at this point.  Was a heap of plastic crap, had nothing but trouble with it.

Hang on...your experience of Android is from a phone made 5 years ago and a cheap-as-hell tablet? Not to mention that the S2 was well-known for its problems. Android itself has had a lot of major improvements since then, and the Galaxy lineup is vastly better (and higher-spec/performance than any of the iPhones).
    Have they sorted the latency thing out audio wise ?
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Danny1969 said:
    Here's what I think are some factual differences between the 2 big players of phone

The iPhone is the best build quality for the simple reason a metal built stomp box is better quality than a plastic one. The Samsung phones are generally plastic and rely on brass inserts to secure the screws ... the iphone milled housing is tapped directly. The iPhone has  a more robust DC charge \ data socket too .. The PCB is very high quality and capable of surviving some fairly intensive heat when reworking and removing chips.  In short it's better built

The very things that annoy people about the IOS are the very things that make it secure. No you can't use an SD card, no you can't write directly to the drive when tethered ... from the ground up, the very first piece of code hardwired in the chip the system relies on the chain of trust. There's no way to access or defeat the security, not even for the FBI.  All the aps are sandboxed. Android is great, you can tether it, write directly to almost anywhere,  use an SD card for more storage and install all kinds of things ...... but you are more likely to get a virus on an Android phone because of these easy access points.  

Personally I think a phone that's somewhere between the 2 would be the best compromise 
    Bit of a sketchy definition of "facts" there Danny boy.

There are many Android phones that are made of metal, and not all iPhones avoided plastic.

Build quality is pretty even across devices these days imho. <---- opinion.

And Lack of SD card =/= security

What was it that Ben Franklin said? Oh yes...

"Those who would give up SD card support for security, deserve neither"

I'm paraphrasing. ;)

And yeah.... FBI can't catch terrorists. Good one Apple.

Their closed eco-system is nothing more than the tech equivalent of WACO.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlin said:

Hey man. I totally get that people get attached to certain OS and just prefer to use it as it's more intuitive for their liking. And that is totally cool. Same goes for features. For instance - the design was always nicer on iPhones but camera much worse (even on latest 6 Plus S pictures taken in poor light conditions are awful) etc. 

But to make statements like yours regarding iPhones being better then android phones and as example coming up with a crap like Galaxy S2 was (I've had it - I know) I would rather suggest to get out of the cave and use few more modern devices so you could compare them appropriately. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933

Most complaints always seem to stem from "it doesn't work how I'm used to other devices working and therefore is rubbish", which is a pretty weak argument. (FWIW I mean that in both directions!)
    Couldn't agree more! Look at the backlash towards Windows 8 (hides).
  • 99% of users don't need all the open file system stuff Android users love. I've always felt that Apple stuff is aimed at people who just want to use the device and don't care about what's under the bonnet. I'm just a big fan of looking under the bonnet - I might want to install s/w that didn't necessarily come from an app store.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• oafoaf Frets: 300
    99% of users don't need all the open file system stuff Android users love. I've always felt that Apple stuff is aimed at people who just want to use the device and don't care about what's under the bonnet. I'm just a big fan of looking under the bonnet - I might want to install s/w that didn't necessarily come from an app store.
    I think Apple's issue is that anything you might be able to install without them means they don't see a cut of the spend. I expect money has driven the removal of the headphone socket (and changes to the dock connnection in the past too).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I should point out that I'm not anti Apple or someone who worships at The Android Altar. I just stuck with 'droids because I could.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi