Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Goodbye Apple, I'm off to the dark side!

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    FX_Munkee said:
    Try writing code for Android and IOS, you'll soon learn to loathe them both in equal measure. Although IOS is possibly slightly more contemptable....
    Use JUCE.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    Try writing code for Android and IOS, you'll soon learn to loathe them both in equal measure. Although IOS is possibly slightly more contemptable....
    Use JUCE.
    I have to work a bit closer to the metal than that unfortunately.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Drew_TNBD said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    Use JUCE.
    Bodybuilding thread's >>>> that way

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

FX_Munkee said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    Use JUCE.
    I have to work a bit closer to the metal than that unfortunately.
    boooooooo
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2169
    edited September 2016
    I had a 3gs. I used to take really good care of it (two cases etc) the phone looked brand new. 
    I did a software update and overnight I couldn't get a signal anywhere apart from my desk at work. 
    I spoke to a "genius" at an Apple store who said the plastic in the sim card may have aged?? I said well it's internal, no way for it to get worn down etc .
    I got a new sim from O2. Still no joy.  Back to visit the "genius" as the phone was just out of warranty it would have been £140 to get fixed. 
    My friend did exactly the same, software update and then her phone was useless. Funnily enough software update was around the same time the iPhone 4 had just been announced.
    Me and my barge pole will not touch anything apple related.

I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I should point out that I'm not anti Apple or someone who worships at The Android Altar. I just stuck with 'droids because I could.

So they were the droids you are looking for?
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    bob21 said:
    He asked the assembled crew (15 or so of us) if anyone had a whichever-variety-of-stupid-usb charger.. 11 people laughed and offered an iPhone charger!
    You mean the stupid USB connector that the entire developed technological world* apart from Apple uses?

*Exaggeration for effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10441
    Bidley said:
    bob21 said:
    He asked the assembled crew (15 or so of us) if anyone had a whichever-variety-of-stupid-usb charger.. 11 people laughed and offered an iPhone charger!
    You mean the stupid USB connector that the entire developed technological world* apart from Apple uses?

Yes a connector that was never designed for charging, a connector that is truly the worse thing you could use to achieve charging. I honestly don't know how it came to be so widely used . The number one repair I do to Android tablets and phones is the stupid micro USB port. I mean you need 4 pins to cover charging and data transfer, ground, volts, D+ and D- ....... there are so many better connectors out there. God knows why they picked that, Blackberry started it I think
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:
    Bidley said:
    bob21 said:

Yes a connector that was never designed for charging, a connector that is truly the worse thing you could use to achieve charging. I honestly don't know how it came to be so widely used . The number one repair I do to Android tablets and phones is the stupid micro USB port. I mean you need 4 pins to cover charging and data transfer, ground, volts, D+ and D- ....... there are so many better connectors out there. God knows why they picked that, Blackberry started it I think
    You are the ghost of Steve Jobs and ICM £5.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2016
    Danny1969 said:
    The number one repair I do to Android tablets and phones is the stupid micro USB port.
    What about the myriad non-Android appliances that use micro USB? How many of those repairs are due to the connector being broken, i.e. stress on the port etc? Don't tell me, if they were all Apple designs they would've been avoided, I know I know...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Lol @Bidley ;

I'm an electronics engineer, if it's a shit design I notice it. The fact I'm always replacing micro USB ports tells me they aren't robust enough for the task. It's too delicate a connector. It's not an Apple fan boy thing. Every defense I make of their products is purely from an engineers point of view. 90% of their products design INCLUDING the charging connectors are better thought out than the competition from an engineers point of view.  

Lighting ports can break .... they wear on the inside so eventually the male pins won't mate. But it is a more robust connector in general than a micro USB ... But here's another good bit of design... on every Apple phone  \ iPad  \ Macbook the charging port is on it's own flex cable and designed to be replaced as a serviceable part. Now on some Samsung  \ LG \ HTC phones it's the same deal but on some the micro USB port is soldered directly to the mainboard and replacing it is a bit of a nightmare .... I do a lot of them with a hot air gun but in some cases it's not possible and the customer needs a new £189 motherboard because a £1.24 connector is broke

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:

It's lacking rotary dials so I'm sorry, but I'm out.
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33809
    octatonic said:

It's lacking rotary dials so I'm sorry, but I'm out.
    They are top right.
    Pretty retarded image tbh. No-one has ever asked for any of those things. I get the point... but a headphone jack is such a standard thing and is useful in all sorts of circumstances that to take it off for no real discernable reason other than they can is just very odd.

But there again, this is coming from the people who made the Apple Floptch/Watch.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Headphone jack is essential. And I charge while using earphones in bed.
    My V key is broken
    edited September 2016
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Pretty retarded image tbh. No-one has ever asked for any of those things. I get the point... but a headphone jack is such a standard thing and is useful in all sorts of circumstances that to take it off for no real discernable reason other than they can is just very odd.

But there again, this is coming from the people who made the Apple Floptch/Watch.
    I've seen people ask for about half of them for Apple products since the iPod.
    People moaned when the first iPod didn't have a rotary volume control like a Walkman.
    People moaned when the first iPod didn't have a radio.
    And when the iPhone didn't have a stylus like the Newton.
    And when it didn't have a removable battery.
    The magsafe/magsafe 2 ports were bitched about as well.
    People moaned when Apple took away the floppy drive from their Macs.
    I remember people saying 'The iPad will never take off'.

I've been using Apple products since the mid 90's.
    Not everything they do is genius- iTunes is still a messy app, for example.
    But the major changes they have introduced have usually been consistently, if not universally, the correct path to take.
    I'm a bit so-so about the lack of a headphone port.
    I use my awesome sounding wired in ears with it a hell of a lot- they cost me £600 and I don't fancy replacing them with something that sounds worse and needs charging- but I have to acknowledge that Apple have usually been right a few years down the line.
    I can always use the adapter too, although I don't think I can charge at the same time which is something I do when I'm at the e-drum kit- the iPhone piped into the V Drum brain whilst it is charging. Oh well. It won't be an issue until I upgrade which won't be this year- I'll worry about it later.

So, I'll wait and see, try to take a longer range view with it and if it really doesn't work then I'll jump ship.
    I'm not going to be one of those people who automatically assumes that Apple is personally screwing them over when a new bit of tech comes along.
    That is essentially who that image is poking fun at, I think.

Oh and I have the Apple Watch. It is excellent.
    Real world example:
    I was on the bike before- a text came in from the Mrs.
    I read the text when I was stopped at a traffic light, without the watch I'd have to pull over, put the bike in neutral, take off my gloves, get my iPhone out, read the text, put my iPhone back, put my gloves back on, put the bike in gear.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Alright fanboy calm down
    My V key is broken
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2016
    holnrew said:
    Alright fanboy calm down
    I'm not a fan boy- a fan boy is someone who refuses to acknowledge that their precious product has any faults at all.
    There are many, many things Apple do that irritates.
    I could write 10 pages at least about things that Apple have done over the years that have pissed me off.
    Being thrown off the beta-team for Logic when they bought it from Emagic was a major fucking irritation but purely for selfish reasons.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom