Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Line 6 Spider V

What's Hot

Comments

• Well I think it sounds pretty good there. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72928

Well I think it sounds pretty good there. 
    Yes, it does. It doesn't sound like a valve amp - but it sounds good, which is more important.

I agree with Lee Anderton about calling it a Spider - it's such a quantum leap forward from the old one that seems like a bit of an unnecessary millstone for it. Also bearing in mind that although the Spider IV came out in 2010, it wasn't really *that* much different from the original Spider.

Charging the wireless unit by plugging it into the front of the amp is a stroke of genius - totally intuitive and hassle-free. This is the sort of way people are used to using smart gadgets now, as well as the iPad editing.

No FX loop is slightly disappointing, but not a surprise or a deal-breaker. I know it has built-in FX, but the connection options of one can sometimes be useful as well as if you want to use different FX from the onboard ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    ICBM said:

Well I think it sounds pretty good there. 
    I agree with Lee Anderton about calling it a Spider - it's such a quantum leap forward from the old one that seems like a bit of an unnecessary millstone for it. Also bearing in mind that although the Spider IV came out in 2010, it wasn't really *that* much different from the original Spider.

The Spider IV was a major improvement over all the previous Spiders. I've played them all - the early ones were pretty nasty. Even Chappers said the Class A setting on a Spider IV sounded like a real valve amp at bedroom volumes (he wouldn't have gigged one).

I also like the low number of amps on the IV - 200 amps and effects is just overload IMHO. You'll spend all your time tweaking. If I want to noodle late at night I still grab my old Roland Cube - again a few amps and effects which allow to quickly get a great tone.

The Spider V will sell like well. Note to Lee - don't knock products you've been happy to sell up until recently.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:

I also like the low number of amps on the IV - 200 amps and effects is just overload IMHO. You'll spend all your time tweaking.
    I'm not sure - I think it just gives you more options to choose from initially. You'll quickly work out which you really like. I only really use two models on my Vox, it doesn't bother me that there are many others I don't.

I agree the IV does sound better than the older ones, but it's still really the same general design - modelling amp and average-sounding guitar speaker in an open-back box. This new one is a completely different concept, especially the FRFR speakers and how it interfaces with other stuff.

Still, it's not a particularly offensive name - unless you're badly arachnophobic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I think it looks brilliant as an amp. The only thing that puts me off is I'd prefer they commit further to the hi-fi type aesthetic, or go a bit more "classic guitar amp", though I appreciate for your average teenager who will chuck it in the back of a Citreon Saxo that's probably not important.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4737
    edited September 2016
    Just watching the Guitar Centre demo. Seems to do a lot of stuff. Nice delays, loving the wireless feature ( although another£140 for a G10). I wondered why it was mic'd up - if you can't get a decent direct emulated out from a digital combo that's a worry...

I might be wrong but I though you only needed the transmitter, not the receiver:-

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/QB175021/wireless-accessories/line-6-relay-g10-transmitter?LGWCODE=QB175021;56375;6335&gclid=Cj0KEQjw1K2_BRC0s6jtgJzB-aMBEiQA-WzDMb_P43hzDz2Mk64fbLn6CqmXG5QhC60IhOz-77sFquIaApxZ8P8HAQ

Not many places seem to just sell the transmitter though.

EDIT:-

It's this one and only works with the 60w and above

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/GRELAYG10T/guitar-instrument-wireless/line-6-relay-g10t-wireless-transmitter-compatible-with-spider

ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:

I also like the low number of amps on the IV - 200 amps and effects is just overload IMHO. You'll spend all your time tweaking.
    I'm not sure - I think it just gives you more options to choose from initially. You'll quickly work out which you really like. I only really use two models on my Vox, it doesn't bother me that there are many others I don't.

I agree the IV does sound better than the older ones, but it's still really the same general design - modelling amp and average-sounding guitar speaker in an open-back box. This new one is a completely different concept, especially the FRFR speakers and how it interfaces with other stuff.

Still, it's not a particularly offensive name - unless you're badly arachnophobic.
    I agree the FRFR speaker should make a big difference so long as we don't end up with a hi-fi sounding amp. I'd love to know whether the modelling tech is HD or enhanced POD X3.

And I'm arachnophobic .. :-)

I think the Spider name is dire but Line 6 has a big brand so it makes sense .. Flextone was a great name IMHO. It had a retro/modern feel.

• You will be able to buy the transmitter separately. It will also work with any of the relay packs if you already own one. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• Watched the Andertons Vid, which is my YT channel of choice for gear demos, and I really like it. I'm leaning towards it more than the Code now.
    I'm disappointing that the 30W one doesn't come with the Wireless and looper, the wireless I can probably understand from a price point of view, but the looper would have been great. It annoys me that the looper is left out of lower watt amps all too often, as the only pedal I own is a Wah and having all the FX built into the amp but then having to buy a looper just upsets me!

I want to be able to practice with a looper, I've never played music with another person and being able to play over my own loops whilst sat on the sofa would have been nice!

• Just watching the Guitar Centre demo. Seems to do a lot of stuff. Nice delays, loving the wireless feature ( although another£140 for a G10). I wondered why it was mic'd up - if you can't get a decent direct emulated out from a digital combo that's a worry...

I might be wrong but I though you only needed the transmitter, not the receiver:-

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/QB175021/wireless-accessories/line-6-relay-g10-transmitter?LGWCODE=QB175021;56375;6335&gclid=Cj0KEQjw1K2_BRC0s6jtgJzB-aMBEiQA-WzDMb_P43hzDz2Mk64fbLn6CqmXG5QhC60IhOz-77sFquIaApxZ8P8HAQ

Not many places seem to just sell the transmitter though.

EDIT:-

It's this one and only works with the 60w and above

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/GRELAYG10T/guitar-instrument-wireless/line-6-relay-g10t-wireless-transmitter-compatible-with-spider

You will be able to buy the transmitter separately. It will also work with any of the relay packs if you already own one. 

[Shitting quote system] Ahh not realised. Extra £84 then.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

I'm disappointing that the 30W one doesn't come with the Wireless and looper, the wireless I can probably understand from a price point of view, but the looper would have been great. It annoys me that the looper is left out of lower watt amps all too often, as the only pedal I own is a Wah and having all the FX built into the amp but then having to buy a looper just upsets me!
    You almost always find that the smallest one in the range is very feature-light, in order to keep the entry level price as low as possible. The next one up is usually much better value for money.

The bigger speakers usually make them sound better even at low volume too, even if you don't think you need the extra power.

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    if this is FRFR I wonder how it would work as a helix monitoring system.
  • It sounds way better in the Andertons vid.  
  • I threw some sounds into mine this morning for a dealer demo. Will get some vids up ASAP. 

It sounded great. Typically there were some amp models that I didn't like but it's all subjective. Messing with it this morning made me realise how much a leap up it is from the 4. With all the amp, cab and mic models, there are sounds in there for everyone. We even kept the insane model!

Dynamically it does the tube clean up thing quite well. It's not a Helix but it does a great job. The Bogner XTC model really shocked me how well it does this and how much detail is in the tone. You can hear the difference between singles and HB's clearly and it reacts to playing dynamics too. So far so good. 

By the way, the 15, 30 and 60 will be in stores by next Wednesday. ;-)

• dindudedindude Frets: 8561
    I'm interested in what the modelling tech is, maybe I've missed it, but it must be based in existing POD sounds as there's no mention of "all new models" or the like. Are the models the same as in the Amplifi range for example?
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    The vid posted earlier showed POD HD models but there wasnt a bogner XTC in the POD HD. Interesting.
    hugbot said:
    The vid posted earlier showed POD HD models but there wasnt a bogner XTC in the POD HD. Interesting.
    I think it's based on the POD X3/POD Farm tech - 78 amp models rings a bell.

• I threw some sounds into mine this morning for a dealer demo. Will get some vids up ASAP. 

It sounded great. Typically there were some amp models that I didn't like but it's all subjective. Messing with it this morning made me realise how much a leap up it is from the 4. With all the amp, cab and mic models, there are sounds in there for everyone. We even kept the insane model!

Dynamically it does the tube clean up thing quite well. It's not a Helix but it does a great job. The Bogner XTC model really shocked me how well it does this and how much detail is in the tone. You can hear the difference between singles and HB's clearly and it reacts to playing dynamics too. So far so good. 

They have a 15 watt version?  
    edited September 2016
    I threw some sounds into mine this morning for a dealer demo. Will get some vids up ASAP. 

They have a 15 watt version?  
    No - 30 watts entry level.

Not cheap .. I doubt the average teenage bedroom widdler could afford one. Who are they actually aimed at?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/GSPIDV30UK/combo-amps/line-6-spider-v-30-modeling-guitar-amp

• @bingefeller yes there is. Although it's not technically a V. It will be called Spider 15 Classic. Same as it was before. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom