Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Line 6 Spider V

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    @bingefeller yes there is. Although it's not technically a V. It will be called Spider 15 Classic. Same as it was before. 
    Is it a a Spider IV?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    @bingefeller yes there is. Although it's not technically a V. It will be called Spider 15 Classic. Same as it was before. 
    Is it a a Spider IV?
    It is. With the 15 it was a case of it ain't broke etc. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

Fretwired said:
    Is it a a Spider IV?
    It is. With the 15 it was a case of it ain't broke etc. 
    Fair enough. Good enough for a teenage bedroom widdler .. :-)

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Fretwired said:
    I threw some sounds into mine this morning for a dealer demo. Will get some vids up ASAP. 

It sounded great. Typically there were some amp models that I didn't like but it's all subjective. Messing with it this morning made me realise how much a leap up it is from the 4. With all the amp, cab and mic models, there are sounds in there for everyone. We even kept the insane model!

Dynamically it does the tube clean up thing quite well. It's not a Helix but it does a great job. The Bogner XTC model really shocked me how well it does this and how much detail is in the tone. You can hear the difference between singles and HB's clearly and it reacts to playing dynamics too. So far so good. 

By the way, the 15, 30 and 60 will be in stores by next Wednesday. ;-)
    They have a 15 watt version?  
    No - 30 watts entry level.

Not cheap .. I doubt the average teenage bedroom widdler could afford one. Who are they actually aimed at?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/GSPIDV30UK/combo-amps/line-6-spider-v-30-modeling-guitar-amp

I dunno, the AVT I was super jazzed to buy as a teenager for my first "marshall" was more than that.
    edited September 2016
    hugbot said:
    Fretwired said:
    I threw some sounds into mine this morning for a dealer demo. Will get some vids up ASAP. 

It sounded great. Typically there were some amp models that I didn't like but it's all subjective. Messing with it this morning made me realise how much a leap up it is from the 4. With all the amp, cab and mic models, there are sounds in there for everyone. We even kept the insane model!

Dynamically it does the tube clean up thing quite well. It's not a Helix but it does a great job. The Bogner XTC model really shocked me how well it does this and how much detail is in the tone. You can hear the difference between singles and HB's clearly and it reacts to playing dynamics too. So far so good. 

By the way, the 15, 30 and 60 will be in stores by next Wednesday. ;-)
    They have a 15 watt version?  
    No - 30 watts entry level.

Not cheap .. I doubt the average teenage bedroom widdler could afford one. Who are they actually aimed at?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/GSPIDV30UK/combo-amps/line-6-spider-v-30-modeling-guitar-amp

I dunno, the AVT I was super jazzed to buy as a teenager for my first "marshall" was more than that.
    I'm only going on the price of the older, albeit not as advanced, Spider IV and products from companies like Roland and Blackstar.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    The Blackstar ID30 is £250, so I can't see the Spider V 30 at £170 as anything other than extremely well-priced, especially as it has a more complex speaker system.

It's only very slightly more than the Spider IV.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @bingefeller yes there is. Although it's not technically a V. It will be called Spider 15 Classic. Same as it was before. 
    Nice one.  
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17673
    tFB Trader
    For an inexpensive practice amp it looks great. 

• ICBM said:

I'm disappointing that the 30W one doesn't come with the Wireless and looper, the wireless I can probably understand from a price point of view, but the looper would have been great. It annoys me that the looper is left out of lower watt amps all too often, as the only pedal I own is a Wah and having all the FX built into the amp but then having to buy a looper just upsets me!
    You almost always find that the smallest one in the range is very feature-light, in order to keep the entry level price as low as possible. The next one up is usually much better value for money.

The bigger speakers usually make them sound better even at low volume too, even if you don't think you need the extra power.
    Yeah, problem is the 60W one is £110 more expensive and i'm sure most of that is covered by the addition of the inbuilt wireless receiver and the bigger speaker. As I want it as a practive amp, I fear the 60W will be just that bit too big for me to keep in the living room too!

• By the way, the 15, 30 and 60 will be in stores by next Wednesday. ;-)
    This is what you want when a new product is launched! Not like the Marshall Code series where it was, " Here it is, it's great, it will be in stores.................er dunno when actually...."

Link to my trading feedback
    The pre-announcement with a long/indefinite lead time thing is massively annoying and a guaranteed way to kill any buzz around a product.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    The Blackstar ID30 is £250, so I can't see the Spider V 30 at £170 as anything other than extremely well-priced, especially as it has a more complex speaker system.

It's only very slightly more than the Spider IV.
    Put like that I guess you're right. I ran a jam night club and we bought a Line 6 Spider 75 for around £180 years ago for people to jam on. We had a Spider Jam as well. Good solid units and reliable.

• Interested in one of these, purely as an FRFR Helix monitor...

Taking a quick look at the pics there doesn't seem to be any option to run the Helix from XLR into the poweramp of the Spider.

Or is it a case that you just plug in the 1/4"" Helix out into the normal Input in on the Spider.

Or am I missing something?

welshboyo said:

Taking a quick look at the pics there doesn't seem to be any option to run the Helix from XLR into the poweramp of the Spider.

Or is it a case that you just plug in the 1/4"" Helix out into the normal Input in on the Spider.

Or am I missing something?
    No, I don't think so. That's what I meant about the lack of an FX loop preventing other useful connectivity, as well as using different post-preamp effects. The old Spiders were the same though, so I wasn't surprised.

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    It sounds way better in the Andertons vid.  
    Yeah it does. That said anything does with Paul Hindmarsh playing it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    The official launch video was absolutely cringeworthy.  This amp though does sound half decent!  
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727
    edited October 2016
    I think the Andertons demo sounds okay. I might get one as long as the acoustic sounds are passable, I just need a jack of all trades amp for at home that could cover the occational acoustic gig if needs be. Pity the direct outs are limited to the 120w model, I think that's poor because you could use the smaller amps as monitors if they had direct out. Also frustrating you need a £200 footpedal to operate the looper, or use a button on the front of the amp, which is hard to do when playing. So the amp with wireless transmitter, line out and foot controller would be about £650. Nice features but you pay a lot to use them. I think I'll try the new Boss amps first.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    I haven't looked at Line 6 amps for years - but was just wondering whatever happened to the Spider Bognor Valve?  I'd understood it was supposedly one of the best sounding amps Line 6 ever put out?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    edited October 2016
    Voxman said:

I haven't looked at Line 6 amps for years - but was just wondering whatever happened to the Spider Bognor Valve?  I'd understood it was supposedly one of the best sounding amps Line 6 ever put out?
    It's not bad. Ironically it sounds better at low volume than it does cranked up, which is possibly surprising given that it does have a proper valve power amp - but it goes overly compressed and harsh-sounding at high volume, as you would more expect from a digital/solid-state amp. Whether you would reach that point at normal modern gig levels I'm not sure - it's loud.

Be careful if you're thinking of buying one - @impmann says there's a known serious fault with the first version which is unrepairable (a custom chip can fail, and is out of production) and will leave the amp as basically a valve power amp - but unlike the normal Spiders it does have an FX loop, so you could actually use one for that.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    Spider Valve II is ok - the head is a *lot* better sounding than the combos imho.

Avoid the Mk1 (the one that just says "Spider Valve" rather than having the "II" logo) as there are problems with flash memory chips. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.