Any chance of a new "ignore" feature ...

What's Hot

Comments

• randella said:
    It's not like it's your drunk neighbour who comes round uninvited to tell racist jokes - it's a website and, as such, is very very easily avoided :)

Not sure I see the issue here at all.

Do you live next door to Sambostar? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2809
    Bezzer said:
    Or just be less precious about words on the internet?
    Not precious at all. Been on these forums (and precursors) for a long, long time and seeing it descend to some of the levels it has here in the last few months bothers me because of how it was ... I don't mind discussion, or opposing views ... but I don't like seeing the levels of bile spouted.

That's not targeting you or anyone else ... just I don't know ... I remember gasfest and now it feels that would end up in a punch up sort of
    I'm with you on this - but we're very much in the minority it seems (of the people who use OT and SC).

The way it works (or so I'm told) is that this is the internet and so even if we're part of a cool community with great people we can express ourselves any way you like in these sections because.....this is the internet.

It depresses me because bullying, rudeness and worse just becomes an accepted form of behaviour.

I've noticed certain people feel more comfortable in this environment and others stay away. The sadness is that the community loses out as a whole because a lot of views won't be expressed and threads routinely descend to the lowest common denominator and you usually end up with the same positions (a kind of "I'm right and you're wrong and oh yeah you're a bed wetting c*nt").

OT and SC tend to encourage the Donald Trumps imo. When I'm subjected to that kind of approach/abuse I remind myself of a couple of things JFK said,

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by sceptics and cynics whose horizons are limited by their obvious realities.  We need men who can dream of things that never were."

and (perhaps more poignantly)

"Too often we....enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17668
    tFB Trader
    So to paraphrase you want it to be better, but you aren't prepared to help to make it better. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4238
    edited October 2016
    thebreeze said:

It depresses me because bullying, rudeness and worse just becomes an accepted form of behaviour.

I've noticed certain people feel more comfortable in this environment and others stay away. The sadness is that the community loses out as a whole because a lot of views won't be expressed and threads routinely descend to the lowest common denominator and you usually end up with the same positions (a kind of "I'm right and you're wrong and oh yeah you're a bed wetting c*nt").

I've lurked around here for a year or so.  It was a while before I signed up, I originally wanted someone to tell me the distance in mm between the end of the fretboard and the neck pickup on a Charvel San Dimas but that got forgotten.

Anyway - I've genuinely not seen a lot of what you mention - and where it is happening, you're not gonna change the people doing it, so just avoid.  I really don't think it's routine.  Couple of wind-up merchants but I find them pretty amusing; I understand that's just me and not everyone else might but they are so far in the minority compared with other web outlets I've seen.

YMMV and all that.  Not trying to be contentious, I promise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4238
    edited October 2016
    randella said:
    It's not like it's your drunk neighbour who comes round uninvited to tell racist jokes - it's a website and, as such, is very very easily avoided

Not sure I see the issue here at all.

Do you live next door to Sambostar? 
    @bingefeller ;

Hah, lol - no, this guy's long since moved out.  He had dark hair.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So to paraphrase you want it to be better, but you aren't prepared to help to make it better. 

Why do you say that?  I've used the sections, I've expressed my views on this (like I'm doing now). Let me know what I should be doing please.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17668
    tFB Trader
    It wasn't directed at you, but the point I'm making is that the mods only read about 10% of what is posted here and so content that should go in SC ends up in OT and there is nothing we can do about it without help.

If you flag it then someone will be alerted to take a look at it and given that the material remains available we tend to err on the side of moving to SC (that's not to say we always do as the flagger asks).
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6114
    randella said:

Anyway - I've genuinely not seen a lot of what you mention - and where it is happening, you're not gonna change the people doing it, so just avoid.  I really don't think it's routine.  Couple of wind-up merchants but I find them pretty amusing; I understand that's just me and not everyone else might but they are so far in the minority compared with other web outlets I've seen.
    This sums it up pretty well. There's a lot of stuff here that comes under the heading of Banter, some of it isn't to everyone's taste and some of it is pretty juvenile but compared to other places where the bile and ranting is genuine and scary, it's a safe and sociable place to hang out.
    randella said:
    thebreeze said:

I've lurked around here for a year or so.  It was a while before I signed up, I originally wanted someone to tell me the distance in mm between the end of the fretboard and the neck pickup on a Charvel San Dimas but that got forgotten.

YMMV and all that.  Not trying to be contentious, I promise.
    Very much like you really.

And as you suggest, and as I said, I try to ignore it now.

I do however, feel some of it is bullying - would never be accepted ordinarily but because we're on the internet it's a "get over it, ignore it, nothing you can do to change it" mentality.  I've accepted that but feel compromised/sad about it too.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    thebreeze said:
    Bezzer said:
    Or just be less precious about words on the internet?
    Not precious at all. Been on these forums (and precursors) for a long, long time and seeing it descend to some of the levels it has here in the last few months bothers me because of how it was ... I don't mind discussion, or opposing views ... but I don't like seeing the levels of bile spouted.

That's not targeting you or anyone else ... just I don't know ... I remember gasfest and now it feels that would end up in a punch up sort of
    I'm with you on this - but we're very much in the minority it seems (of the people who use OT and SC).

The way it works (or so I'm told) is that this is the internet and so even if we're part of a cool community with great people we can express ourselves any way you like in these sections because.....this is the internet.

OT and SC tend to encourage the Donald Trumps imo. When I'm subjected to that kind of approach/abuse I remind myself of a couple of things JFK said,

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by sceptics and cynics whose horizons are limited by their obvious realities.  We need men who can dream of things that never were."

and (perhaps more poignantly)

"Too often we....enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought".
    Go somewhere else. Go where your type of people go, and I'll go where my type of people go.

The fact that you're deriding an entire group of unspecified people as 'Donald Trumps' makes you a total arse.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    edited October 2016
    Thinking about it, the only time I ever seem to get in to 'arguments' online is in the gear sections.

I read SC more than OT if I'm honest - much as people get offended when they read fuck or bugger that's actually where a lot of the grown up conversation happens.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Thinking about it, the only time I ever seem to get in to 'arguments' online is in the gear sections.
    That's because you know what you're talking about, and the ne'er do well's feel intimidated by your big brain and big schlong.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    Fuck me Bezz, you have a couple of solid gold hits on your hands here right now :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• It's all fun,somtimes heated.
    work on a building site and you'll hear real madness

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    It wasn't directed at you, but the point I'm making is that the mods only read about 10% of what is posted here and so content that should go in SC ends up in OT and there is nothing we can do about it without help.

If you flag it then someone will be alerted to take a look at it and given that the material remains available we tend to err on the side of moving to SC (that's not to say we always do as the flagger asks).
    It'd take you 10 minutes to skim through a days posts on OT.

If it was mostly sorted out, with clear rules in place, and a thread stuck out as being in the wrong place it'd be easy to flag. But it's not, the two sections are scrambled, people just randomly throw it in a section as they have no idea what should go where.

Or just keep moaning at users and make it our problem.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited October 2016
    Until we hold a how many pints of real ale you can neck as fast as possible in two and a half hours before walking the one and a half miles through the woods with no torch without hitting a tree or falling over and then going to bed without pissing yourself competition, I refuse to take anyone seriously.  All this sophisticated G&T,JD, wine and beer coddling nonsense doesn't count.

The only thing I've decided to change is to have a bit of mutual respect for those considered, usually non reactionary people who enjoy talking about things seriously on the internet.

The only argument I got into on here was on the Referendum thread where I was coolered after finally reacting to blow after blow of condscending righteousness. After that thread half the crew jumped overboard anyway.

Sometimes I wonder if Drew has turned into Richardhomer and Richard's turned into something completely different.

It all changes minute to minute, we all do and censorship is so relative, but if you're getting wound up by something on an internet forum or the fact others refuse to fly your flag it's always time to take a good hard look in the mirror.

@thebreeze I wouldn't worry, I am a bed wetting c**t
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7798
    edited October 2016
    Unless @monquixote corrects me I believe that SC is not google searchable. So if something is not fit to come up in google to represent the site or you want too say something off the record or potentially un PC then that is a candidate for SC
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    My advice is ignore anything you don't like and move on....

Since I adopted this approach, I've avoided spats and enjoyed the place more.

If you think something is really beyond acceptable bounds of taste, flag it - but don't do so with any expectation that those in charge will agree with you - it's their call - not yours.

If you don't like a particular moderating decision, you have two choices; accept it or ask for your account to be deleted.... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Accidentally just spilt a wisdom.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I think it's unfair to expect the mods to read every post and comment, they have full time jobs and the forum takes a lot of their time already. We're a community and we're all responsible for it.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom