Any chance of a new "ignore" feature ...

What's Hot

Comments

• Oh do stop being a tart  =)

Seriously though, just scroll on past threads that look like they're going to end in tantrums and name calling. It's most effective dude ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16686
    I rarely get involved in heated threads (unless it happens to be someone criticising existing guitars and proven luthiers techniques to sell a product.  I have been known to get involved then but try to avoid it)

but I am glad the moderation is not heavy handed, that can kill a community.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2804
    Drew_TNBD said:
    thebreeze said:
    Bezzer said:
    Or just be less precious about words on the internet?
    Not precious at all. Been on these forums (and precursors) for a long, long time and seeing it descend to some of the levels it has here in the last few months bothers me because of how it was ... I don't mind discussion, or opposing views ... but I don't like seeing the levels of bile spouted.

That's not targeting you or anyone else ... just I don't know ... I remember gasfest and now it feels that would end up in a punch up sort of
    I'm with you on this - but we're very much in the minority it seems (of the people who use OT and SC).

The way it works (or so I'm told) is that this is the internet and so even if we're part of a cool community with great people we can express ourselves any way you like in these sections because.....this is the internet.

It depresses me because bullying, rudeness and worse just becomes an accepted form of behaviour.

I've noticed certain people feel more comfortable in this environment and others stay away. The sadness is that the community loses out as a whole because a lot of views won't be expressed and threads routinely descend to the lowest common denominator and you usually end up with the same positions (a kind of "I'm right and you're wrong and oh yeah you're a bed wetting c*nt").

OT and SC tend to encourage the Donald Trumps imo. When I'm subjected to that kind of approach/abuse I remind myself of a couple of things JFK said,

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by sceptics and cynics whose horizons are limited by their obvious realities.  We need men who can dream of things that never were."

and (perhaps more poignantly)

"Too often we....enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought".
    Go somewhere else. Go where your type of people go, and I'll go where my type of people go.

The fact that you're deriding an entire group of unspecified people as 'Donald Trumps' makes you a total arse.
    I'm against "you're this kind of person" etc. It's devisive, unnecessary and causes most of the problems in the world.

TBH Drew I'm interested in some of the things you say and occasionally persuaded.  It's the needless digs, disparagements and sometimes abuse I disagree with. Your second paragraph here is a good example......as well as being an almighty projection, as you're a master at "deriding an entire group of unspecified people" (as well as posting groundless generalisations).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom

It's all fun,somtimes heated.
    work on a building site and you'll hear real madness

I've worked on a building site, for some reason manned mainly by white South African builders, and I've worked on supply boats in Louisiana for the oil fields in the Gulf of Mexico.  I agree with you.  The kind of a racism I encountered on both will stay with me for the rest of my life.  On both occasions I spoke up and on both occasions I was ostracised and no one talked to me afterwards.  I don't regret it though.

When I think about a change of vibe on the forum I wonder how much the whole Brexit thing took it's toll?.....that f*cking referendum has a lot to answer for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • randella said:
    It's not like it's your drunk neighbour who comes round uninvited to tell racist jokes - it's a website and, as such, is very very easily avoided :)

Not sure I see the issue here at all.

Do you live next door to Sambostar? 
    I'm pretty sure I live in rampaging distance from @sambostar. I lock the doors at night obviously.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Unless @monquixote corrects me I believe that SC is not google searchable. So if something is not fit to come up in google to represent the site or you want too say something off the record or potentially un PC then that is a candidate for SC
    Yep, only logged in members can read it. That's why people have serious personal conversations in there, it isn't all flame wars and trolling
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    holnrew said:
    I think it's unfair to expect the mods to read every post and comment, they have full time jobs and the forum takes a lot of their time already. We're a community and we're all responsible for it.
    A chain is only as strong as its weakest link... and then you look at Sambostar....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thebreeze said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    thebreeze said:
    Bezzer said:
    Or just be less precious about words on the internet?
    Not precious at all. Been on these forums (and precursors) for a long, long time and seeing it descend to some of the levels it has here in the last few months bothers me because of how it was ... I don't mind discussion, or opposing views ... but I don't like seeing the levels of bile spouted.

That's not targeting you or anyone else ... just I don't know ... I remember gasfest and now it feels that would end up in a punch up sort of
    I'm with you on this - but we're very much in the minority it seems (of the people who use OT and SC).

The way it works (or so I'm told) is that this is the internet and so even if we're part of a cool community with great people we can express ourselves any way you like in these sections because.....this is the internet.

It depresses me because bullying, rudeness and worse just becomes an accepted form of behaviour.

I've noticed certain people feel more comfortable in this environment and others stay away. The sadness is that the community loses out as a whole because a lot of views won't be expressed and threads routinely descend to the lowest common denominator and you usually end up with the same positions (a kind of "I'm right and you're wrong and oh yeah you're a bed wetting c*nt").

OT and SC tend to encourage the Donald Trumps imo. When I'm subjected to that kind of approach/abuse I remind myself of a couple of things JFK said,

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by sceptics and cynics whose horizons are limited by their obvious realities.  We need men who can dream of things that never were."

and (perhaps more poignantly)

"Too often we....enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought".
    Go somewhere else. Go where your type of people go, and I'll go where my type of people go.

The fact that you're deriding an entire group of unspecified people as 'Donald Trumps' makes you a total arse.
    I'm against "you're this kind of person" etc. It's devisive, unnecessary and causes most of the problems in the world.

TBH Drew I'm interested in some of the things you say and occasionally persuaded.  It's the needless digs, disparagements and sometimes abuse I disagree with. Your second paragraph here is a good example......as well as being an almighty projection, as you're a master at "deriding an entire group of unspecified people" (as well as posting groundless generalisations).

SNORE...

Yet another armchair psychologist. You enjoy that high-horse matey, enjoy it. Because pretty soon you'll be dead, and worms will come out of your eyes, the soil will strip the meat from your bones, and it will be as if you had never been.

Have fun on the internets!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    thebreeze said:

When I think about a change of vibe on the forum I wonder how much the whole Brexit thing took it's toll?.....that f*cking referendum has a lot to answer for.
    I think you're right. The forum has soured a bit since Brexit, and I for one feel like I don't really have that much in common with most people here. In fact the person I have the most in common with got banned for posting a picture of a gorrilla and the person I most respected no longer posts here because he can't be doing with the shower of cunts... make of that what you will!

I'm glad that Lixarto guy is no longer around though. His high-kicks were crap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4174
    Drew_TNBD said:
    thebreeze said:

I think you're right. The forum has soured a bit since Brexit
    Not buying it.

I dipped in the morning of the result, realised I had enough people in real life to bicker with on the subject, and binned the place for a couple of weeks (y'all cried yourselves to sleep, right?). When I came back a fortnight later it was like nothing had happened. Then Sambostar got unbanned and it really was like nothing had ever happened :)
    randella said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    thebreeze said:

I think you're right. The forum has soured a bit since Brexit
    Not buying it.

I dipped in the morning of the result, realised I had enough people in real life to bicker with on the subject, and binned the place for a couple of weeks (y'all cried yourselves to sleep, right?). When I came back a fortnight later it was like nothing had happened. Then Sambostar got unbanned and it really was like nothing had ever happened :)
    What? You're not seeing the Marvel VS Capcom split across the forum? It's me, Deijavoo, Fretwired, and Chalky, versus Fretmeister, UnclePsychosis, and MyraHindley12.

We have team costumes - blue Trumps versus red Trumps.

We have fatalities too. Fretmeister steals your children and buries them on the moor - Myra bakes a cake out of his own discharge and eats it. Not sure what his intention with that is, but it seems to drive the other team to ritual suicide.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I love it when old people can't deal with young people being "rude" to each other for fun.

99% of the "nastiness" is just lols.
    I love it when old people can't deal with young people being "rude" to each other for fun.

Absolutely. I perish the thought of any of these guys spending a week on 4chan, 8chan, or /pol/ - hell... even some of the meme boards on Facebook are racy as hell! Corrr!!
  • randella said:
    It's not like it's your drunk neighbour who comes round uninvited to tell racist jokes - it's a website and, as such, is very very easily avoided :)

Not sure I see the issue here at all.

Do you live next door to Sambostar? 
    I'm pretty sure I live in rampaging distance from @sambostar. I lock the doors at night obviously.
    Just wow'd you for that because I will now worry about you.  
  • I'm pretty sure Bezzer is a troll.  He starts two controversial threads in a row then act's all innocent "It depresses me because bullying, rudeness and worse just becomes an accepted form of behaviour."  and "Been on these forums (and precursors) for a long, long time and seeing it descend to some of the levels it has here in the last few months bothers me because of how it was ... I don't mind discussion, or opposing views ... but I don't like seeing the levels of bile spouted."  Strange comment to make for someone with a sparse post history and who only seems to make a few posts every couple of months.  

Plus, if you have been on forums for a "long, long time" how would bullying (which never happens here that I'm aware of), rudeness and worse (like what?) depress you.  Surely you should be experienced enough to not let what happens on a forum make you depressed.  If it does than I have no idea how you cope in the real world.  I'm guessing you just checked in here trying to justify your original post, so you don't seem like a troll (which you are).

I'm calling you out as a bullshitter troll, Bezzer.     
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_TNBD said:

SNORE...

Yet another armchair psychologist. You enjoy that high-horse matey, enjoy it. Because pretty soon you'll be dead, and worms will come out of your eyes, the soil will strip the meat from your bones, and it will be as if you had never been.

I'm guessing this is as close to a warm hug that I'm going to get from you Drew, so thank you.  :)

Not so much "armchair"....

Careful what you all wish for is all I can say.  The internet will have all kinds of unforeseen implications for humanity, I'm pretty sure.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thebreeze said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

SNORE...

I'm guessing this is as close to a warm hug that I'm going to get from you Drew, so thank you.  :)

Not so much "armchair"....
    Okay then, "highchair" - better? ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    I've never really seen anything to worry about here, it's just a microcosm of real life, where the ones shouting loudest about others' inability to take pointless smart-arse abuse are actually the most fragile little boys who bear the longest grudges.

Frankly, who cares as long as we help each other with gear issues?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    I've never really seen anything to worry about here, it's just a microcosm of real life, where the ones shouting loudest about others' inability to take pointless smart-arse abuse are actually the most fragile little boys who bear the longest grudges.
    Pretty much. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom