Spiritual but not religious?

What's Hot

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Megii said:

Question - basically what's it all about please - life, the universe.. ?
    Answer - Having a wank. 
    There has to be more, surely? :D 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    Megii said:
    Megii said:

Answer - Having a wank. 

See 'edging'.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9741

You can thank me later
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Megii said:
    Megii said:

Answer - Having a wank. 

No. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Nah, everything is broken down to chemicals, molecules, atoms, sub atomic particles and quarks. It's all a big nothing
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @octatonic (and anyone else that's interested) you mentioned Sam Harris, I mentioned Max Tegmark, and then I found this:

holnrew said:
    Nah, everything is broken down to chemicals, molecules, atoms, sub atomic particles and quarks. It's all a big nothing
    And yet surely, there is some kind of something - we don't know what it is really, but the fact that we are talking about this surely means that's true...
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2418
    I'd consider myself to be either a torn atheist or an open-minded spiritualist. I don't believe there is a god per se; however, I find it hard to believe that this complex universe happened by accident. Even if there were no life on earth, no planets, no nothing, the fact that there is a vast amount of space for everything to fit in anyway is striking - everything requires space to exist and it just so happens we have it.

Another view on wondrous design is the spider. How a little creature can spin beautiful webs that happen to withstand rough weather and catch the food that it lives on is hard to take as coincidence. To me that is design in spades.

I do appreciate the Taoist approach (more of a way of being that an belief system), which is simply "The Way", that is going along with life, appreciating how things are and not trying to fight it. To me, it's more productive than trying to figure out why we are here. Although it does provide good discussion, evidently.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8763
    Descartes said "If God didn't exist then man would have to create him", by which I understand him to mean "many people have an underlying need for a god concept in their lives". 

Looking at it a slightly different way, we are comfortable when something resonates with our underlying values and beliefs ....

.Megii said:
     it seems that our brains create a kind of  image of reality, but we don't know what reality really is ... and that ends up with my brain somehow forming an image with that colour. So it's "in my head" 
    .... or thoughts.

To my mind spirituality is being aware of these resonances. Whether you interpret them as supernatural beings, or "just the way the brain works", or something in between, is up to you. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8763
    beed84 said:
    I'd consider myself to be either a torn atheist or an open-minded spiritualist. I don't believe there is a god per se; however, I find it hard to believe that this complex universe happened by accident.
    Isn't that the Goldilocks Syndrome? We don't know any other universe, so it's difficult to conceptualise one, but that doesn't mean that our is a priori unique
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    And no-one said it was an accident either.
  • Roland said:
    Descartes said "If God didn't exist then man would have to create him", by which I understand him to mean "many people have an underlying need for a god concept in their lives". 

Looking at it a slightly different way, we are comfortable when something resonates with our underlying values and beliefs ....

.Megii said:
     it seems that our brains create a kind of  image of reality, but we don't know what reality really is ... and that ends up with my brain somehow forming an image with that colour. So it's "in my head" 
    .... or thoughts.

To my mind spirituality is being aware of these resonances. Whether you interpret them as supernatural beings, or "just the way the brain works", or something in between, is up to you. 
    @Roland that's an interesting quote from Descartes.

I think it's pretty accurate that my belief system requires a God or some other similar entity. It's my way of attempting to quantify things that I've observed but don't have any solid evidence to explain it with. 

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

I don't need a god. At one point in my life I did need Anton LaVey's Satanic Bible though.
    beed84 said:
    I'd consider myself to be either a torn atheist or an open-minded spiritualist. I don't believe there is a god per se; however, I find it hard to believe that this complex universe happened by accident. Even if there were no life on earth, no planets, no nothing, the fact that there is a vast amount of space for everything to fit in anyway is striking - everything requires space to exist and it just so happens we have it.

Another view on wondrous design is the spider. How a little creature can spin beautiful webs that happen to withstand rough weather and catch the food that it lives on is hard to take as coincidence. To me that is design in spades.

I do appreciate the Taoist approach (more of a way of being that an belief system), which is simply "The Way", that is going along with life, appreciating how things are and not trying to fight it. To me, it's more productive than trying to figure out why we are here. Although it does provide good discussion, evidently.
    I used to be quite interested in Taoism, and still have a few books on the subject. I have to agree it daft to try to think about a reason why we are here, at least in terms of our existence having any kind of "purpose" that we are meant to fulfill. Maybe a better way of putting it is to ask just how it is that we are here.

"Design" in terms of things such as the spider/web example, I can't really go along with. I find the theory of evolution is the best explanation for that, albeit we don't understand the process perfectly, but still... But I may not be understanding what you mean by design properly I realise.

Space - what is it? What is time, what is matter, what is energy? All things that physicists have got better at describing with mathematics over the years, but beyond that, what actually are these things? Maybe that's even a meaningless question, and at the root of it all, there is just maths, and nothing else (see Max Tegmark). :)
    Animals with the intelligence we have were inevitable, but we're kind of an aberration of nature because we think we're separate from and better than it. But what we're made of has existed before, as plants and animals and chances are every one of us has breathed the same molecule of oxygen. Thoughts, feelings... They're just biological programming and have no real meaning except to ourselves. Enjoy life by all means, make everything of it you can because it's all we have. But at the end of the day we're part of a bigger picture. There's no plan as such but there's a system, a natural order and I find it beautiful and inspiring.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    holnrew said:
    Animals with the intelligence we have were inevitable, but we're kind of an aberration of nature because we think we're separate from and better than it. But what we're made of has existed before, as plants and animals and chances are every one of us has breathed the same molecule of oxygen. Thoughts, feelings... They're just biological programming and have no real meaning except to ourselves. Enjoy life by all means, make everything of it you can because it's all we have. But at the end of the day we're part of a bigger picture. There's no plan as such but there's a system, a natural order and I find it beautiful and inspiring.
    I tend to agree with all of this, except for the "Thoughts, feelings... They're just biological programming..." bit - I think it's easy to say things like that, but it doesn't really explain their very real existence to us ourselves. I find Dan Dennett's "conciousness is an illusion" stuff unsatisfactory in a similar way.
    holnrew said:
    What a load of old wobbly bollocks.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's fair. I just think that intelligence, thoughts and feelings are more advanced than they should be for the natural order of things. That's why we're destroying the planet, have mental illness and other such things. We'll destroy ourselves (and a lot of other things sadly), because it's against the order of things. Star Trek is just a dream. Human nature isn't natural.

All this is IMO of course. I don't mean to state anything as fact. Thanks for making me think though, it's interesting figuring this stuff out.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    edited October 2016
    The simplest thing I could say without filling pages is to watch Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth. I'm halfway through and he has things pretty much figured out for the most part. He is spiritual (like Jung) but connects the dots of philosophy and religion rather adeptly from the position of rationality.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    holnrew said:
    That's fair. I just think that intelligence, thoughts and feelings are more advanced than they should be for the natural order of things. That's why we're destroying the planet, have mental illness and other such things. We'll destroy ourselves (and a lot of other things sadly), because it's against the order of things. Star Trek is just a dream. Human nature isn't natural.

All this is IMO of course. I don't mean to state anything as fact. Thanks for making me think though, it's interesting figuring this stuff out.
    One of the biggest things that Darwin did was to demonstrate that there is NO natural order or balance of nature or natural harmony. Nature is "red in tooth and claw". Evolutionary theory has randomness as its essence. Saying Mankind upsets the balance of nature is anti-Darwinian, and is simply replacing the religious God with the spiritual 'Nature'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom