Spiritual but not religious?

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28735
    Is he the one who did Jackanory? Or is that Bernard Cribbens?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24657
    I believe he had a keen interest in earthen ware hot drink dispensers that showed space flight capability.
    Wasn't that Christopher someone?

Biggins maybe?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Science is the only thing that has saved millions of lives. Religion hasn't done that, and spirituality hasn't done that.

GO SCIENCE WOOO HOOOO!!!
    @Drew_TNBD ;

I totally understand where you're coming from but just to clarify my  way of thinking.....

I'm not particularly religious but I do believe in 'God', although it's more of a concept that there's a higher power or similar forces at work in our huge universe that, as yet, isn't quantifiable or proven with backed  up research.

That *doesn't* mean I dismiss science and all the good it does. I've no plans to go all David 'Avocado' Wolfe lol  =)

We can politely agree  to disagree on other stuff though ;)
    It just means you're a hippy mate. Don't worry, I wont throw any beef your way. I'm generally over the whole religious discussion flamewar thing - bigger gives to shit!!

Plus your girlfriend would probably cut me up into tiny pieces. mwahaha.
     =) 

I do have hippie tendencies but MrsTheBlueWolf is the tree hugger lol She damn near cut ME the other week though  :o

Actually this is a pretty chilled thread given the subject nature. I'd have skipped past most of it normally.

Oh I'm a carnivore dude, fancy a Hog Roast?

;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I was out this afternoon, and came back to find about 30 notifications re this thread. Am I a die-hard science nut? - I certainly do have great respect for much that the scientific approach has achieved, and an ongoing interest in new scientific discoveries, particularly at the cutting edge of physics. One point I would make is that, as I understand it, when something is accorded the status of a scientific theory, then there will already be a lot of supporting evidence gathered. A more untested viewpoint is called a hypothesis - think I'm right saying that. So when US creationists were wanting to put stickers on biology textbooks saying "evolution is only a theory" they were misunderstanding the meaning/use of the word.

But I do also think @Chalky has valid things to say, and if I read him right, I don't think he's trying to state a position of complete disrespect for science - just the idea that science will be ultimately able to describe and account for absolutely everything in the universe. And I do think it's fair to have a debate on that one really.

I hope this isn't me lamely attempting to pour oil on troubled waters, but positions can get a bit entrenched and polarised with these kind of discussions. As my initial post made clear, my own thinking on spirituality and what it may/may not mean to me is some way from being resolved. :)
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

Oh I'm a carnivore dude, fancy a Hog Roast?

;)
    Absolutely!
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited October 2016
    A ruse requires something far more clever than an outright and easily destroyed falsehood. Such a "ruse" inevitably causes concern as to the mental abilities / educational standard of the person presenting it.

In fact I think your excuse is the real ruse. Please rest assured it is entirely permitted and indeed admirable to admit you were wrong. If you wish to take that path, I will do you the honour of never reminding you of your earlier position.

If, in the alternative, you prefer to admit you have no talent at creating a ruse then I am unable to assist in the same way. You mal-ruser.

My ruse was to bait the science diehards as I explained. Nothing more complex than that. Search back and you will see we have had similar exchanges in previous threads, as Drew pointed out. I knew you would provide the necessary responses to give examples to @Megii as to why he should make his own choice in what to believe.  If you had reacted in an unemotional and calm, objective manner, as a scientist, I would have failed, but you stayed true to form and bit. Thank you.
  • I shall say a small prayer for all of you, and despite all the quasi intellectual dribbling going on here, there's not a damned thing any of you can do about it. 

Don't thank me...no seriously, don't. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24657
    As long as you are praying to Thor, that's ok.

He's the only trustworthy one of the lot.
    Chalky said:

My ruse was to bait the science diehards as I explained. Nothing more complex than that. Search back and you will see we have had similar exchanges in previous threads, as Drew pointed out. I knew you would provide the necessary responses to give examples to @Megii as to why he should make his own choice in what to believe.  If you had reacted in an unemotional and calm, objective manner, as a scientist, I would have failed, but you stayed true to form and bit. Thank you.
    So you were trolling, you followed up with a series of logical fallacies, and you think you won?

I already won. See http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1265498/#Comment_1265498

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • @fretmeister Odin is Thor's daddy ;)

HAIL ODIN!!!

;)

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Sporky said:
    Don't you remember my story about the chocolate teapot?
    My V key is broken
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I shall say a small prayer for all of you, and despite all the quasi intellectual dribbling going on here, there's not a damned thing any of you can do about it. 

Do whatever you want. Doesnae bother moi!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    I shall say a small prayer for all of you, and despite all the quasi intellectual dribbling going on here, there's not a damned thing any of you can do about it. 

Thank you.
    I shall do some thinking on your behalf then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    holnrew said:
    Sporky said:
    Don't you remember my story about the chocolate teapot?
    Oh. I remember now. I also remember why I put so much effort into forgetting.

Pure filth.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    edited October 2016
    @Megii
    I'm not religious; I'm not New Age.  I do, however, recognise that feeling you describe of being connected to something beyond the mundane.  Personally, I suspect it's a brain-thing and I quite like the ideas which suggest that one's sense of self and its demarcation from non-self may become blurred in certain circumstances.  E.g oxygen starvation (the classical near-death experience scenario); or in a different way through types of contemplation/ meditation/ self-hypnosis; or through the use of psychedelics. 

I have not used psychedelics in decades but yes, those non-duel experiences where you're "at one" were very nice, very interesting. 

I have a little project to see if I can experience non-duality again.  I don't think it's anything super-profound (despite feeling it at the time).  I suspect some people are wired to be naturals at it and the rest of us have to practise.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    edited October 2016
    @ourmaninthenorth ;

Cheers babez I love you hun XOXO

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Sporky said:
    Chalky said:

So you were trolling, you followed up with a series of logical fallacies, and you think you won?

I already won. See http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1265498/#Comment_1265498

Actually I didn't know this was a competition. Have you ever been in a pub with your mates, bantering about some topic, then purposely mentioned something that you know will set one of them off? Then that guy realises he's gone off on one about that same old shit he always does, and everybody laughs?  Do you call that trolling?
    Chalky said:

Actually I didn't know this was a competition.
    You do now! :)