Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Getting rid of a Chibson

What's Hot
I have a 335-alike I bought from China on a whim. I spent few quid upgrading the hardware and pickups with a Seymour Duncan and a Bulldog PAF. It's quite a nice guitar but I don't have room for it anymore and I can't stick it in the classifieds here or moderators will go into meltdown. I can't put it on eBay and frankly don't want to - too much aggro. So what do I do with it? Take the decent parts off it and throw it away?

It owes me £300 all in so it's not a massive deal. If I had a kid who played guitar I'd give it to them, but my kids aren't interested. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    Paint over the Gibson decal on the headstock?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/tyaye5p9tYA/maxresdefault.jpg

:)

Difficult one… it seems a shame to destroy a perfectly good guitar, but it isn't quite OK to sell it. Probably the best thing to do is to sand off the logo - then it's just a copy, not a counterfeit. Painting over it may be enough, but that leaves open the possibility that someone could clean the paint off.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26772
    edited November 2016
    This reads suspiciously like a way to get around the rules of not selling counterfeits on here ;)

It's not that we'll go into a meltdown, but rather the fact that if we allow a sale of such things on here then we are also liable for prosecution. We like to be helpful to our members, but we kinda draw the line where we could risk fines and jail time...

The moral of this story is: don't buy counterfeit guitars in a country where it's illegal to sell them on.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the morals lesson. I wasn't trying to sell it on here. I was just asking for suggestions. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12682
    Surely, if there is no logo on it then it falls into the same category as all the other copy guitars - such as Tokais, Burnys or cheap end stuff like Columbus.

Therefore, belt-sand or paint over the logo(s) and advertise it as an "Electric Guitar" or call it a 335 copy - its perfectly acceptable to sell a guitar as such on eBay (and should be on here too... put down those pitchforks boys).

Its only "counterfeit" if you are deliberately trying to pass it off as something it isn't. And if it has no logos on it at all, then its just another guitar...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:

Its only "counterfeit" if you are deliberately trying to pass it off as something it isn't. And if it has no logos on it at all, then its just another guitar...
    That's not actually true. Even if you say that a guitar (or any item, really) is a fake, it's still illegal to sell it if it has a logo on it (because the next guy might not be so scrupulous).

If, however, the logo is removed, then it can happily be sold on here.

Simply covering the logo (or keeping it out of shot) wouldn't be enough now, though, because this thread has made us aware of the fact that it's a fake.

Thanks for the morals lesson. I wasn't trying to sell it on here. I was just asking for suggestions. 

Not a morals lesson - I honestly couldn't care less if there are fakes out there, and I don't like Gibson anyway. However, we do have to stick to the law...we don't want to end up in a fight with the big manufacturers like Basschat did.

Don't blame us...we didn't make the rules, we just play by them :)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Claiming it's not a morals lesson when you wrote 'the moral of the story is,' is a bit rich, frankly. I fully appreciate the legal position the forum is in, which is why I haven't tried to sell it on here - either with or without the logo. I was simply asking other forum users what their thoughts were on getting rid of it. I'm not blaming you for the rules, just your over-zealous moderating.
    3reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26772
    edited November 2016
    Claiming it's not a morals lesson when you wrote 'the moral of the story is,' is a bit rich, frankly. I fully appreciate the legal position the forum is in, which is why I haven't tried to sell it on here - either with or without the logo. I was simply asking other forum users what their thoughts were on getting rid of it. I'm not blaming you for the rules, just your over-zealous moderating.
    Now you're being a dick. It was a throwaway comment, grow up. Also, there's a significant semantic difference between "the moral of the story" and "morals".

In any case, you'll find that our moderation is the exact opposite of "over-zealous". We simply don't want to pay the price (either personally or by the site being shutdown) for our members' lack of foresight or knowledge of the law.

strongly suggest you drop the attitude.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
  • im having a bonfire this weekend so if you want to send it on i am happy to help of the disposal :-) oh and play it for a bit first
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    If you list it as a replica on eBay and you tape over or not include a headstock photo , afaik eBay are fine with it. I had no issue selling a Chibanez neck there as I made it plain in the title and description that it was a Chinese copy and not a real one 
  • Claiming it's not a morals lesson when you wrote 'the moral of the story is,' is a bit rich, frankly. I fully appreciate the legal position the forum is in, which is why I haven't tried to sell it on here - either with or without the logo. I was simply asking other forum users what their thoughts were on getting rid of it. I'm not blaming you for the rules, just your over-zealous moderating.
    Now you're being a dick. It was a throwaway comment, grow up. Also, there's a significant semantic difference between "the moral of the story" and "morals".

In any case, you'll find that our moderation is the exact opposite of "over-zealous". We simply don't want to pay the price (either personally or by the site being shutdown) for our members' lack of foresight or knowledge of the law.

I'm being a dick because I challenged what you said? That's an interesting attitude, and I assume 'strongly' in italics is some kind of threat. I've never had a cross word with anyone on this forum, so I don't think I have an attitude problem. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24657
    Claiming it's not a morals lesson when you wrote 'the moral of the story is,' is a bit rich, frankly. I fully appreciate the legal position the forum is in, which is why I haven't tried to sell it on here - either with or without the logo. I was simply asking other forum users what their thoughts were on getting rid of it. I'm not blaming you for the rules, just your over-zealous moderating.

I'm being a dick because I challenged what you said? That's an interesting attitude, and I assume 'strongly' in italics is some kind of threat. I've never had a cross word with anyone on this forum, so I don't think I have an attitude problem. 
    Motion challenged.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Thanks for the morals lesson. I wasn't trying to sell it on here. I was just asking for suggestions. 
    If it was me I would have the logo removed and list it as a Chinese made semi acoustic. You may need to sand the top of the headstock as the 'open book' is a trademark of Gibson that has been successfully tested in various courts in the Western hemisphere.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30951

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    There is a Chibson Facebook group that has a strong trading tradition - may be worth a visit there.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    JookyChap said:
    There is a Chibson Facebook group that has a strong trading tradition - may be worth a visit there.
    Ah, the calm voice of reason :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I really don't want another one though. I think I'll put the orinal pickups back in it and find someone to give it to.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31670
    You could snap the headstock off so that nobody mistakes it for a Gibson.

Oh wait...
    24reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24657
    Donate it to a school music dept.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28735
    Claiming it's not a morals lesson when you wrote 'the moral of the story is,' is a bit rich, frankly.
    You seem to be confusing morality with a moral. They share an etymological root but have quite different meanings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morality

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom