Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Getting rid of a Chibson

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12434
    sweepy said:
    If you list it as a replica on eBay and you tape over or not include a headstock photo , afaik eBay are fine with it. I had no issue selling a Chibanez neck there as I made it plain in the title and description that it was a Chinese copy and not a real one 
    The problem is you might be honest and sell it as a fake but the buyer might not be. He could easily sell it on as the real thing to somebody who doesn't know the difference. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Claiming it's not a morals lesson when you wrote 'the moral of the story is,' is a bit rich, frankly. I fully appreciate the legal position the forum is in, which is why I haven't tried to sell it on here - either with or without the logo. I was simply asking other forum users what their thoughts were on getting rid of it. I'm not blaming you for the rules, just your over-zealous moderating.
    Now you're being a dick. It was a throwaway comment, grow up. Also, there's a significant semantic difference between "the moral of the story" and "morals".

In any case, you'll find that our moderation is the exact opposite of "over-zealous". We simply don't want to pay the price (either personally or by the site being shutdown) for our members' lack of foresight or knowledge of the law.

strongly suggest you drop the attitude.
    Anyone else not comfortable with the mods' tone here?

:o 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8025
    Yup. Seems aggressive and out of proportion. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Claiming it's not a morals lesson when you wrote 'the moral of the story is,' is a bit rich, frankly. I fully appreciate the legal position the forum is in, which is why I haven't tried to sell it on here - either with or without the logo. I was simply asking other forum users what their thoughts were on getting rid of it. I'm not blaming you for the rules, just your over-zealous moderating.
    Now you're being a dick. It was a throwaway comment, grow up. Also, there's a significant semantic difference between "the moral of the story" and "morals".

In any case, you'll find that our moderation is the exact opposite of "over-zealous". We simply don't want to pay the price (either personally or by the site being shutdown) for our members' lack of foresight or knowledge of the law.

The mods work very, very hard to keep this resource alive, well and relatively un-policed. To lose it because it could be viewed as soliciting illegal trade would not only be against their best interests but our own. 

I think being very clear on a black and white matter is a good idea. It would be illegal to sell a fake - the suggestion of sanding the headstock and refinishing has been proposed and it would allow the item to be sold legally, on here or elsewhere.

As has been alluded to, other online forums have been in big trouble because of this sort of trade. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    edited November 2016 tFB Trader
    Nunogilberto said:
    Claiming it's not a morals lesson when you wrote 'the moral of the story is,' is a bit rich, frankly. I fully appreciate the legal position the forum is in, which is why I haven't tried to sell it on here - either with or without the logo. I was simply asking other forum users what their thoughts were on getting rid of it. I'm not blaming you for the rules, just your over-zealous moderating.

o 
    Unfortuantely, I have to agree. However, we all have bad days and perhaps days when ones fuse might be shorter than others. I've put it down to that.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

The mods work very, very hard to keep this resource alive, well and relatively un-policed. To lose it because it could be viewed as soliciting illegal trade would not only be against their best interests but our own. 

I think being very clear on a black and white matter is a good idea. It would be illegal to sell a fake - the suggestion of sanding the headstock and refinishing has been proposed and it would allow the item to be sold legally, on here or elsewhere.

As has been alluded to, other online forums have been in big trouble because of this sort of trade. 
    I agree with what you're saying in principle, and moderating this place can't be an easy task, but there's a distinct difference between being clear on a black and white issue, and spoiling for a fight from the off...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • bob21bob21 Frets: 170
    I suspect @digitalscream may have been firmer than some of you (though not me) were expecting because the legal issues we have had previously on TFB have caused him considerable personal headaches.. IIRC the site is actually also on server space belonging to him (and his commercial customers) which would give him massive problems personally if this site caused issues..

Personally, I don't see an issue with what was said. I also wondered if this was an under-the-radar way of selling it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16793
    I saw it as giving some very clear guidance on what is allowed here.

isnt it obvious that if the selling of fakes is not allowed here, then discussions on where you can buy/sell fakes may also be treated similarly?

funny how how the last criticism of the mods was because they are apparently not strict enough!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • I am often short-tempered; when I'm tired, provoked or when feeling frustrated with how life is for me. How this presents itself is usually giving a driver 'the finger', being a twat on here or some other means of expression.

A couple of years ago, I was of the opinion that none of the mods really wanted to moderate the forum at all - it seemed as though you could say anything without consequence.

As it's got bigger, I think that's changed - and a legal infringement, given the budgets some companies have - is potentially serious. If anyone's in doubt about this, Gibson tried to use their fire-power to stop PRS making the Singlecut - a guitar obviously influenced by the Les Paul - but self-evidently not a copy. PRS had the money to fight back - and ultimately won.

The forum couldn't risk something like this financially - so yes - the response might seem terse/threatening but understandable given the risk presented. I've no idea about the mods' financial circumstances - but unless you were a multi-millionaire - you'd be bonkers to take on Gibson....

I don't doubt the OP's enquiry was genuine - but there's probably a point where backing off makes sense. And I mean that with no criticism levelled at the OP - just a potential legal minefield....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27697
    Really?

Lee's well known for his over-zealous, short-fuse, aggressive moderation of this forum.  It's how we do things here.

Jooky has answered the original question.  Move on.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • These 'wonderful' guitars always seem to be getting sold on....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    ...Gumtree?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a 335-alike I bought from China on a whim. I spent few quid upgrading the hardware and pickups with a Seymour Duncan and a Bulldog PAF. It's quite a nice guitar but I don't have room for it anymore and I can't stick it in the classifieds here or moderators will go into meltdown.
    A fairly inflammatory opening post IMO. Could've just said I can't post it here as the rules don't allow it, without the accusatory meltdown insinuation. That would probably have avoided the rest of what followed. We all know that fakes aren't allowed in the classifieds, and why.

TBH, posting a "how do I off-load a fake guitar?" post in Off-Topic was never going to go well really was it?
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited November 2016
     I can't stick it in the classifieds here or moderators will go into meltdown. I can't put it on eBay and frankly don't want to - too much aggro. 
    Unfortunate phrasing  - it suggests you don't want the aggro of the legal issues but would prefer our hard-working moderators to have this aggro instead.

I'm sure that's not what you intended, butI think @digitalscream's terse response was entirely appropriate as a result.

Most posters on here have disagreements with other forum members from time to time, but having a go at the TFB mods is not OK imho, considering they run this site for free and for our benefit, and have to deal with a lot of grief sometimes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited November 2016
    let's lighten the mood up a bit...

http://i.imgur.com/WgUlRRV.jpg
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • miserneil said:
    Nunogilberto said:
    Claiming it's not a morals lesson when you wrote 'the moral of the story is,' is a bit rich, frankly. I fully appreciate the legal position the forum is in, which is why I haven't tried to sell it on here - either with or without the logo. I was simply asking other forum users what their thoughts were on getting rid of it. I'm not blaming you for the rules, just your over-zealous moderating.

o 
    Unfortuantely, I have to agree. However, we all have bad days and perhaps days when ones fuse might be shorter than others. I've put it down to that.

Seriously?

This is about the fairest moderated forum I've ever used, @Digitalscream did nothing more than point out the bleeding obvious. Whilst making it clear Chibsons not welcome and why.

Over zealous moderating indeed! There are some sites where this thread would be deleted already and op banned for even mentioning it..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    edited November 2016
    I'd like to hear from @Dichibalscream on the matter
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
    I see the roles a bit more like this:-

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @digitalscream has PM'd me and explained his reasons for coming across like he did. 

I fully appreciate the legality issue of trying to flog a counterfeit guitar on the forum, and I know a few others offered common sense advice.

I just felt he came on too strongly and I've explained as much in my response to his PM.

Simple as.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    edited November 2016
    mellowsun said:
    Most posters on here have disagreements with other forum members from time to time, but having a go at the TFB mods is not OK imho, considering they run this site for free and for our benefit, and have to deal with a lot of grief sometimes.
    I fully agree with @digitalscream on this thread, and have no issue with how he came across, but I totally disagree with you that the mods need magic treatment and cannot be disagreed with.

Unless they are 'modding' they should just be treated the same as everyone else imo.