Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

If 'The Origin of Species' is correct then why?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72610
    Chimps aren't far behind at all - less than a 2% difference in genetic makeup. But that little difference has huge consequences. As already said, there were other proto-humans who were even closer, which are now extinct - almost certainly because we eliminated them as unwelcome competition - the most recent was Neanderthal Man.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11970
    Sporky said:
    So has our accelerated metal ability upset the theory of evolution as we now can change the environment around us so dramatically?
    It will have shifted the selection criteria, so we're less restricted by natural selection and more by other factors.

However, as pretty much everyone can have kids now you're right that evolution probably isn't doing much for us. Bear in mind though that it operates over very, very long periods of time - longer than civilisation has existed, fer example.

One other reason why no other species has hit the same heights as us is that it may not be advantageous. Being conscious must have helped us survive and pass on our genes. It might be a hindrance for other species in other environments.
    Apparently, the reason the Dutch are now all much taller than  their neighbours is down to a preference for very tall partners, and tall people having more kids, which is the opposite of typical  behaviour

So  conscious  actions are now the dominant force in human evolution, part of that being medical interventions

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7933
    edited November 2016
    It's a theory.  It's taught as fact, but it's still a theory. 
    13reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2016
    ICBM said:
    Chimps aren't far behind at all - less than a 2% difference in genetic makeup. But that little difference has huge consequences. As already said, there were other proto-humans who were even closer, which are now extinct - almost certainly because we eliminated them as unwelcome competition - the most recent was Neanderthal Man.
    5% of non-African DNA is Neanderthal , they reckon.  Plenty of interbreeding, Some theories are they were assimilated.
    My Jamaican mate thought this amusing, I think since we have always used "neanderthal" as an insult
    but since then they've postulated that Neanderthals were also intelligent:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/8898321/Neanderthals-were-too-smart-for-their-own-good.html

• TheMarlin said:
    Please let's not go there. 
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    TheMarlin said:

The theory of gravity is still a theory...
    I aknowledge your right to not trust theories as fact and await your forum posts for help as you are thrown from the earths surface by colossal centripetal forces as our entire solar system dissolves into an uncoordinated mess and our gas giants dissolved into nothing... 

Dont go there, few things make me genuinely angry but wilful ignorance is one.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    ToneControl said:

5% of non-African DNA is Neanderthal , they reckon.  Plenty of interbreeding, Some theories are they were assimilated.
    My Jamaican mate thought this amusing, I think since we have always used "neanderthal" as an insult
    but since then they've postulated that Neanderthals were also intelligent:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/8898321/Neanderthals-were-too-smart-for-their-own-good.html

Neanderthals actually had slightly larger brains on average than modern humans, not smaller - although that doesn't necessarily mean they were more intelligent.

I don't doubt at all that they died out partly by assimilation - that's typical modern human behaviour when one group wins a war against another as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33837
    This thread is a wonderful display of anti-science 'my ignorance is as valuable as your knowledge' type thinking.
    Some of you need to go back to school.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • So has our accelerated metal ability upset the theory of evolution as we now can change the environment around us so dramatically? Rather than it taking millions of years for us to adapt to the environment we can change the environment to suit us in a very short space of time, how does the human continue to evolve and in what direction if we keep changing the environment we are in?

my metal ability has waned as I've mellowed with age 
    dementia?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5018
    octatonic said:
    This thread is a wonderful display of anti-science 'my ignorance is as valuable as your knowledge' type thinking.
    Some of you need to go back to school.
    Something something entitled to my opinion something something
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited November 2016
    It's only because of a shared history, memory and language and decent nutrition and logistics systems.  I'd challenge anyone who was brought up in the woods by wolves to do anything more than set a few traps, that is if they survived to adulthood at all. 

With education being drummed and expectation and social and communal order drummed into us at such an early age we do take collective memory, be it medicine, technology, tooling and books for granted.  Hence why some people believe we are higher beings.  We are no more intelligent than we were a thousand years ago, just that we have a massive head start and are well fed.

When the first English settlers arrived in what is now Virginia, the native Americans towered above them in height because they had far superior nutrition.  Most of the colonising settlers died although the native Americans did help a load of them.

I think if you think that humans are vastly more capable I would say you are far too wrapped up in the moment and believing of modern culture. 

You have to step aside, remember your history and think objectively about what we have really achieved and what it really amounts to.  Nothing much has changed in the world in thousands of years, just that the mechanisms for delivery have been updated, are more efficient and more reliable. 

But if you still want to believe we are higher beings with your insular blinkers on, then go ahead, you are free to do so, like those silicon valley scientists who theorize that the whole world is just a simulation. 

Free your mind.

I can quite imagine the Dutch selectively breeding for height characteristics, after all the place is so bloody flat.

Modern technology and communications and culture has done far more to destroy the numbers and prolong the suffering of other humans than it has any other animals.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2016
    We still rely on fossil fuels, electricity and internal combustion engines.  If you really believe the tech hype get off your Xbox or whatever it is.  Working class men doing national service in REME in the early '50's aged 17 were leagues ahead in terms of education than your typical man in his 40's these days and yet there is still famine and poverty and only notions of free choice and freedom in society.

So next time you see a wild chimpanzee rip the arms off a baby chimpanzee and eat it or a bunch of ants, don't be so quick to assume we are leagues above them.  We are just animals the same.  Paedophilia, killing, torture, genocide, exploitation, cruelty.   It's all still with us and an integral part of our primate evolution.  Think about what motivates you and how willing your really are to share and how you justify the importance of your own existence over overs.  Don't believe the cleanliness is godliness brigade.  Hitler had it sussed and remember he served in WW1.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Sambostar said:

When the first English settlers arrived in what is now Virginia, the native Americans towered above them in height because they had far superior nutrition.  Most of the colonising settlers died although the native Americans did help a load of them.
    A serious tactical mistake, with hindsight...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Lol.......Lol
    So has our accelerated metal ability upset the theory of evolution as we now can change the environment around us so dramatically? Rather than it taking millions of years for us to adapt to the environment we can change the environment to suit us in a very short space of time, how does the human continue to evolve and in what direction if we keep changing the environment we are in?

my metal ability has waned as I've mellowed with age 
    dementia?
    just got more chilled from early 20s
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4304
    Very minor changes in physical attributes gave us huge advantages. opposing thumbs for one. We then learnt how to use tools to increase our advantage and we're able to pass that on to successive generations.  

The biggest advantage came from the ability to record things for future generations so that they each had an advantage in knowledge. That has increased exponentially in the last 2000 years. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28668
    TheMarlin said:
    Evolution is both an observed fact and a thoroughly proven scientific theory that explains that observed fact. The only arguments now are about tiny details.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24429
    ICBM said:
    Image result for trump stupid face
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    There has been at least 4 different species of humans (the genus homo) according to fossil records, and modern humans are an amalgamation of 3 of them, according to DNA analysis, so it not as clear cut as one species being superior to every other.

Besides, life has existed on earth for 3.5 billion years, and it is only within the last 3.5 million years that ancestors of man started to use stone tools. We are already seeing tool use in apes, so if humans didn't exist, a few million years from now apes could well be the ones making iPads and flying to Mars.