Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

If 'The Origin of Species' is correct then why?

What's Hot

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    ICBM said:
    holnrew said:
    axisus said:
    Some of you are forgetting, a monkey made it into space 12 years before us humans. I think that says something.
    Actually it's more like 12 weeks

First chimp in space (Ham): 31st January 1961
    Yuri Gagarin's flight: 12th April 1961
    Ah, but a *monkey* (rather than an ape) was sent up in 1949.

Sadly he was also the first spaceflight fatality.
    I had no idea about that. I thought that Sputnik 1 was the first object launched into space. I guess it was just the first thing to orbit then
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24708
    If people are made from dirt, why is there still dirt?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • someone spunked on the chimp ?
  • all life  is carbon based
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    If people are made from dirt, why is there still dirt?
    Because some of them are actually people.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940

Sambostar said:
    It's only because of a shared history, memory and language and decent nutrition and logistics systems.  I'd challenge anyone who was brought up in the woods by wolves to do anything more than set a few traps, that is if they survived to adulthood at all. 

With education being drummed and expectation and social and communal order drummed into us at such an early age we do take collective memory, be it medicine, technology, tooling and books for granted.  Hence why some people believe we are higher beings.  We are no more intelligent than we were a thousand years ago, just that we have a massive head start and are well fed.

When the first English settlers arrived in what is now Virginia, the native Americans towered above them in height because they had far superior nutrition.  Most of the colonising settlers died although the native Americans did help a load of them.

I think if you think that humans are vastly more capable I would say you are far too wrapped up in the moment and believing of modern culture. 

You have to step aside, remember your history and think objectively about what we have really achieved and what it really amounts to.  Nothing much has changed in the world in thousands of years, just that the mechanisms for delivery have been updated, are more efficient and more reliable. 

But if you still want to believe we are higher beings with your insular blinkers on, then go ahead, you are free to do so, like those silicon valley scientists who theorize that the whole world is just a simulation. 

Free your mind.

I can quite imagine the Dutch selectively breeding for height characteristics, after all the place is so bloody flat.

Modern technology and communications and culture has done far more to destroy the numbers and prolong the suffering of other humans than it has any other animals.
    You appear to have gone beyond my initial question and taken it upon yourself to bang about humankind and your general dissatisfaction with it.

The point I am considering is why no other species developed the same accelerated mental capacity alongside this one human species. I'm not asking whether we are better or whether what we have done with that ability is right, wrong, good or bad.

Why just one species?
    Fire.

Cooked food allows for higher calorific intake allowing for greater brain development... as we harnessed that that 100,000 or so years ago we've been reaping the benefit for a lot of generations

Aaaaand it isn't only 1 species - it's two the other is just extinct
  • Plus we murder strangers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12026
    Myranda said:

Sambostar said:
    It's only because of a shared history, memory and language and decent nutrition and logistics systems.  I'd challenge anyone who was brought up in the woods by wolves to do anything more than set a few traps, that is if they survived to adulthood at all. 

With education being drummed and expectation and social and communal order drummed into us at such an early age we do take collective memory, be it medicine, technology, tooling and books for granted.  Hence why some people believe we are higher beings.  We are no more intelligent than we were a thousand years ago, just that we have a massive head start and are well fed.

When the first English settlers arrived in what is now Virginia, the native Americans towered above them in height because they had far superior nutrition.  Most of the colonising settlers died although the native Americans did help a load of them.

I think if you think that humans are vastly more capable I would say you are far too wrapped up in the moment and believing of modern culture. 

You have to step aside, remember your history and think objectively about what we have really achieved and what it really amounts to.  Nothing much has changed in the world in thousands of years, just that the mechanisms for delivery have been updated, are more efficient and more reliable. 

But if you still want to believe we are higher beings with your insular blinkers on, then go ahead, you are free to do so, like those silicon valley scientists who theorize that the whole world is just a simulation. 

Free your mind.

I can quite imagine the Dutch selectively breeding for height characteristics, after all the place is so bloody flat.

Modern technology and communications and culture has done far more to destroy the numbers and prolong the suffering of other humans than it has any other animals.
    You appear to have gone beyond my initial question and taken it upon yourself to bang about humankind and your general dissatisfaction with it.

The point I am considering is why no other species developed the same accelerated mental capacity alongside this one human species. I'm not asking whether we are better or whether what we have done with that ability is right, wrong, good or bad.

Why just one species?
    Fire.

Cooked food allows for higher calorific intake allowing for greater brain development... as we harnessed that that 100,000 or so years ago we've been reaping the benefit for a lot of generations

Aaaaand it isn't only 1 species - it's two the other is just extinct
    did you just make that up?
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4307
    martinw said:
    You think human beings are advanced?
    The species that gives us Donald Trump, the people that would vote for him, shopping at B&M, mass obesity, creationists, religious fanatics, rejection of science, an ability to destroy the planet yet an inability to address simple issues, greed.....I could go on. And on.
    Wash your mouth out. B&M was until quite recently the only place you could reliably get Oakham Citra in bottles and hence I was known to regularly to frequent my local store to stock up. Doesn't mean I would vote for Trump, or am obese, a creationist or a luddite.I just like Oakham beers. So all those fat fuckers in dshell suits you see going in your local B&M might actually be quite intelligent discerning beer aficionados. :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72793
    Plus we murder strangers
    So do Chimps.

Adult male ones have similarly aggressive behaviour to teenage male humans, with about the intellectual level of a toddler, which is not a good combination. There's some disturbing footage I've seen of a gang of them torturing and killing another male from a different group, and rival groups fight wars over territory and females. All too human-like, really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Yeah but that behaviour all still happens on a Friday down town.  Or at least it used to. 

These days kids probably sit around contemplating teeth whitening, neo liberalism and commiserating their exit from the EU over a Frapuccino whilst discussing Thatcher interspersed with comparing sleeve tattoos, skin tight jeans and haircuts and this isn't even with the aid of any drugs.

It'll all end in no good I tell thee.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • ICBM said:
    Plus we murder strangers
    So do Chimps.

Adult male ones have similarly aggressive behaviour to teenage male humans, with about the intellectual level of a toddler, which is not a good combination. There's some disturbing footage I've seen of a gang of them torturing and killing another male from a different group, and rival groups fight wars over territory and females. All too human-like, really.

Bonobo's use sex for power...like women.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Plus we murder strangers
    So do Chimps.

people like to imagine we are an especially evil species
    unfortunately, we are very typical
    Sambostar said:
    Yeah but that behaviour all still happens on a Friday down town.  Or at least it used to. 

These days kids probably sit around contemplating teeth whitening, neo liberalism and commiserating their exit from the EU over a Frapuccino whilst discussing Thatcher interspersed with comparing sleeve tattoos, skin tight jeans and haircuts and this isn't even with the aid of any drugs.

It'll all end in no good I tell thee.
    whatever happened to getting a bit tipsy?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72793
    ToneControl said:

people like to imagine we are an especially evil species
    unfortunately, we are very typical
    Those lovely, friendly, peace-loving Bottlenose Dolphins have been filmed attacking and killing smaller porpoises, apparently for either fun or to practice fighting other dolphins, too.

We're no different from other animals at all - we just have better weaponry. If anything, civilised humans who have mostly taught themselves not to behave according to their base instincts are the exception.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • If anything, civilised humans who have mostly taught themselves not to behave according to their base instincts are the exception.

have a wiz.

• HaychHaych Frets: 5736
    To answer the original question posed; because the Origin of Species isn't correct, IMHO.

I've really tried to buy into evolution but it just does not compute.  In fact I'd go as far to say that the only thing that has evolved is the theory of evolution.  Each time it hits a dead end because of lack of evidence it evolves to take a different turn that can somehow explain the gap in evidence.

The other thing that really gets my goat is that if the principle behind evolution was applied to any other area of scientific investigation it would be laughed out the lab.  Evolution has been decided as fact and the evidence is contorted to support the desired conclusion. That's not science, that's fraud!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

13reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Haych said:
    To answer the original question posed; because the Origin of Species isn't correct, IMHO.

I've really tried to buy into evolution but it just does not compute.  In fact I'd go as far to say that the only thing that has evolved is the theory of evolution.  Each time it hits a dead end because of lack of evidence it evolves to take a different turn that can somehow explain the gap in evidence.

The other thing that really gets my goat is that if the principle behind evolution was applied to any other area of scientific investigation it would be laughed out the lab.  Evolution has been decided as fact and the evidence is contorted to support the desired conclusion. That's not science, that's fraud!
    hahahahahahahahahahaha!! Changing your theory to accomodate new evidence!! WHAT A FUCKING PREPOSTEROUS NOTION!!
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5736
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Haych said:

hahahahahahahahahahaha!! Changing your theory to accomodate new evidence!! WHAT A FUCKING PREPOSTEROUS NOTION!!
    What?! You've found evidence?  Where?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.