What are you reading at the moment?

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    edited October 2015
    Just finished Deke Leonard's "winos, rhinos and lunatics", the story of the Man band. Up to his usual standards and literally laugh out loud stuff at times.

Now reading some semi-factual nonsense about the Priory of Sion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @boogieman The Priory of Sion?!

What's the book? Does it mention Henry Lincoln, Laurence Gardner et al?
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

Um:

The Power of Now - Eckardt Tolle

Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess - Bobby Fisher

Autogenics - Kai Kermani.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I am reading Memories of Ice, Steven Eriksson. Brilliant.

Also How Music Works by David Byrne. Fascinating. As is a book of the same title by John Powell. Really interesting reads about the physical nature of music and how we interpret it etc. good stuff.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Grunfeld said:

The other book is cos I was carrying too much pork around my middle (and I've reduced my weight by a stone since doing this).  I  remembered when I was vegan I was slim and felt great.  I wanted some of that slimness again but didn't want the whole tree hugging bit.  This is an awesome cookbook:  Thug Kitchen

It's not a diet book; I didn't want a diet, I wanted to cut out the crap.  And this is the way I cut the unnecessary crap which piles on the inches and pounds.  Efficient!

Nice one mate, I've just ordered that! Looks dead good. Cheers.

Another one that is good, that I got for my birthday is called Veggiestan, - middle east and eastern food. Good things.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Skarloey said:
    @boogieman The Priory of Sion?!

What's the book? Does it mention Henry Lincoln, Laurence Gardner et al?

@Skarloey. It's "The Sion Revelation" by Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince. I picked it up in a charity shop, thought it looked interesting. So far, it's not great ( a fair bit of the first chapter is devoted to nothing but taking the piss out of Dan Brown), but then I've only just started the second chapter and it hasn't really got going yet. I'm not a fan of the writing style tbh, but I'll stick with it.

Henry Lincoln has been mentioned a few times, in connection with the Holy Blood, Holy Grail book. Gardner hasn't had a look in yet.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6115
    edited October 2015

Her debut, crowd-funded sci-fi novel.
    Very enjoyable, got a bit twee at one point but now really kicking up a notch.
    For fans of spaceship/crew adventures ala Firefly or The Expanse series.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

I've taken a break from the European reformation and early Islamic studies and moved onto something more relaxing ( so I thought).

• Little Man: Meyer Lansky & The Gangster Life - Robert Lacey

Perfidia - James Elroy

Physics of the Future - Michio Kaku

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited October 2015
    Last night I listened to the Henning Mankell obituary on Radio 4's The Last Word. The programme included a very short section from a Wallander novel, which I found intriguing.
    I am going to make a start on the first Kurt Wallander book soon. I have not seen any of the tv series (either UK or Swedish). Please feel free to make any recommendations.
    :)

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    edited October 2015
    @Skipped

Ooh, I loved Wallander. I read all the novels and have seen the UK and Swedish TV series. There are some spin off novels although I haven't read them.
    The Wallander character isn't very well established early on and some of the crime writing is a bit dodgy. The novels are fairly well self contained so you could start later on. There's some stuff about South African politics, which Mankell was involved with, that comes in from time to time and dominates one of the novels making it, IMHO, the worst one ( has Lion in the title, I'll have to look). The very last one had a leap in time so isn't very typical either, (can't remember that title either!). The order they were published in the UK isn't the same as the time line in the novels, if you look on Wikipedia or somewhere to get the story order and follow that.
    The UK TV episodes tended to borrow from two or three novels at a time and emphasised Wallander the haunted character. Superbly filmed - you will want a holiday in Sweden after you've watched one. The Swedish series were more crime focused, although the last Swedish episode really went for the pathos.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    South African one is the white lioness. It's not terrible just probably the least typical. The last one is the troubled man which ends the series so best saved until last (the Swedish TV final episode would also be a spoiler for this).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Thanks @EricTheWeary

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4917
    The short story thread!

There's some good stuff in there, and one by me... 
    :P
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3623
    Bit of a Wodehouse fan here and my current bedside read is.......

• SargeSarge Frets: 2401
    Mark Helprin - Winter's Tale.
    possibly THE best and equally THE worst book I've ever had the good/mis-fortune to read.
    it's brilliant and stupid, it's clever and dumb, and it's bloody HUGE!

would I recommend it? yes and no.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited October 2015
    1984. I did read it as a kid, but re-reading it as an adult has made me realise just how good it really is. If a book was ever made from pure weapons-grade awesome, this is it. Chilling.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6390

Can be a bit heavy on the philosophy in places, but I'm loving it.  I'm reading it on my jeejah ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I enjoyed anathem. Took a while to get going enough to buy into the premise but after 150 pages or so started getting good.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4534
    edited November 2015
    @jalepano i do like Neal Stephenson but couldnt get into that one :(

I'm reading The Martian, page 86 of 348. I'm presuming it was written before the recent movie (which i've not seen) my wife has read it as has my sis and a few of my friends and they rave about, as do i. Very enjoyable so far