Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

I love Hobgoblin, made a hold specially for it on me skip-rat built tool trolley :)

http://www.alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/toolchest/bottleholder2.jpg

Can opener made from 20mm cannon shell

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Beer   Probably mankinds greatest invention 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16681
    Well I was doing some taste tests for Doombar earlier,  but I generally prefer the more interesting beers.  Sea Fury is more my thing from the main Sharps range, but I won't kick Atlantic out of bed.  

popped to the staff shop yesterday and picked up a Franciscan Well selection so tonight has been rebel red, friar weiss and Cheiftan IPA.

but this is only because I am waiting for my next batch of 8% black IPA to finish conditioning. :)

i am am on a beer enthusiast course for 2 days next week.  Following on from the beer appreciation one I did earlier in the year
  • Used to predominantly drink lager - Fosters, Carlsberg and similar shite. Once I discovered the plethora of flavours of ale I was hooked. 
    I tend to drink lighter, golden ales in the summer and darker beers when it gets colder.
    Now the temperature's dropped I'm back on Wychwoods King Goblin when at home, similar to Hobgoblin but darker and stronger, lovely. 
    If I'm out I'll try to sample stuff I've not had before, I travel a lot for work so get to try lots of local beers. So much better than drinking the same boring gnats piss every weekend. 
  • My wife is a beer drinker, I prefer wine or flat cider but have become quite a fan of Doom Bar the past 2 months. 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Wye Valley HPA - great, light session ale
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2953
    Go buy  a bottle of Wesmalle Double. Belgian beer is the way. Once you get past that see how you get on with Lambic / Oude Geueze. English Ales just don't cut it for me anymore. I had a Doom Bar the other day and it was like sour, weak, flat cordial.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • ewalewal Frets: 2584
    I've always found Hobgoblin to have a bit of an artificial taste. I like a good lager (Schiehallion, Staropramen, Schlappe-Seppel), good IPA (Double Joker, Sierra Nevada, Punk) good export/80- (Lia Fail) porters, golden ales (Bitter & Twisted) and stout. Anything decent really apart from Hobgoblin, Spitfire and these cold tea like beers you get from the likes of Shepherd Neame. Tried Doombar once and it was shite. #beerme
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Used to predominantly drink lager - Fosters, Carlsberg and similar shite. Once I discovered the plethora of flavours of ale I was hooked.
    Don't make the mistake of thinking that 'lager' is all tasteless - in fact those aren't really 'lager' at all.

*Real* lager - Czech, German, Belgian and others - is one of the highest achievements of human civilisation. There are many different flavours and colours too, just like ale - we just don't see a lot of them here, because 'lager' is assumed to mean generic bland pale yellow piss.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2555
    edited November 2016
    ICBM said:
    Used to predominantly drink lager - Fosters, Carlsberg and similar shite. Once I discovered the plethora of flavours of ale I was hooked.
    Don't make the mistake of thinking that 'lager' is all tasteless - in fact those aren't really 'lager' at all.

*Real* lager - Czech, German, Belgian and others - is one of the highest achievements of human civilisation. There are many different flavours and colours too, just like ale - we just don't see a lot of them here, because 'lager' is assumed to mean generic bland pale yellow piss.
    Indeed. I go to Germany quite often on my motorbike and their lager/beer is a cut above what we're used to here. Wheat beer is my favourite but to be honest you'd be hard pressed to find a crap lager in Germany. My favourites are Paulaner and Benediktiner, full of flavour and very strong .

Mmmm.

• Anyone else getting thristy?  =)
    +1 for Butty Bach. Found a great tasting Beer in a pub in Watchet called 'Otter'. Definitley prefer quality now that I've given up on quantity.
    I love a great European lager too. That pic above...
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2555
    edited November 2016
    I love a great European lager too. That pic above...
    I took that after a 300 mile ride to the hotel I always stay at in Neuerburg. Sat down for dinner and it was brought to me. If you look at the beer mat there's the price of the beer and it then becomes your 'tab' during your stay. I flippin' love it there.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited November 2016

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    edited November 2016

• I got into wheat beers foe a while, Kronenbourg did one called Blanc and it was with a hint of citrus, not sure if they still make it.

Trouble is I found that wheat beer gave me shocking bouts of the farts which stunk to high heaven and the missus use to kick off once the gas attack went past the funny stage.

I got into wheat beers foe a while, Kronenbourg did one called Blanc and it was with a hint of citrus, not sure if they still make it.

Trouble is I found that wheat beer gave me shocking bouts of the farts which stunk to high heaven and the missus use to kick off once the gas attack went past the funny stage.
    My favourite wheat beer has to be Estrella Inedit.  Fancy Spanish beer, not really what Spain is known for.   It's not my favourite style, but I could drink that stuff all day!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    I've kind of gone the other way in my middle age. I used to always look along the real ale pumps in a pub with relish while deciding which one to buy, but nowadays while staring at the last inch of warm brown vinegar in the bottom of my glass I start craving a proper pint of Carling.

I still drink nice bottled beers at home, but pints of the stuff on draught just make me feel a bit queasy these days. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    I got into wheat beers foe a while, Kronenbourg did one called Blanc and it was with a hint of citrus, not sure if they still make it.

=) No good to me then. I'm always in bother with 'er indoors for normal fartage, let alone some super hybrid mixture.

Loads of excellent suggestions here lads, sup up and enjoy  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:
    I've kind of gone the other way in my middle age. I used to always look along the real ale pumps in a pub with relish while deciding which one to buy, but nowadays while staring at the last inch of warm brown vinegar in the bottom of my glass I start craving a proper pint of Carling.

I still drink nice bottled beers at home, but pints of the stuff on draught just make me feel a bit queasy these days. 
    You may be in the wrong pubs, although trying lots of ales always involves at least one bad one... even if it's a personal taste thing.

but I have to accept mainstream lager has its place.  It pays my wages and whilst it is clearly in a slow decline it still accounts for quite a few million hectolitres of liquid consumed each year by the public.

edited November 2016
    Beer is good, but it gets you pissed.  Drank a barrel of Treasure.  It's an American hops.  No one else is drinking it!  Whoo ooo.

httpwwwgreatheckbrewerycoukimagesGH-PC-TIPA-01jpg

You could go to love with this shit.