Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Comments

• StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    Going back to the OP, i have Hobgoblin in the Fridge in bottles at 5.2%, last night Hobgoblin in a pub at 4.5% that didn't taste anywhere as good as the hard stuff. 
    When you had your brewery tour did they mention a lower alcohol HB or two versions of it, i'm confused as to the two that don't taste alike and differ in strength ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3924
    Yeah they are different abv's @StormshadowGuitars they elaborated at the brewery. The bottle is 5.2 and on draught it's 4.5.

I'm sure the guide said it's to do with the variety packs they sell. EU regs have a 'maximum' abv total content so they're forced to muck about with the output. 
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    Deadman said:
    Yeah they are different abv's @StormshadowGuitars they elaborated at the brewery. The bottle is 5.2 and on draught it's 4.5.

I'm sure the guide said it's to do with the variety packs they sell. EU regs have a 'maximum' abv total content so they're forced to muck about with the output. 
    Doh :(  Thanks for the answer @Deadman ;
    HB on draught was amazing at 5.2, this just seems a little weak now and not quite the same! 
    I'll have to get cracking on a HB clone for my next brew :)
    That sounds ace. Are you doing invites when it's matured?  =)

This Old Crafty Hen is tonight's leader so far. It's bloody lovely stuff. You wouldn't think it was 6.5%. Goes down lovely.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16751
    edited November 2016
    Deadman said:

Doh  Thanks for the answer @Deadman ;;
    HB on draught was amazing at 5.2, this just seems a little weak now and not quite the same! 
    I'll have to get cracking on a HB clone for my next brew
    We do the same with Doombar.  Not quite as big a difference but it's 4% at the pump and 4.3% in bottles.

Bottles and casks act differently and the bottles need that bit extra to be anywhere close to the cask version. Obviously bottles need to be ready to drink straight from the brewery, whereas cask will always have a few days of conditioning in the pub

But yeah, unfortunately duty is a big decider in the abv of most commercial beers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    "We" Wez? When are you doing bring a friend to work day next? 
    I don't brew at work, just at home.... I am in the asset management bit looking after the equipment in pubs.  My own bit is running a "swap shop" of equipment between the brewers.  
    Although I did spend 2 days drinking on a beer expert course earlier in the week.  That is what prompted me to try more sour beers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Poor you. You really should consider an employment tribunal Wez.
    Deadman said:
    Poor you. You really should consider an employment tribunal Wez.
    I came from teaching, where there were no perks at all other than holidays, which did not benefit me as my wife an friends are not teachers and don't want to pay extra for holidays.

so now I get healthcare, bonus decent holiday as well as a beer allowance (about 30-60 crates of beer each year, depending what I chose).  They also look after us quite well... the beer course is a good example of that but we have a lot of events and perks going on.   In 10 years in education I got a box of chocolates and a bottle of wine at xmas and that was considered good

its not always a perfect job, but I know I shouldn't complain
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    Had a nice bottle of Spitting Llama last night. It's locally brewed in County Antrim, a Belgian style golden ale, 7% abv, very tasty.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    On my recent beer course i discovered I quite liked fruity sour beers...  so that prompted me to place an order for some more in that style to try.  i also ordered some more interesting smoked beers and some Trappist stuff.   so it finally arrived today and i have a nice mix of old and new, sweet, sour and smokey beers.   The aim here is to expand my pallete a bit

I also have a black friday mystery box of beer due to turn up later  :)

Just trying the first one, a 2.2% sour ale from sweden :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    some nice stuff in the mystery box

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fantastic stuff Wez. I feel like a kid in a candy shop now when I'm choosing.

I love the look of some of those you're lucky enough to have got hold of, I've got another big selection for tonight myself too. If there are any real stand out ones I'll post about them later.
    ...by the way can you do the same? I'm being drawn to that 'Bommen and Granalen'  :)
    Deadman said:
    ...by the way can you do the same? I'm being drawn to that 'Bommen and Granalen'  :)
    so am I... but it may be another night.

I am on my second sour - The Wild Beer Co Black and Blue.  This is un boiled, unhopped raw beer brewed with wild yeast  and frankly its not much like beer at all.Its funky, very sour, leaves a lingering dry peppercorn taste and has an odd oaky funk to it.   I can see what they were going for,but its not quite there for me.   Its not as smokey as I had hoped

But thats the point of this, i wanted to try more sours, and that one is a step to far
    You mean...... you're not going to drink all that tonight? Er, OK  ;)

Good to try new stuff though eh? Even if it doesn't work. I went to a 'proper' real ale boozer recently and had the barman's recommendation. I swear I puked a little bit about half way through. Not sure what it was but my God it was woeful.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited November 2016
    Currently drinking, whilst watching Wales vs South Africa,  a deliciously fruity pale ale brewed (by me) with Hüll Melon and Mandarina Bavaria hops. I've never tasted anything quite like it from a commercial  brewery.  
    Sounds nice but I do prefer something darker.

Just had a beautiful 6.3% Adnams Broadside and currently on an Old Peculiar. The latter brings back memories of a very vomity Theakstons brewery trip when I was at RAF Leeming in 1988 as a stupid young 18 year old. Tastes better nowadays but I'm not trying to down 6 pints in 60 minutes.
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    Guzzled down copious amounts of it after gigging last night. Didn't get drunk -at all- or pee myself empty. Scarcely any pee... felt great in the morning... the word hangover seems to have become a non-existent one... have I literally grown old?