Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    If you can find it Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter is fantastic, as is their Oatmeal Stout and Nut Brown Ale. 
    Taddy Lager is among the best I've ever tried.

Perversely, this thread has made me want an ice cold pint of Peroni.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 994
    edited November 2016
    Hoegaarden is one of my favourites atm. Any place I'm in that has wheat beer I will have a try of.

There's a German bar/restaurant in London called Katzenjammer, that sells Paulaner lagers and wheat beers.  Good stuff. 

My local Wetherspoons used to sell a black Czech lager called Kostritzer that was lovely stuff.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28654
    duotone said:
    Hoegaarden is one of my favourites atm. Any place I'm in that has wheat beer I will have a try of.

Beerhawk do a surprisingly varied wheat beer case. Jolly good stuff.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I can confirm this stuff on keg is also alright.

Image result for green devil 6

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited November 2016
    Double post
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    hywelg said:
    Sambostar said:
    I can confirm this stuff on keg is also alright.

Image result for green devil 6

Anything by Oakham is excellent but Green Devil is superb. 

And whilst I think the Brewdog pair are an arrogant  bunch some of their beers are very good indeed. They're in many supermarkets now so if you haven't, try a few especially Punk IPA. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2605
    Having spent an enjoyable afternoon in the pub, I've decided that I'd be perfectly happy if Inveralmond, Harviestoun and Williams Bros were the only breweries on the planet. Beautiful stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Deadman said:

On my nights out now I'd rather have a cool Hobgoblin than an ice cold Peroni.
    Thoughts? Tips? Anyone?
    I love beer.

I don;'t understand why anyone drinks thin watery stuff like Bud, Carling, Carlsberg, fosters etc - it tastes of very little.

I prefer anything that has a bit of flavour and depth to it.

probably my beer of choice is either Citra or Inferno by Oakham brewery. I like hoppy beers.
    I also like good trad english bitters.

Not so keen on Doom Bar, I prefer Tribute.

Stout - all is good. Some of the smaller brewers do some crackers. Belhaven stout is nice. All the stout by Thornbridge is lovely, well everything they do is lovely really.

Farmer's Brewery from Bradfield, Peak District, do a great stout, and a really interesting Belgian Blue - which is an ale that has blueberries in it, so the head has a blue tinge. Very nice ruby ale sort of thing.

cold nights, fires, local ales, bit of hearty food that sticks to your ribs: love this time of year.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5551
    ewal said:
    Having spent an enjoyable afternoon in the pub, I've decided that I'd be perfectly happy if Inveralmond, Harviestoun and Williams Bros were the only breweries on the planet. Beautiful stuff.
    You're not wrong. I regularly drink Inveralmond Ossian, Harviestoun Schiehallion, and as for Williams Bros I could happily drink Perfect Storm, Joker or 7 Giraffes any day. I often do!

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3343
    I've been a real ale drinker my entire life, the mass produced largers always give me gas and heartburn so apart from the occasional Corona with lime on hot day I avoid it; but the most depressing thing recently is it seems real ale is messing up my digestive track so much so I'm getting stomach cramps and diarrhoea if I have any more than 3 pints. 

Ive tried various different beers/ales of late and it's always the same story so much so now that when I go to the pub with mates I don't bother drinking 
    grungebob said:
    I've been a real ale drinker my entire life, the mass produced largers always give me gas and heartburn so apart from the occasional Corona with lime on hot day I avoid it; but the most depressing thing recently is it seems real ale is messing up my digestive track so much so I'm getting stomach cramps and diarrhoea if I have any more than 3 pints. 

Ive tried various different beers/ales of late and it's always the same story so much so now that when I go to the pub with mates I don't bother drinking 
    Yep, I get the guaranteed shits and a painful bloated gut all day the next day, sometimes even one new beer and my face gets all blotchy like it does if I even have a sip of most red wines.  Cannot touch the wheaty beers as I get sick for days.  Also get it from eating bread and stuff these days, so I avoid it.  I think it's just the white man's curse when you get into you 40's / 50's.

Although I did some googling and and discovered that smoking has a massive effect on your stomach, and alcohol is a poison, besides that, I think it's specifically something in the beer, certain beers especially.  I'm lucky though as I like all those citrusy American hoppy beers which not many others seem to like.

If it gets a lot worse I might consider giving up drinking, but it's tolerable at the moment.  Had 8 pints of Dorset Gold last night and apart from the diuretic effects of alcohol, the guts seems to be spot on now so, touch wood.  There seem to be three things going on.  Histamine reactions to some shit that some brewers put in there, alcohol intolerance and maybe some other yeast, hops or wheat intolerance thing.

I think the key is everything in moderation, but the problem with real ale is that it tastes so good.

Definitely keep trying different beers, is it the same reaction with wine or spirits?
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3343
    @Sambostar ;;
    glad im not alone then.  Wine and spirits I'm physically ok with but apart from rum with a splash of water I don't really like them. 

I know hobgoblin is defo a bad one for me, and I tend to gravitate to the darker ales. 
    Stouts and Porter's I'm fine with. 
  • beer is the answer, who cares what the question is ;) ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I think it's a tolerance thing, like getting stung too many times by wasps.  It was horrendous when I first swapped the sitting at home drinking Stella or wine for real ale and going down the pub every night again some 5 months ago.

I mean horrendous, one sip and I'd have a blinding headache, massive lethargy, the shits and swollen guts for a week. 
    5 months odd down the line it's OK if I stick to what I like the taste of and the menu is always changing. 

I like the fruity lighter coloured or American hoppy stuff which is usually about 4.5 - 6% but the polar opposite of darker ales or Hobgoblin.  Dorset Gold is a fairly regular beer, I don't like it that much to the even fruitier guest beers, especially the ones with American hops as to me it starts to bizarrely taste of whisky for some reason and messes with my mind, but it's fine on the guts and is a popular staple beer if nothing else is on but dark ales.

For my guts and bloating I found the darker stuff and wheat stuff especially the worse although I still get those superficial red patchy face itching and runny nose histamine reactions with some guest beers occasionally and swollen gut for the next day, in generally not and I agree with the Hobgoblin, that does me in as well, I wouldn't touch it with a dirty spade.
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    Just brewed up an Xmas beer this week, a 6.6% Dark Ruby with Chocolate, Blueberry and Cinnamon. If it tastes as good as it smells i'm closed for 2 weeks as i'll unable to type ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16751
    Sounds nice!

I am not going to do any more brews before xmas, but i have a crate of strong dark stuff that should  see me through, if it lasts

I have just done a beer order for  quite a few unusual beers,   gone for a selection or sour, smoked and trappist beers 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3924
    edited November 2016
    I had some lager last night. Tasted wrong on all levels. Tonights selection is:

Guinness West Indies Porter
    Wychwoods Black Wych
    Morland Old Crafty Hen (6.5%, hic!)
    Badgers Poachers Choice

I'm gonna enjoy them with some punk music and curry. Cheers!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5179
    Yellow Hammer is my favourite..I spent a night at a beer festival with 200+ beers but I stuck on Yellow Hammer
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3924
    Well that's another one for the list @tone1 cheers  :)
  • I get bottles from the local shop when I'm walking the dog. The selection varies but tonight it's Hobgoblin (both regular and golden) and Fursty Ferret.

My favourite lately has been Adnam's Ghost Ship. Just hoppy enough for me.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.