Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    "Copious"?

Are you sure? Adrenalin may have played a part. Did you have to put your foot on the floor when you went to bed?  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    p90fool said:
    My local is the Arvon Ale House, named CAMRA Pub of the Year for the whole of Wales 2016, so it's definitely me not them!
    @p90fool -- righto-ho, I'm up in Llandrindod Wells 5-8th Dec ostensibly to get my shit together for a new job where I'm supposed to be clever.  I think your pub trumps my minimal feelings of guilt. So I shall be there!
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

That malty shite is awful.  Currently was on some red stuff at 4.6.

Great beer on the rack, be on next week  6+ American Hops.  Just can't wait.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16681
    Deadman said:
    You mean...... you're not going to drink all that tonight? Er, OK  ;)

Good to try new stuff though eh? Even if it doesn't work. I went to a 'proper' real ale boozer recently and had the barman's recommendation. I swear I puked a little bit about half way through. Not sure what it was but my God it was woeful.
    I was out eating thai food with a bottle or two of Singha.  The only ale option was bottled pedi, I know from experience it does not go well with Thai.   Food was lovely though.

The hardest thing with these weird beer orders is not drinking them all straight away

I only had 4 bottles last night and was quite well oiled I have to say. That's the beauty of 6-7% beers. I love the fact that they don't taste that strong either.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    I had a very tasty pint yesterday called "Teenage Kicks" from the Acorn Brewery in Barnsley - they're celebrating 13 years in business, hence the name.

Proper Yorkshire bitter, with a little extra hoppiness - highly recommended if you can find it.
    This ones rather lovely

brewed in  Italy, infused with tobacco leaves.  Its quite a light porter, lifted up by a sweet herbal slightly spicy tobacco hint.  more like opening a fresh box of high quality cigars than smelling a stale ashtray   - its very subtle though
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Apparently craft brewing us getting very big in Italy.
    I will certainly try more in the future.  I will admit it was the weird bottle that got this one added to the shopping list ;)
    Gawd that Italian porter looks and sounds amazing. 
  • WezV said:
    On my recent beer course i discovered I quite liked fruity sour beers...  
    I quite like sour stuff - but prefer the fruity pale ales. Brewdog Elvis Juice is in our local Tescos so that's a bonus. I've got a can of Chilli Mango IPA to try too (don't try this at home!) otherwise known as NEON OVERLORD!

And won't be long before we all need some festive beer. Only 10.5% so helps you sleep off most of Christmas day.

And won't be long before we all need some festive beer. Only 10.5% so helps you sleep off most of Christmas day.

i have just been reading up on that brewery....
  • I need to try their Abt 12 - apparently it's amazing.
    edited November 2016
    After my course I have been encouraged to follow these steps:

1) Buy lots of different beer, go for ones i would not normally pick.
    2) taste it properly
    3) record notes in a beer diary
    4) go and read up about the beer and compare notes with other reviews
    5) taste it again

So i am going to try a few tonight as I am off work tomorrow.   The diary in underway and I am booked onto a Beer Sommelier taster day in january, just to see if I want to take it further.

First up is the little pink can of Salty Kiss.   Its a gose.  never had one of them before.  Its a salty sour german style, but i don't know if this one is similar to the traditional varieties.   This is nowhere near as tart as the sours i had yesterday, and the saltiness is pretty subtle.   reminds me of a lemon tea   probably a good one to try as an introduction to the full on sours
  • I need a diary. I remember Salty Kiss being interesting, drinkable, but not on the I need more of this list.
    I need a diary. I remember Salty Kiss being interesting, drinkable, but not on the I need more of this list.
    i must admit it started better than it finished, but it was easy drinking and gone before i knew it :)

next up is the Rodenbach Grand Cru.  I had ordered the standard  one too, but it never arrived.  another sour one before something darker and stronger to finish off

• I've just registered at ratebeer. That can be my diary. I think I shall be giving slightly more basic reviews than some of there unless I do some training too.

WezV said:
    next up is the Rodenbach Grand Cru.  

The mention of vinegar in the reviews isn't setting my tastebuds alight!

I've just registered at ratebeer. That can be my diary. I think I shall be giving slightly more basic reviews than some of there unless I do some training too.

WezV said:
    next up is the Rodenbach Grand Cru.  

The mention of vinegar in the reviews isn't setting my tastebuds alight!

yeah, i got a big hit of balsamic vinegar when i first shoved my nose in the glass... if it was wine you would ditch it on that alone. Its bloody lovely... just the right amount of  sour but really well balanced with it

• WezV said:
    yeah, i got a big hit of balsamic vinegar ... Its bloody lovely... just the right amount of  sour but really well balanced with it

Still not drooling but I'll take your word for it! Let us know what dark one you go for.
    WezV said:
    yeah, i got a big hit of balsamic vinegar ... Its bloody lovely... just the right amount of  sour but really well balanced with it

Still not drooling but I'll take your word for it! Let us know what dark one you go for.
    Just opened the Ola Dubh.  This is a style i knew i would like and it doesn't disappoint.  Tastes almost charred, which i like