Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Fender Pro Jazzmaster/Jaguar/Stratocaster/Telecaster

What's Hot

Comments

• Loobs said:
    I do like the 3-way toggle switch on the Jaguars. With a rosewood fingerboard it'd look quite nice.
    All the other models are available with RW fretboards according to what's been posted, so I'd be very surprised if the Jag didn't too.
    I have a suspicion most new Fenders will have maple boards here, due to changes in CITES.  

One with RW boards will be available but will require more paperwork/a permit to be paid for, so there's probably be more expensive than their maple counterparts. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Loobs said:
    I do like the 3-way toggle switch on the Jaguars. With a rosewood fingerboard it'd look quite nice.
    All the other models are available with RW fretboards according to what's been posted, so I'd be very surprised if the Jag didn't too.
    I have a suspicion most new Fenders will have maple boards here, due to changes in CITES.  

One with RW boards will be available but will require more paperwork/a permit to be paid for, so there's probably be more expensive than their maple counterparts. 

I wonder if they'll just start playing a bit more fast and loose with what they call "rosewood". There are probably tons of similar species out there that they could just about get away with calling rosewood.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16736
    Loobs said:

I wonder if they'll just start playing a bit more fast and loose with what they call "rosewood". There are probably tons of similar species out there that they could just about get away with calling rosewood.

Like the "Santos rosewood" they have  used for years?  Although you are more likely to see that one listed as Pau Ferro by Fender, probably with a premium.  If you have a lighter or redder rosewood on a fender its likely its Pau Ferro

What used to be a cheap rosewood alternative is now often seen as an upgrade.   Its a great wood in its own right, but not a true rosewood. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I was surprised when I first saw the specs. It appeared that the main things that lots of people liked with the Standard Strat are the changes.
    Neck profile
    Frets (although these less so)
    But most of all the Custom Shop 50's pickups.
  • WezV said:
    Loobs said:

Like the "Santos rosewood" they have  used for years?  Although you are more likely to see that one listed as Pau Ferro by Fender, probably with a premium.  If you have a lighter or redder rosewood on a fender its likely its Pau Ferro

What used to be a cheap rosewood alternative is now often seen as an upgrade.   Its a great wood in its own right, but not a true rosewood. 

That sort of thing, yeah. Chances are if you're not a luthier or a botanist you'll assume that if it's roughly the right colour and nobody's telling you otherwise, it's rosewood.

Personally, I don't care what they make a guitar out of if it sounds good and plays well, but I imagine a lot of guitarists want to be told a guitar is made from the "right" woods, so manufacturers aren't above bending the truth a little to make it so.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Easy enough to get a new scratchplate for the JM with the switch in the right place, I'd have thought?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Bucket said:
    Easy enough to get a new scratchplate for the JM with the switch in the right place, I'd have thought?
    Assuming the routing is standard, which is probably a reasonable assumption.

And preferably tortoiseshell :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2248
    WezV said:
    Loobs said:

That sort of thing, yeah. Chances are if you're not a luthier or a botanist you'll assume that if it's roughly the right colour and nobody's telling you otherwise, it's rosewood.

Personally, I don't care what they make a guitar out of if it sounds good and plays well, but I imagine a lot of guitarists want to be told a guitar is made from the "right" woods, so manufacturers aren't above bending the truth a little to make it so.

I'm happy with not maple on  a JM.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:

Pau Ferro is a great wood, one of the best sounding guitar I have ever owned had it for the back and sides.  

I have no idea how mass manufacturers plane fretboards but when it comes to smaller workshops, many refuse to work with Pau Ferro due to the high occurrences of allergies; I know a maker who was hospitalised due to his PF allergy!  It could prove to an obstacle in it becoming a mainstream choice for fretboards. 
  • WezV said:

Pau Ferro is a great wood, one of the best sounding guitar I have ever owned had it for the back and sides.  

I have no idea how mass manufacturers plane fretboards but when it comes to smaller workshops, many refuse to work with Pau Ferro due to the high occurrences of allergies; I know a maker who was hospitalised due to his PF allergy!  It could prove to an obstacle in it becoming a mainstream choice for fretboards. 

Pao Ferro sounds great on an Acoustic, I can't quite remember what it was but there was a Parlour sized acoustic I played with Pao Ferro back and sides and a Cedar Top, it sounded huge!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16736
    Sorry, I was trying to avoid the better/worse arguments.  Just pointing out fender already use some non-rosewood "rosewoods".

the other issue is getting a customs official to recognise the difference.  That ain't gonna happen.
  • Are these replacing American Standards? They seem to be discontinued pending something new. Surely not these things with daft fat necks on them?
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    These have big necks? 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Just read it. Look forward to trying one with a rosewood neck. 
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    Are these replacing American Standards? They seem to be discontinued pending something new. Surely not these things with daft fat necks on them?
    It's a contentious issue of course, but I actually like bigger necks, not width but depth.

GuitarGuitar seem to have the Pro series on pre-order now.

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/search.asp?search=Fender American Pro

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
     ...I actually reckon that new placement is much more sensible and I'd be far less likely to keep smacking into it there.
    Me too.  Switch position is about the only thing I don't like on my JM.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    They will be in the shops for Christmas. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom