Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Fender Pro Jazzmaster/Jaguar/Stratocaster/Telecaster

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• impmann said:
    Oops! Well those must have arrived since I was last there, as when I last looked they only had that red on with p90s (no thanks).

Thing is... on a personal level, why relics? I'm not a fan and Ocean Turquoise wasn't available in '61, so why team it with a corned beef pickguard? Yuk. The white is ok but again the relic thing ruins it for me... :-) Maybe I'm too fussy...
    Because that's basically all the custom shop does... most of the work is relicing in some way with a few minor enhancements like rolled edges.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    Oops! Well those must have arrived since I was last there, as when I last looked they only had that red on with p90s (no thanks).

Thing is... on a personal level, why relics? I'm not a fan and Ocean Turquoise wasn't available in '61, so why team it with a corned beef pickguard? Yuk. The white is ok but again the relic thing ruins it for me... :-) Maybe I'm too fussy...
    Because that's basically all the custom shop does... most of the work is relicing in some way with a few minor enhancements like rolled edges.
    My custom shop jazzmaster wasn't relic'd. 
    They have managed it a few times. There is a 59 reissue but it costs close to £4k I think. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • impmann said:

They have managed it a few times. There is a 59 reissue but it costs close to £4k I think. 
    True - but so much of the CS output is just about the relicing. Wathing the CS videos is depressing. Guitar built super fast. Ages spent relicing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:

True - but so much of the CS output is just about the relicing. Wathing the CS videos is depressing. Guitar built super fast. Ages spent relicing.

That's more than laughable. But then I'm not a fan of the whole relic scene so its just another aspect that makes me shrug my shoulders and slowly shake my head.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    There's a lot more to the Custom Shop then relicing.  There are lots of relic guitars but that's because that is what is asked for.  

It's a custom shop so you can order anything you want and most of what you see is built to order. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• MattFGBI said:
    There's a lot more to the Custom Shop then relicing.  There are lots of relic guitars but that's because that is what is asked for.  

It's a custom shop so you can order anything you want and most of what you see is built to order. 

To be clear, my confusion is with relicing as a 'thing' rather than Fender doing it. I can understand their wanting to meet the demand.
  • @Teetonetal I'm not so bothered about the build time to be honest. Automation is the name of the game and it makes the most money for fender which would be their focus. 

I adore my CS, if it took 10 minutes to throw together that's fine because it plays that well. 
    I did have to change the pickups and the bridge though as they were not to my taste
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • @Teetonetal I'm not so bothered about the build time to be honest. Automation is the name of the game and it makes the most money for fender which would be their focus. 

I adore my CS, if it took 10 minutes to throw together that's fine because it plays that well. 
    I did have to change the pickups and the bridge though as they were not to my taste
    Yes, I agree - the end result is the most important factor.

MattFGBI said:

Take away the cosmetics and whats the difference between a CS guitar and a factory guitar - where does the money go?
    I'm lucky enough to own a MB Tele, but honestly, beyond the paint work (which is stunning), I couldn't really tell where the extra investment is over my MIM Tele.