Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Quitting the UK

What's Hot
Just back from Japan - safe, clean, great food, excellent public transport, friendly, welcoming, healthy people. Downsides of course are rigid social hierarchies and the world's longest working hours.

Back to the UK with its broken public services, litter, beer bellies, and of course Brexit.

I'm a Remoaner and I think it's time to go. Currently considering Dublin and Stockholm.

Where are other Remoaners heading?

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I didn't vote but I've lived in the UAE for 3.5 years and also went to Japan recently. Not sure how long we'll be here but we're not coming back to the UK any time soon.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3085
    I used to think the same when I came back from other countries. I wanted to move out to Florida for years but after seeing more of this country I think I'll stay. We have some of the most beautiful countryside in the world and our countries history is amazing.

If we could just fix the lack of decent housing, a fucked NHS, shitty public transport, shitty roads, a near non-existent police force, over population, social mobility and the general lack of respect for each other it would be a good start
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    In Japan they work 80 hours weeks and don't take their full holiday allowance, not really a good life in my book. UK not perfect but better than most. Switzerland would get my vote, lovely place.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I used to work a job where 95 hour weeks wasn't unusual. Trust me, feeling constantly exhausted and sick with no social life or family life fucking sucks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Such a judgmental post..

Good luck. I have lived in five different countries and none have been perfect. Interestingly, I wonder if Japan copes better because it doesn't have such a huge continual.population growth to place strain on Infrastructure and services? Nah, can't be.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31792
    Everywhere is lovely when you're just visiting, but having lived in half a dozen different countries they have all had their issues when you scratch the surface.

I judge countries by whether you can have a decent life there if you're relatively poor - you can live anywhere if you're prosperous.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17799
    tFB Trader
    The world happiness rankings suggest Japan might not be a smart move.

UK is 23 and Japan is 53 so maybe it's a lot more fun to visit than live there.

Denmark Iceland Switzerland Norway come top.
  • I would read up on Stockholm if I were you. I think it costs a pretty penny in terms of taxes and costs of living generally. I'm sure that I read somewhere about the difficulty of finding somewhere to live there too, but that may have been Copenhagen.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Stevepage said:

If we could just fix the lack of decent housing, a fucked NHS, shitty public transport, shitty roads, a near non-existent police force, over population, social mobility and the general lack of respect for each other it would be a good start
    Which country has decent housing, fully functioning NHS, great public transport and well-maintained roads, a good police force (unarmed of course), low population, social mobility and people who respect each other?

Sounds very much like Oxfordshire to me...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31792
    Chalky said:
    Stevepage said:

Which country has decent housing, fully functioning NHS, great public transport and well-maintained roads, a good police force (unarmed of course), low population, social mobility and people who respect each other?

Sounds very much like Oxfordshire to me...
    It sounds like lots of rural UK to me, but most people here live in places I would regard as bland, ugly, or as a shitehole.

The great thing about our small country though is that you're never more than an hour from somewhere lovely.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Chalky said:
    Stevepage said:

None, it's a nice thought though isn't it
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Stevepage said:
    Chalky said:
    Stevepage said:

None, it's a nice thought though isn't it
    You're right. But as the wise @p90fool says, there are lots of bits of this country where it is true.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12050
    The grass is always greener.  Strangely many people from around the world want to come and live in the UK . Perhaps they are all deluded.  

I'd hate to live in Dublin
    all the problems of London x 2 for house prices plus congestion, but only 25% of the  nightlife of Manchester

Stockholm seemed very boring when I visited. You must be very  wealthy to be able to up sticks to Dublin or Stockholm

Once you get out of the  frankly awful (congestion and costs) London bubble, quality of life improves drastically in the UK
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17799
    tFB Trader
    I honestly can't think of anywhere else in the world I'd rather live than where I do. 

Provided you can find decent work Suffolk is a lovely place to be. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    There are lots of other lovely countries but they've all been ruined by foreigners.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Germany would be on my list.
    Also Australia. You can buy a massive a massive acreage out side Melbourne in places like Kinglake for £300,000. Only 45mins by train into the city centre.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I am happy with where I live. The rest of the country is fucked due to too much immigration legal and illegal clogging up the systems, schools, NHS and infrastructure for everyone else.

Too many people on the take and not putting anything back in the pot!

Have a great weekend I am going shopping! 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27824
    edited December 2016
    If you're predisposed to being happy, you'll find happiness anywhere.

But, on the other hand ..... 

Making any decision now, on the basis of the referendum result alone, will be a decision taken on very incomplete information.

We have no idea what form Brexit will take, and won't know for a few years yet.  It's a complete unknown.

We have no idea what the EU will look like by the time our own process has run its course.  Italian referendum this weekend, French election next year, impact of Trump on the world balance, unresolved economic tensions within the EU, Turkey's response to being blocked, etc, etc, etc.  It's all unknown.

If you're leaving "the UK" due to broken public services, they're broken because the population voted not to pay for them (NHS, Police, etc) or because their supply model is fundamentally untenable (NHS) at almost any price, or because of the ridiculously distorted nature of our economy and the remnants of an adversarial management/labour relationship (public transport in the SE).  

But essentially because too many people want to use those services.  Too.  Many.  People.

If you're leaving "the UK" because of litter & beer bellies ... Well, I can't argue with that.  

I'm leaving because I don't like the kids 3-doors down.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3073
    I couldn't cope with the pixelling of fannies in Japan.

I'm out.

29reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27824
    Suffolk is a lovely place to be. 
    "Norfolk is nicer"

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.