Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Quite Interesting..

What's Hot

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    TTony said:
    robgilmo said:
    If you are going to the shop DO NOT say to the missus ''fancy a Kit Kat Chunky''.
    Just don't do it.
    robgilmo said:
    If you are going to the shop DO NOT say to the missus ''fancy a Kit Kat Chunky''.
    Just don't do it.
    And if she pretends not to hear the first time, certainly don't repeat it.
    I think it depends on punctuation

Do you want a Kit Kat Chunky?
    vs
    Do you want a Kit Kat, Chunky?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24379
    If you cook a lot with chillies and discover your hands burn, or even worse you get some in your eye...

Then you notice that washing in water doesn't help?

This is because the active ingredient is not water soluble. But capsaicin is lipid and alcohol soluble. So wash your hands in cold cooking oil or strong alcohol. The nasty old bottle of gin will do.

If you touch your eyes, then grab an eye wash bath or a shot glass and use milk - higher fat content the better. Don't use alcohol in your eyes!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogieman said:
    If you put a bit of pva in with the water when mixing up powder polyfilla, it makes it sticks better and doesn't crack so easily. 
    That's basically what decorators filler is.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    edited December 2016
    To relieve sudden muscle cramps  it's best to work the muscle opposite the cramp, rather than try stretching the pain.

Eg,  to relieve calf cramps in the night -
    Flip over onto tummy, and pull the top of your feet firmly up against the edge of the mattress.  Hold for 10-30 secs, longer if needed.
    Calf muscles push the feet down;  pulling your feet upwards uses the opposite muscles.
    Which automatically relax the painful area.  It's how we're wired. 

Hate watching footballers with tightened hamstrings having a straight leg stretched out by teammates.
    Static quadriceps (front thigh) work is the way to go.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33802
    WezV said:
    octatonic said:
    1ml of water weights 1g.

Plenty of liquids are more dense that water though.
    For instance 1g of vegetable oil equals 1.06ml.
    1g of 15W-40 motor oil equals 1.15 ml.

So you are telling me it's close enough to not worry about it for cooking purposes?
    I'd say that it depends on what you're cooking. :)

The reason I used the engine oil example is I use a scale to measure out how much oil I want to put in the bikes, cars and mower when doing oil changes. If I set it to grams then I get an incorrect amount required.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
    edited December 2016
    octatonic said:
    1ml of water weights 1g.

I'll remember that next time I'm cooking with Castrol GTX.

I did say water/stock though.  Even if I was cooking with engine oil, it would only be 15% out though.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • monofin said:
    If a woman says, "Really? Tell me more!" do NOT tell her more. 
    When the wife says "do what you want" do NOT buy the guitar you've just been discussing

Lol - this is utterly true, but I still buy the guitar - technically she did say do what you want......
    Emp_Fab said:

Even if I was cooking with engine oil, it would only be 15% out though.
    Which would clearly change the balance of the meal.....
  • monofin said:
    If a woman says, "Really? Tell me more!" do NOT tell her more. 
    When the wife says "do what you want" do NOT buy the guitar you've just been discussing

Lol - this is utterly true, but I still buy the guitar - technically she did say do what you want......
    Plus you can enjoy your new guitar because your wife ( hopefully ) won't be talking to you ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

edited December 2016
    Can't get rid of those marks on the windscreen that show up just as the wiper passes over them ?  Clean your screen with Coca-Cola (the full fat, branded stuff).  A more effective cleaner is Bar Keepers Friend (a kitchen cleaner sold in Lakeland & eBay among others).  It's the phosphoric acid in the Coke and the oxalic acid in the Bar Keepers Friend that cuts through the oily road film that nothing else can shift.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    edited December 2016
    octatonic said:
    WezV said:
    octatonic said:
    1ml of water weights 1g.

So you are telling me it's close enough to not worry about it for cooking purposes?
    I'd say that it depends on what you're cooking.

The reason I used the engine oil example is I use a scale to measure out how much oil I want to put in the bikes, cars and mower when doing oil changes. If I set it to grams then I get an incorrect amount required.
    I must be missing something.  How does the scale know what liquid you are measuring?

and I would say a 6% variance in measurement would be okay for 99.9% of recipes.... since most rely on things as inaccurate as a tsp or a "large egg"

I font use much much motor oil in my cooking
    A great free app for driving is TomTom Speed Cameras; https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomtom.speedcams.android.map&hl=en_GB

Shows you the current speed limit, your speed, can warn you if you exceed it, warns you of cameras and you can report any mobile ones.  Also warns you of traffic jams ahead (saved my arse a couple of times that has, as instead of coming around the corner at 70 to find stationary traffic, I've already slowed down.  It happily runs in the corner on top of any sat-nav app you may use too.  One of those rare finds where every feature is good and works well.
  • Emp_Fab said:
    A great free app for driving is TomTom Speed Cameras; https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomtom.speedcams.android.map&hl=en_GB

Shows you the current speed limit, your speed, can warn you if you exceed it, warns you of cameras and you can report any mobile ones.  Also warns you of traffic jams ahead (saved my arse a couple of times that has, as instead of coming around the corner at 70 to find stationary traffic, I've already slowed down.  
    If you can't notice these situations by yourself I'd make it mandatory to retake the driving test. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Would be illegal in lots of Europe, you can get serious fines for using camera warning systems. 

Quick Google - turns itself off in those countries. Clever. I have a Tom Tom sat nav with speed camera warning and it automatically turns that feature off when I get to France.
    Emp_Fab said:

Shows you the current speed limit, your speed, can warn you if you exceed it, warns you of cameras and you can report any mobile ones.  Also warns you of traffic jams ahead (saved my arse a couple of times that has, as instead of coming around the corner at 70 to find stationary traffic, I've already slowed down.  It happily runs in the corner on top of any sat-nav app you may use too.  One of those rare finds where every feature is good and works well.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    WezV said:

I must be missing something.  How does the scale know what liquid you are measuring?

and I would say a 6% variance in measurement would be okay for 99.9% or recipes.... since most rely on things as inaccurate as a tsp or a "large egg"
    It doesn't - of course.  My post was about measuring volume of liquids when cooking - which in 99% of circumstances is going to be water or a solution / emulsion / colloid that is 90+% water.  So it works fine.  Obviously it doesn't work if you are trying to measure liquids that aren't water, or almost completely water.   If you are trying to measure out a litre of say, molten lead, then it's going to weigh a tad more than 1Kg.  Likewise, a litre of liquid Hydrogen is going to weigh just 70g, but if you're using normal cooking liquids - water, stock, etc then it works perfectly.  If not, I'm not coming around your house for dinner.
    edited December 2016
    Emp_Fab said:

Shows you the current speed limit, your speed, can warn you if you exceed it, warns you of cameras and you can report any mobile ones.  Also warns you of traffic jams ahead (saved my arse a couple of times that has, as instead of coming around the corner at 70 to find stationary traffic, I've already slowed down.  
    If you can't notice these situations by yourself I'd make it mandatory to retake the driving test. 
    Have you never been confronted with all the motorway traffic suddenly coming to a halt and had to brake ?  Having advance warning of this is a good safety feature.  Perhaps you could do without having brakes at all, because, obviously, if you can't predict a situation where you need to slow down by going through the gears first then it ought to be mandatory for you to retake your driving test.  The speed camera thing is good too..  I mean most of the time I've got the speed limiter on so there's no danger of me speeding, but sometimes you can miss when a limit changes, say from 50 to 30, and the buggers will often stick a van there to catch people who haven't noticed.  It's quite easy to miss a speed limit change if you're sending a quick text or checking something out on the internet.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2016
    Would be illegal in lots of Europe, you can get serious fines for using camera warning systems. 

Quick Google - turns itself off in those countries. Clever. I have a Tom Tom sat nav with speed camera warning and it automatically turns that feature off when I get to France.
    Emp_Fab said:

I know TomTom change their hardware GPS's from warning about speed cameras to a more generic 'hazard warning', which is essentially the same thing.
    In France earlier this year on a motorbike tour it still warned me about quite a few 'hazards' that would have cost me a couple of hundred euros. :)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Glass is permanently viscous - is why really old window glass is thicker at the bottom than the top
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Sorry, but that's a common myth.  Old glass is uneven because they didn't have the technology to make it flatter back then.  http://www.cmog.org/article/does-glass-flow
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3498
    Speed camera warning systems? You don't need those, I mean you usually find speeding cameras where they are needed, outside schools for instance, I mean you would never find one where it isn't needed,  in the middle of nowhere just after a speed change on the road after a bend, would you?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom