Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Quite Interesting..

What's Hot

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    ^ precisely. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
    p90fool said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Ah, so you're special are you ?  You have the ability to see through the cars, lorries and vans in front of you so you know the traffic ahead has suddenly slowed down because of an accident ?  That's some skill you have.
    Yes, by leaving enough space between me and the vehicle in front to see what's happening way ahead. If you can't see what's happening past the vehicle in front you're way too close. 
    You don't have bends on the motorways you drive on then ?  Or are you driving from the top deck of a bus or something ?

I'm talking about situations where you're driving along a flat motorway in busy traffic, and you cannot see "way ahead", or when you exit a bend and are suddenly presented with rapidly slowing traffic.  It's very helpful to have advance warning that you are about to encounter stationary traffic.   You sound like my sister in law when I was driving at night up dangerous mountain roads in Spain - hairpin bends with sheer drops.  I was asking Mrs Fab to keep an eye on the sat-nav to warn me of any sharp bends approaching - as an EXTRA precaution - because I was not going to take my eyes off the road, even though I was crawling along at a snail's pace.  Her sister was shouting at me because she somehow believed that I was relying on what the sat-nav was showing and wanted me to switch it off.  Bizarre logic.  You appear to be of the same mindset.  I no more rely on the app warning me of stationary traffic ahead than a pilot relies on the Ground Proximity Warning System.  It's an EXTRA precaution.

By your logic, the aircraft doesn't even need a GPWS because "if the pilot was flying properly, he would make sure he never got too close to the ground".
    I know people (men, especially) are as likely to admit they're doing things wrong behind the wheel as they are to admit they have no sense of humour but seriously mate, you're tailgating. 

You're both talking out of your arses.

I never tailgate - ever.  If you're unable to envisage any scenario where advance warning of stationary traffic ahead on a fast moving motorway is a good thing then the pair of you are dangerously overconfident of your skills.  You drive as you have been so expertly trained to do so and I, with the skills of a mere mortal, will drive to the best of my ability and also utilise any technology available to increase the safety margin.

Presumably, you'll be campaigning to get all the expensive information signs removed from the motorway network?  After all, who needs to know there's "congestion ahead" ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3498
    edited December 2016
    Interesting fact, people who argue about their driving skills in public generally drive like big girls in real life, interesting fact that.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    I didn't start it, I just recommended an app!  Anyway.... Getting the thread back on track...

There's a small hole in the handle of every fuel pump at petrol stations.  It's designed for putting a pin in (anything that fits will do), so when filling up, squeeze the trigger and press back the little flappy catch at the back of the handle so it engages with the inserted pin.  Now you can let go of the handle and it will carry on filling until the tank is full when it will automatically stop.

It's designed for truckers really who would otherwise have to stand there squeezing the trigger for ages.
  • I was taught to drive by my father and that was pretty much his mantra.

One of the best pieces of driving advice I was given is to assume other drivers are idiots. That way you're always prepared ;)

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • New Zealand is named after Zeeland in the Netherlands ( the name having become Anglicised from Nova Zeeland). It  was named by Abel Tasman who got Tasmania named after him ( which was previously Van Diemen's Land).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Sectional garage door springs are balanced to the weight of the door. When purchasing your average £2k 5m wide Hormann sectional automatic door off a builder on ebay for £50 bare this in mind.

However whilst you can fabricate pulley mounts, relocate the torsion spring mechanism and fabricate more brackets for that, lengthen the steel rope and fabricate low headroom roller hinges for the top section and cut down the panel to fit and restick the braces with an sml polymer adhesive like sticks like shit turbo, the spring balance will leave you scratching your head and no one will you a massively over priced torsion spring sell yet as sectional garage door parts are only sold by a cartel, which seemingly only leaves you with the option of weighting the door with 1.5mm galv steel it's original weight from 75kg to 131kg. However that will cost an extra £70 odd.

However you can just about find a work around by using just the main torsion spring and removing the anti lock device on the secondary spring winder to get the thing to work with the automatic opener motor.  This is what I designed down the pub one night as the door has zero headroom but was glad to see its already tried and tested in the usa and finally got it all working for around £75 all in which is much better than £500+ odd for a door that would still need modding to fit.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Well the thread had potential...too much correcting, arguing and general bollocks spoiled it. Back on track!

Richard Versalle, a tenor performing at New York's Metropolitan Opera House, suffered a heart attack and fell 10 feet from a ladder to the stage just after singing the line, "You can only live so long."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4920
    The long-overdue new trains for Northern Rail will be new classes 331 (electric multiple units) and 195 (diesel multiple units).

They will be built by CAF, so presumably in Spain.

Unfortunately, construction is only due to start in 2018, so that means probably at least another 2 years of the useless, old-fashioned, uncomfortable Leyland-bus-on-railway-track that is the class 142 "Pacer".
  • barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    edited December 2016
    Emp_Fab said:
    It's quite easy to miss a speed limit change if you're sending a quick text or checking something out on the internet.

You are Keith Mees.  I claim my £5,  please donate it to the relatives of the deceased.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28388
    Emp_Fab said:

It's quite easy to miss a speed limit change if you're sending a quick text or checking something out on the internet.
    If you do either of those while driving you should hand in your licence - you're not fit to hold it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Killjoys.  You'll be telling me I can't rest my crossword books on the steering wheel next.
  • Kill someone, anyway.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28388
    Emp_Fab said:
    Killjoys.  You'll be telling me I can't rest my crossword books on the steering wheel next.
    You've already admitted you drive too fast for the roads you're on and that your observation skills are poor - even that a phone app has 'saved your arse' more than once as result. I suspect a lot of us would appreciate it if you'd post a schedule of your anticipated routes for the week so we can be sure we're nowhere near you when you're driving.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:
    You can joke about these things - but this morning a woman in a BMW nearly hit me on the M60 - she was both on the phone AND applying lipstick.

I was that shocked, I nearly dropped my electric razor in my cup of coffee...
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2017
    Thank God someone got it @richardhomer !  Andi...  what happened to you man ? - You used to have a sense of humour.

I don't drive too fast for any road (any more).  I stick rigidly to the speed limit everywhere.  My observation skills are very good.  The phone app has 'saved my arse' a couple of times when it's warned me of stationary traffic that I've slowed down for when other drivers are whizzing past me and subsequently slamming on their brakes as they exit the bend and realise the cars in front are doing 2mph.

I have a (nearly) clean licence, I do 35,000+ miles per year, every year, have done for the past twenty years and the last time I was involved in a bump was in 2004.  I've held a full car and motorcycle licence for thirty-five years.  Every word of this is true.  Now, can we stop with the pathetic "holier than thou" condescending ego-wanks that are derailing this thread please ?  If you want to get off on feeling superior about your driving abilities, please start another thread called "I'm a better driver than you", or "Emp_Fab drives like a cnut".  In any case, I've only killed three people - and luckily for me they lost the CCTV footage otherwise the banjo practice at the wheel might have got me in a spot of bother.  (That was a joke, for the persnickety grinches).

RIGHT....  Moving on...

Nowhere in the Humpty Dumpty Nursery Rhyme does it say that Humpty Dumpty is an egg.

• Don't wear White Trousers if you are going for a Vindaloo.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    edited December 2016
    Try playing Gran Turismo (or similar) and send a text/check internet mid-lap.  Let us know how it goes.
    If a female cabbage white aphid's eggs all hatched, the offspring grew to maturity, mated, laid eggs and they all hatched and the offspring grew to maturity, that family of 2 grandparents, lots of parents, and lots and lots of grandchildren would weigh .... 520 million tonnes - more than the weight of the human population. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2016
    Double post :(