Fire Guitars - caution

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6954
    soma1975 said:
    Just a couple of corrections...

soma1975 said:
    You can all sod off with your talk of paying to post an advert. 
    Not really your decision ;)
    soma1975 said:

And if you're selling something there's a strong chance it is because you need any and all funds. 
    Actually, most of the traffic in the classifieds is nothing of the sort.
    soma1975 said:

Just because a tiny amount of people misuse it, no need to mess it up for everyone else.  
    That's not even close, I'm afraid. The vast majority of the ads in the classifieds are from users who never post outside the classifieds, and only use the forum as a free alternative to eBay.

The only reason we currently allow it is because sometimes those folk post stuff for sale that actual forum users want. Sometimes.
    I've certainly sold stuff on here when this was the case. I certainly didn't advertise it though, and my posts were identical wehther I was flush or on the breadline so not really sure how you'd know the difference to tally it up. I appreciate it's not up to me, but frankly I feel it's a horrible idea.  
    I’d be careful if I were you, you are replying to the person that funds the forum, and ultimately therefore funds the classifieds out of his own pocket. 

We do from time to time ask for donations - but there is no obligation to do so - if nobody donates, then Lee is on the hook for all costs. 

Everyone gets to benefit from the classifieds, and everyone is entitled to their opinion on how they feel the classifieds is funded, if at all. We have a lot of members who join, use the classifieds, and post nothing else - we know, because we have to approve every single member application. 

Given that the classifieds is a privilege and not a right, I personally think it’s pretty poor form that one person has to hold the financial responsibility for a service which always has been, and will remain a free to use service.
    And I think contributing/donating to the forum when you can is a great thing to do. I have contributed in the past and will in the future and currently have a pedalboard in the classifieds free to anyone that donates to the forum. 

No idea why I should be careful. I've nothing but respect for anyone contributing. I don't feel my opinion is unreasonable in any way but rather hopes to stop parts of the community being 'off limits' to people who may need it most. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    If one had to pay to post a thread anywhere on the forum it might keep the likes of 3CSB quiet :) 

One could only hope :D 

£2 per classified, for example is still next to nothing compared to eBay. That £2 fee (on ebays terms) would assume that you’ve sold an item at the £20 mark or there abouts. Of course, PayPal take their 4% too then there’s postage costs. So, if you sell an overdrive pedal for say... £100 inc shipping is £2 really a massive hardship? 
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2045
    If one had to pay to post a thread anywhere on the forum it might keep the likes of 3CSB quiet :) 

One could only hope :D 

£2 per classified, for example is still next to nothing compared to eBay. That £2 fee (on ebays terms) would assume that you’ve sold an item at the £20 mark or there abouts. Of course, PayPal take their 4% too then there’s postage costs. So, if you sell an overdrive pedal for say... £100 inc shipping is £2 really a massive hardship? 
    That’s a pretty good idea if the item sells. I don’t know if there’s a suggested donation but I’d be happy giving 3% of any sales to the forum, similar to Reverb or PayPal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2019
    As I said before though some people don't have £2. It is a hardship for them. 

EDIT: Sorry guys, this isn't a hill I want to die on or anything. I've just been the most disadvantaged in the past and as economic pressures on the skintist in this country are at a decades long high I think some sensitivity to that is the human thing to have. And I'm not suggesting we don't have that considering the current setup means someone else is paying for everything that donations don't cover. 

If you want to say to new members there is a £20 one-time fee to open up the classifieds or proof of a certain level of genuine activity in the community before they open up I think that is totally reasonable and provides a 'free to play' model for those than can't afford it. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Can one just donate to keep 3CSB from posting? 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited October 2019

If one had to pay to post a thread anywhere on the forum it might keep the likes of 3CSB quiet

Over the years since our launch, we've seen a few businesses come and stay - and prosper - and a few who've appeared briefly before a spectacular crash and burn.  

The difference?

... Engaging with the community reinforces the credibility of the business and the product. Taking an aggressively argumentative approach tends to have the opposite effect, and will remain uncensored for all to see even if you subsequently leave the forum.
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/126756/for-our-business-members

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited October 2019
    soma1975 said:

If one had to pay to post a thread anywhere on the forum it might keep the likes of 3CSB quiet

Can one just donate to keep 3CSB from posting? 

The Rules. 

This is a forum, not a courtroom. We don’t want to write rules any more than you want to read them. Help us keep the rules simple by keeping to the rules. 

1. Don’t be a dick. This is the most important rule. Every other rule is just this one in more detail.
    2. Don’t be nasty. That means being personally and deliberately insulting, aggressive or vindictive towards any other member or group.

Remember that this is just the internets. If you're getting angry, walk away for a bit. Whatever it is, it won’t be quite so important after you’ve had your bit.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/49019/thefretboard-rules-v2-0

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    On ignore; dr

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Trying to find this chancer on Reverb but I can't work out how to search by shop. Anyone help me out? 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    @soma1975 lets say the classifieds has a £1 fee per £100 of goods sold. I reckon that still wouldn’t cover the time that Lee has spent on the phone defending the forum against some of the risqué comments written. A lot of us are in the same boat and when it comes to selling gear it’s usually for a reason. But something like 1%... to be fair won’t hurt anyone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I hear what you're saying but if you don't have it you don't have it. And just because you are selling something it doesn't mean THAT money and more isn't already spoken for. Which is why it is maybe more worthwhile using a system like I mentioned for new subscribers who haven't yet made a contribution to the community being able to pay their way into using the classifieds.

On the subject of funding, and I know I have already derailed the thread (and apologise) but I think there should be a sub-forum for people getting rid of guitar tat that doesn't have a ton of value that you can't be bothered 'selling'  like I'm doing with my pedalboard where you'd send it out in exchange for a contribution to the forum. 

Oh, and twice yearly funding drive threads stickied in every sub forum. 

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I'm not getting involved in the classified section debate, but I do like the idea of an "All Proceeds Go To Forum" sales thread.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 662
    Sesh said:
    How easy is it to add watermarks to photos (without fancy software)? I'm not familiar with enough photo software to know, but it might be worth encouraging people to add them, not just in the classifieds. Yes, it would affect the quality of the images we like to drool over, but if it can help prevent this sort of scam it might be worth it.
    Very easy. However this site doesn't host the images themselves (understandably!) so individual sellers would need to do it. 

This would be a good idea, then we would know the pics were lifted from TFB if they appear elsewhere & will be easier to report.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5421
    Fuengi said:
    Trying to find this chancer on Reverb but I can't work out how to search by shop. Anyone help me out? 
    @Fuengi I think you may be baulked by this being something of a necro-bump thread.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    Fuengi said:

Jimbro66 said:
    MtB said:
    Result.!

https://reverb.com/uk/shop/fireguitars

Account disabled. 
    @MTB posted that in Dec 2016. Strangely if you follow the link now it takes you to The Custom Shop Market on Reverb. Is that the present incarnation of Fire Guitars perhaps?
    Take a look at The Custom Shop Market @Fuengi. It might be your man or it might be pure coincidence 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom