Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why don't they paint wind generators sky blue?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72372
    edited December 2016
    ToneControl said:

we have nearly the highest tidal range in the world,  7m I think, up to 15m
    worldwide average is 2m or 3m
    also we lots of coast per person, most countries have little or none
    Even then ,  tide and wave are only  a small amount compared to what we need in the UK
    Yes, but you're not thinking big enough.

The total solar energy falling on the Earth, the heat energy available from the Earth's core and the gravitational energy in the tides all vastly exceed any possible human energy consumption by orders of magnitude. The only problem is working out how to extract them. OK many of the means are currently beyond our technology - or more usually, politics and the will to do anything about it - but so was nuclear power a hundred years ago.

For what it's worth I personally think that fusion power on Earth will never work either. I think it's an expensive and pointless dead-end that is diverting resources and intellect away from developing better ways of harnessing the perfectly good fusion reactor that's working all by itself 93 million miles away.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3463
    Nuclear waste, the facts and what we, or more to the point, the only thing we can do about it.

Its called ''Into Eternity'', and its a must watch. Scary shit.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Renewables are the answer. This year we hit a massive milestone of solar vecoming cheaper than fossil fuels on an industrial scale. Granted it's only in those places where solar is most viable (Middle East, child, etc) but ta a huge step. 

Elon Musk has it right- the answer is efficient solar combined with better storage. Once you have those two things no one will want to have anything else. Why would they?

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Renewables are the answer. This year we hit a massive milestone of solar vecoming cheaper than fossil fuels on an industrial scale. Granted it's only in those places where solar is most viable (Middle East, child, etc) but ta a huge step. 

Elon Musk has it right- the answer is efficient solar combined with better storage. Once you have those two things no one will want to have anything else. Why would they?
    This is it, exactly. Once economics takes over there will be no need for 'climate agreements' or moralising about 'carbon footprints' - cost will drive fossil fuel into the history books.

The people who run the oil economies of the middle east aren't stupid and will be at the forefront, too - they won't want their only source of income to disappear without using some of it to invest in the replacement.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    mart said:

So, one minute it's all water vapour and then the next it's not all water vapour but it is "perfectly safe" and "clean enough" according to some EA standard that has been negotiated with the power companies.
    You do understand that Nitefly and RandallFlag aren't the same person, right?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3463
    We use 230 volts, we dont need 230 volts, its not about producing more energy, its about using less. 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    robgilmo said:
    We use 230 volts, we dont need 230 volts, its not about producing more energy, its about using less. 
    My feed is never lower than 241-247volts. Am I a wastrel?  =)
    robgilmo said:
    We would actually use less if the voltage was higher so the transmission losses were lower and each house had their own stepdown transformer.

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Sporky said:
    Yes.
  • Sporky said:
    mart said:

So, one minute it's all water vapour and then the next it's not all water vapour but it is "perfectly safe" and "clean enough" according to some EA standard that has been negotiated with the power companies.
    And EA standards are not negotiated with the power companies

And knighthoods etc are given out purely on the basis of merit and never croneyism.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    mart said:
    Sporky said:
    Yes.
    So why are you conflating their comments as if they are the same person?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • mart said:
    And knighthoods etc are given out purely on the basis of merit and never croneyism.
    How is that relevant to this discussion?

It is my understanding that UK emissions targets are set by the Climate Change Act 2008

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    mart said:
    Nitefly said:

That stuff in the sky above Drax is just water vapour.  The big structures are cooling towers, to cool the steam which has just driven the turbines that generated the electricity.
    So they manage to burn 9 million tonnes of coal per year and produce only ... water vapour? Wow, that's some impressive technology that manages to clean the output so much.

@mart - Yes, impressive, isn't it?  

The residual stuff from burning the coal is turned into fly-ash (which is used by the construction industry to make concrete blocks) and gypsum(also used by the construction industry to make plasterboard).

There was a very interesting article about Drax in the Railway Magazine, August 2016 issue, if you're interested.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    And EA standards are not negotiated with the power companies
    mart said:
    How is that relevant to this discussion?

It is my understanding that UK emissions targets are set by the Climate Change Act 2008
    The statement about knighthoods is as touchingly naive as the statement that power companies do not influence/dictate emissions standards. Not much in parliament is decided without a lot of lobbying from industry interests.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I think siraxeman need to come and clarify a few points for us 
    Nitefly said:

@mart - Yes, impressive, isn't it?  

The residual stuff from burning the coal is turned into fly-ash (which is used by the construction industry to make concrete blocks) and gypsum(also used by the construction industry to make plasterboard).

There was a very interesting article about Drax in the Railway Magazine, August 2016 issue, if you're interested.

It is commendable that power stations are so much cleaner than they used to be. 

But it doesn't change the original point I made - I would rather live near a windmill than a power station.
    Nitefly said:

What about the carbon dioxide?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    You should give living beside a 'windmill' a try @mart. Say for six months...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Rocker said:
    You should give living beside a 'windmill' a try @mart. Say for six months...
    You still haven't said how near to it you are to be "beside" it or "in its shadow"....