Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why don't they paint wind generators sky blue?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Rocker said:
    TimmyO said:
    I think they are beautiful. Honestly.

You ought to try living in the shadow of one..........
    I live less than a mile from 9 brand new ones, and think they are beautiful things. the pylons next to them however are hideous things.  

Rocker said:
    TimmyO said:
    I think they are beautiful. Honestly.

You ought to try living in the shadow of one..........
    I live less than a mile from 9 brand new ones, and think they are beautiful things. the pylons next to them however are hideous things.  
    Yeah, but it would be a bit of a shame to generate all that power, but then not bother distributing it?   So to that end, pyons are quite important, if you want electricity and shit?
    My toilet is water powered
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72372
    Chalky said:
    Rocker said:
    You should give living beside a 'windmill' a try @mart. Say for six months...
    You still haven't said how near to it you are to be "beside" it or "in its shadow"....
    Be fair - when the sun is low its shadow could be a mile long. In any case, it's less the shadow which is the issue and more the noise, particularly if you're downwind of one. The sound carries a long way.

I don't disagree with those who find them beautiful, but I also don't disagree with Rocker that not everyone wants one (or many) near them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    ICBM said:
    Nitefly said:

The residual stuff from burning the coal is turned into fly-ash (which is used by the construction industry to make concrete blocks) and gypsum(also used by the construction industry to make plasterboard).
    What about the carbon dioxide?
    Good question, and it's not very comforting.  

Apparently Drax was part of a consortium (White Rose CCS) which was planning a Carbon Capture and Storage facility, under the North Sea, but stopped investing in it in September 2015, when the government  removed subsidies for renewable energy (as pointed out earlier, Drax is using 50% renewables for fuel).

In April 2016, White Rose CCS began to wind itself down, because the then Energy Secretary (was that Amber Rudd?) refused them permission to build the generating station: http://www.whiteroseccs.co.uk/

The government giveth, and the government taketh away!

So I guess the answer to your question is "The same as everyone else!".
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited January 2017
    mart said:
    Nitefly said:

@mart - Yes, impressive, isn't it?  

The residual stuff from burning the coal is turned into fly-ash (which is used by the construction industry to make concrete blocks) and gypsum(also used by the construction industry to make plasterboard).

There was a very interesting article about Drax in the Railway Magazine, August 2016 issue, if you're interested.

It is commendable that power stations are so much cleaner than they used to be. 

But it doesn't change the original point I made - I would rather live near a windmill than a power station.
    You should come visit our CCGT and Wind Farm projects, I can show you round. I know which I would prefer to live near but each to their own.

• martmart Frets: 5205
    ... each to their own.
    Now that is a sentiment that we can agree on :)

And thanks for the offer of a guided tour, I would definitely take you up on that if life weren't so busy. Besides, I'm a long way west of Eden, so travel might be a problem too. ;)