2017 Injury club.

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Ran 47km last week, that's my most in a week for about 20 years! I'm trying to up my distance and improve my endurance, but my speed is suffering. Long term goal this year is to do the local 5k parkrun in under 22 mins, but I'm in no rush to do it as I'm not great in hot weather.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    Ran 47km last week, that's my most in a week for about 20 years! I'm trying to up my distance and improve my endurance, but my speed is suffering. Long term goal this year is to do the local 5k parkrun in under 22 mins, but I'm in no rush to do it as I'm not great in hot weather.
    In my experience: Your speed WILL suffer if you're running further, but when you go back to the shorter distances (and provided you rest enough) it'll feel easier- you can push harder and thus you SHOULD be quicker. 

My 5k PB has dropped considerably this year (from 26 to under 23) the only change in my training is that I've been running longer distances with greater regularity.

Maybe try playing "the lamp post game" (fartlek? Or Intervals?) I run at my usual pace for 1k as a warm up then for the remainder of my run I sprint from one lamp post to the next, return to normal past 1 then sprint again at the next one so it's a 25m sprint every 75m. I do this for 5k once a week. It's a great work out. 

Run normal for 1k, then... LampPost1->SPRINT!! -> LP2 -> (Normal)-> LP4 -> SPRINT!! -> LP5 -> Normal -> LP7

Maybe try playing "the lamp post game" (fartlek? Or Intervals?) I run at my usual pace for 1k as a warm up then for the remainder of my run I sprint from one lamp post to the next, return to normal past 1 then sprint again at the next one so it's a 25m sprint every 75m. I do this for 5k once a week. It's a great work out. 

Run normal for 1k, then... LampPost1->SPRINT!! -> LP2 -> (Normal)-> LP4 -> SPRINT!! -> LP5 -> Normal -> LP7
    Yes, I worked that hard when I was younger!

When I was younger ......
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33800
    edited June 2017
    June 19th: 676km + 6km = 680km

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    7 even sweatier and even slower miles along the canal. The heron hadn't caught anything, but was completely still so was obviously in fisherman mode. I'm surprised there's anything to catch in the canal - it's disused and each continuous stretch must be only half a mile long.

A small rodent scurried across my path, and I also saw some very cute ducklings.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    Getting slower! Third day on the trot running 7 miles, rest day tomorrow I think. The heron managed to catch one of those eel-or-slowworm thingies again.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    I'm useless at remembering to post in here, but I've run about 20km in the last 7 days..takes my YTD tally up to 47km-ish...pretty pitiful, but should be running a bit more regularly now (for the next month until the london tri at least!) 

Went last night and smashed my previous best 5km by over 3 mins and was sub 25 mins, which I was super happy about, especially considering the heat. 
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    5.7 miles Sunday,  5.3 Monday, 4.5 this evening.  Plus 3 gym sessions since Saturday. Legs felt strong this evening. Starting to feel recovered. 
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited June 2017
    Went for a run this morning and and there were two women walking along the path with three small dogs. They were taking the whole path, so I went around them on the grass, and as I did two of the dogs went for me. They didn't bite, just yapped and went for my ankles, so I had to stop until they got them under control. The women didn't say anything. I know it isn't their fault, I know it isn't the dogs fault, but I would have apologised if that was me. It doesn't cost anything. Hell, I apologise if my dog even barks at someone.

Just annoyed me a little...
    "Funniest" one for me was when I ran past a JRT which was off-lead and the bloody thing started yapping at my ankles.

"Oh", said the owner. "he doesn't usually do that".

Really? I thought. What does he do, herd sheep?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    7 miles along the canal. A grey heron let me get within a couple of feet, nice looking bird.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17632
    tFB Trader
    7 miles along the canal. A grey heron let me get within a couple of feet, nice looking bird.
    I'm worried you are becoming a heron addict.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wahey!!!!
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    quarky said:
    Went for a run this morning and and there were two women walking along the path with three small dogs. They were taking the whole path, so I went around them on the grass, and as I did two of the dogs went for me. They didn't bite, just yapped and went for my ankles, so I had to stop until they got them under control. The women didn't say anything. I know it isn't their fault, I know it isn't the dogs fault, but I would have apologised if that was me. It doesn't cost anything. Hell, I apologise if my dog even barks at someone.

Just annoyed me a little...
    As a dog owner, this is pretty fucking shit behaviour from them and I apologise on their behalf. Clearly got no control over their dogs, and sounds like they have no desire to have any control - so really shouldn't own a fucking dog, let alone 3 between them! 

Nothing pisses me off more than pricks who own dogs and can't be bothered to take the time out to train them properly. And it's usually (but not always) the cunts that buy smaller dogs, because they think "oh they're small, it doesn't matter". Well it fucking does....My friend, who runs a dog walking business, had a group of the dogs she was walking terrorised by an untrained Jack Russell last week...this caused one of the dogs to run off, and unfortunately the dog ran off and ended up running into a road and got hit by a car and killed (where she was walking was nowhere near a road, but the Jack Russell terrorised this dog so much, it ran off a long way). She's obviously beside herself with guilt (even though she isn't to blame), and can't imagine what the owners must be going through. 

She'd been walking that dog off the lead in those same fields for over a year with ZERO problems.  But all it takes is one irresponsible owner to cause massive grief to 2 different families....and surprise surprise, no apology from the dick owner. 

If you can't train your dog, don't fucking get one. My dog isn't a saint all the time by any means (what dog isn't), but she knows right from wrong with people and other dogs. 

Sorry, rant over. 

Anyway, I did 5km with the hound this morning. Was nice that it was a bit cooler! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • C25K week 5 day 3 done.   Ok managed to keep pumping my beefy drummers going for the prescribed 20 minutes.  I must admit that thinking about doing it was a lot worse than actually doing it. 

I don't think I'm fast enough yet, but I'm a lot faster than I was six weeks ago and I feel better for it.  
    tFB Trader
    C25K week 5 day 3 done.   Ok managed to keep pumping my beefy drummers going for the prescribed 20 minutes.  I must admit that thinking about doing it was a lot worse than actually doing it. 

I don't think I'm fast enough yet, but I'm a lot faster than I was six weeks ago and I feel better for it.  

Awesome, well done Chris!

That's 2/3 of the way there and I think probably the hardest transition in the whole process. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited June 2017
    If I'm ⅔ of the way there, that means that I can't go back: it's closer to the finish line!!! 

:P 
  • 575 +22= 597k. If only I'd stayed out for 3 more kilometres!
    tFB Trader
    10k today.

Paced it a bit too slow and ended up doing 62 mins when I was trying to crack the hour. Annoying as I had plenty in the tank at the end. Still I shouldn't get too down as it's only the third time I've ever done a 10k.

Total for the year now 235k 
    Pretty pleased today, did 21km early. Kept the average pace at 5.22 even though it included around 250ft of climbing. Felt very good up to about 18, then hung on a tad. Definitely stronger than I've been in a long time, I haven't run that far in well over 2 decades.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom