2017 Injury club.

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    June 8th: 663km + 5km = 668km
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    7 miles along the canal. I nearly bailed as my alarm clock woke me at 2.30 for some reason, but I started following the election results and didn't get back to sleep.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • C25K week 3 complete. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I did the local Parkrun today, so around 4.5 miles of running in total. I made sure I was blowing almost from the start, and managed to take 40 seconds off my PB for 22:35.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @fields5069 nice one.  I'm looking forward to the days when I'm putting up such posts. 
    @fields5069 nice one.  I'm looking forward to the days when I'm putting up such posts. 
    Cheers! It will come sooner than you think! Consistency is the key in training. No point doing what a mate did, and running the entire Parkrun, if you're laid up for a week with sore legs.
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1680
    319+5 (Thursday) +7 (today) = 331k
  • 5.2k in 22.10.  
    No time for a "proper" run today- things to do, people to see etc so I tried to blast a 5k as quick as I could instead of doing my normal route 10k at a steady pace.
    Pretty knackered at the end, but felt good to run hard rather than to chase the mileage as I have been. 

547+5(.2) = 552. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17625
    tFB Trader
    Found a new route around town and did 11k this morning which is my longest ever run.

I then had a whole day of taking my kids around a fun day and my fitbit says I've walked 22,000 steps today. I'm now in bed with a cup of tea :)

195k for the year now.
    June 11th: 668km + 8km = 674km
  • Cripes!  I've just done C25K Week 4 Session 1.  I've been told that a lot of people bail out at week 4 and I think I understand why: it takes a shift from an equal run and walk time, to more running than walking.

I completed it, but I really had to kick my arse to get it done.  One of the main things that keeps me going is the success that the rest of you guys are having: at one point I felt a bit ashamed  for whining at myself as you guys have done so much more. 

TL:DR - I'll get there but it's going to take attitude.
    7 miles along the canal this morning.
    tFB Trader
    Cripes!  I've just done C25K Week 4 Session 1.  I've been told that a lot of people bail out at week 4 and I think I understand why: it takes a shift from an equal run and walk time, to more running than walking.

I completed it, but I really had to kick my arse to get it done.  One of the main things that keeps me going is the success that the rest of you guys are having: at one point I felt a bit ashamed  for whining at myself as you guys have done so much more. 

Don't be afraid to repeat a week if you need to. 

I don't think the schedule of C25K is perfect. 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1773
    12th June: 35 + 4 = 39miles
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    Cripes!  I've just done C25K Week 4 Session 1.  I've been told that a lot of people bail out at week 4 and I think I understand why: it takes a shift from an equal run and walk time, to more running than walking.

As Mon says, don't be afraid to repeat.

Running is part mind over matter but also part pure fitness.
    There will be times where you have to grit your teeth to get through it, other times you will be able to just rely on fitness, which is something you are building now.

The good thing about building fitness is it is easier to maintain than it is to improve.
    So you are doing the hard stuff now but it will get easier.
    Also, once you lose the weight require less work to maintain a healthy weight than it did to lose the weight.
    Keep going.
  • @monquixote and @octatonic , thank you again for your wisdom and encouragement. 

Maybe we need a health and fitness sub-forum?  Lol
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    Has anyone hit the wall before?

I don't run (knackers my knees), but I went for a 60 mile cycle today (out to a big local climb and back), it was a headway most of the way down, my legs didn't feel great to begin with, and I bonked horrendously on the way back at about 45 miles.
    I'd been making decent pace (average 18mph despite the headwind), but had to stop for 25 minutes (could barely turn an easy gear and brain wasn't working so would have likely crashed had I tried to continue), and it took me an hour and a half to do the remaining 15 miles, even with a tailwind for half of it!

Most unpleasant thing I've done in a while.
    Fortunately I had a little food left over to get me home.

I'm not sure how it happened, I can usually manage 75-85 miles on the same calorie intake. Glycogen levels must have been low from too much beer at the weekend.. (I'm led to believe it inhibits fat use as an energy source as well)
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    strtdv said:
    Has anyone hit the wall before?

All the time.
    My solution is to slow down slightly, grit my teeth and keep going.
    tFB Trader
    New pb for 5k at 27:51 :)

Feels good to be under 28 minutes.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    Reading up on it a little is seems it's more likely if you pace yourself poorly and go too fast, which favours carbohydrate metabolism over fat metabolism. 
    Sounds exactly like what happened.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!