Greatest guitar outro's ... But no Layla ok !

What's Hot

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Of course Jimi's version of All Along the Watchtower is a work of godlike genius, but I think there's a lot to be said for Shawn Lane's version too... 2:40 onwards. Simply staggering - it's far from just detached, soulless wankery, it has an energy to it that is comparable to a dog being let off the leash. And the unaccompanied outro sounds like the end of Prince's "Let's Go Crazy" had the little chap been possessed by the devil.

And speaking of which, his relatively restrained instrumental Gray Pianos Flying has a section at the end where he blitzes up the neck at warp speed before stopping on a dime. 2:50:

Shawn really was a loss. RIP.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    Pink Floyd - High Hopes from Pulse.

But I agree Time by Satch is well up there. When it comes in it's so damn good - he is a master of the wah.....and everything else!

Thanks for the thread, so many great tunes to check out and also reminded me what a huge inspiration Satriani has been even though I've moved away from that type of music. 

And yes Crystal Planet is a cracking album. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    A lot of good ones mentioned so far. I'm sure it will fall into the cheesy and LOL category but I was quite frustrated as a kid that the outro to Sultans of Swing wasn't at least two minutes longer. It just feels like it's about to get a second wind and then fades.
  • Voxman said:
    Probably still one of my fav guitar solos (beautifully crafted) and outro's of all time is by Tony Peluso who played guitar on The Carpenters 'Goodbye to Love'.  It may be an oldie (1972) but it still evokes such a strong emotional response in me even 45 yrs on & I still think its pure class and hard to beat.  And as for Karen's truly beautiful voice & wonderful clear diction, what a sad, sad loss - taken from us way before her time. 

Voxman, anything from Karen Carpenter just has an amazingly special quality to it. Her voice brings up very strong emotions in me too.  I Can Dream Can't I is one you don't hear so much but has personal significance for me and is incredibly beautiful. 
    The guitar solo in Goodbye to Love is indeed beautiful. 
  • Summer Breeze Ernie Isley all day long.....
  • jimmydjimmyd Frets: 60
    How about the ending to Instant Street by dEUS? I love the way this big crashing riff comes steaming in after the rest ofcthe tune is so mellow...

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    The one I love - R.E.M. 
  • shaunm said:
    The one I love - R.E.M. 
    Does that have an outro? Thought it just finished on the D Eb E. 
  • No Layla, but has anyone mentioned Let It Grow?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • No Layla, but has anyone mentioned Let It Grow?
    Nice choice  B)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Has anyone ever noticed a similarity to the chord progression behind that outro and the intro to Stairway?

Just me then, eh? ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmann said:
    Has anyone ever noticed a similarity to the chord progression behind that outro and the intro to Stairway?

Just me then, eh? ;-)

I think Clapton's spoken about it himself. Apparently Bach has got the right arseache!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676
    The outro to Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • darrenpdarrenp Frets: 116

Not particularly well known, but I've always liked the outro from Strangers by Misha Calvin.

Nice melodic playing and a bit different for being on an acoustic.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    I held off responding to this because were banned from mentioning the greatest ever ;), but if it's not that...

Lloyd Cole & The Commotions (Neil Clark on guitar) - Forest Fire.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676
    Not a guitar one but an honourable mention has to go to the mandolin outro of Maggie May.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ICBM said:
    I held off responding to this because were banned from mentioning the greatest ever ;), but if it's not that...

Actually that's a brilliant choice - recently listened to Rattlesnakes for the first time in years - I love that song.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    HAL9000 said:
    The outro to Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights.
    Good call...
  • Much as I'm not a fan of Metallica, I'm rather partial to the outro to "Outlaw Torn" ...

I really rather like the ending to Andy Timmons' "Cry For You" (which probably has nothing to do with it being one of my favourite tracks) ...
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14266
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

Actually that's a brilliant choice - recently listened to Rattlesnakes for the first time in years - I love that song.
    My wife saw him a couple of years ago in Buxton - unplugged gig and solo - so less Commotion
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom