Brands that succeed despite being shite...

What's Hot

Comments

• dano said:
    The Fretboard.  A load of middle aged lefty blokes all talking about guitars without any actual playing.

You've never been in the Brexit threads... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited February 2017
    dano said:
    The Fretboard.  A load of middle aged lefty blokes all talking about guitars....
    Most are right-handed surely.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited February 2017
    Philly_Q said:

Not so much a brand as a product:

Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney Pies.  The ones in tins.

I was always fascinated by them but never actually tried one until a few years ago.  What the fuck?  A shallow metal dish of soggy offally mush.  They are vile.  I can't imagine how anyone could actually like them.

I was going to say Fray Bentos, filth! I once witnessed a mate trying to eat one. He managed one mouthful then offered it to his dog, which toook one sniff and walked off. You can sample Fray Bentos for free by just taking a shit in your oven and leaving on 200 degress for 30 min.

Deadman said:
    This might be a bit controversial, but Marks and Spencer. Their food is expensive and tasteless. And as for their clothes, I wouldn't be seen dead in any of it.

No, totally bang on there. Overpriced, heavily processed and packaged supermarket food.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Marmite  :s
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Richmond sausages I agree with that. Once you've had a decent quality sausage you can't go back. 
    My ex used to love Richmond's and when I was frying them they smelled exactly the same as tripe. Used to make my stomach turn.
    Again i think Apple is overhyped.

Sad to say but i think Doc Martin's are overrated. They used to make some quality shoes. I grew up wearing docs. But the last few pairs I've bought. The soles have come off and the quality seems to have dropped. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    Subway is a steaming pile of cack. Starbucks is utter shite... how they muddle through and succeed when there's also Costa, Pret a Manger or Nero, I can't fathom. Finally, with all the due respect, you have to be stone mental to keep going to McDonalds: chances are you'll balloon up in no time at all, get the runs but remain starving... it's a proper place to have a wazz though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    Hmmm… interestingly enough, as well as Sony which I nominated I also own all of the following:

Apple - phone and computers
    Dyson - about 10 years old now
    B&O - 1980s - haven't tried anything more recent
    Gibson - 2 acoustics
    Marshall - er… TSL!
    Microsoft Office - 2011 version on DVD
    French cars - Renault and previously Citröen

- and I like all of them, except possibly for the Marshall. They all seem fairly well-designed, well-made, reliable and do what they're supposed to do well. I would admit that the first three do have a certain 'trendy design over value for money' aspect.

Wasn't very impressed with my Vans shoes, the soles wore through very quickly and now they leak when I walk anywhere wet. But they're very comfy, and I may yet buy some more.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I quite like all the stuff I've had from VW, Apple, and Bose. And those Dyson dryers are excellent if you use them properly. Budweiser is one of the few beers I enjoyed drinking before I had to stop gluten.

As for MS Office, it's really not that bad, most people just have no idea how to work it so do things wrong and then blame the machine (i'm looking at you, all who complain about images moving around without changing the text wrapping options...). If you *really* want trouble, you should try the Mac version of Office 2013. Almost all the functionality is there from the windows version, but everything is in a slightly different place so it is literally hell on earth trying to get anything done. 2016 is thankfully much better.

And Nando's is excellent. Some of you lot are odd.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I like Marshalls.
    There I said it.

As for Sony, I have a 26YO Sony Stereo which is still working without fault. Ok a couple of push button have broken off (tape deck) but the unit is working fine.

Richmond sausages are the only brand I can eat without making myself sick (don't contain stuff I can't eat).

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Richmond sausages seem to be made with some sort of anaemic offal paste,but my son loves them.
    My other son will only eat Marks and spencers sausages. You see, they arent just ordinary sausages...they are, thick, meaty, wholesome, tasty M&S sausages. Mmm. Sausage. Mmmm
  • Dyson are only my 2nd most hated vacuum brand, my upmost hatred and revulsion is reserved for that G-Tech AirRam fucker........

i would dearly love to slap him. 

Although James Dyson and his 'digital motors' is a close 2nd. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    Gassage said:
    Audi.

Why any sane person would buy a £40k exec car with front wheel drive beggars belief.
    Having watched a few other branded cars with rear wheel drives several times in the snow and laughed, I'd suggest that might count in their favour?

Yes, on that 2.7% of days in the year on average when snow falls.

The rest of the time, it's an horrendous and competely daft arrangement.

Try driving a front wheel drive car with over 150BHP through the front wheels....power and direction should not go through the same axle. (unless 4WD of course- and yes, I'd buy an Audi Quattro but no way a front wheel drive version)

Or better still, drive an A6 then a BMW 5 series....no competition.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Danny1969 said:
    Beats headphones springs to mind...
     they are all boomy 70hz bass and no clarity at all.  
    That's kind of what they are for, the  clue is in the name :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    Gassage said:
    Gassage said:
    Audi.

Why any sane person would buy a £40k exec car with front wheel drive beggars belief.
    Having watched a few other branded cars with rear wheel drives several times in the snow and laughed, I'd suggest that might count in their favour?

It makes no difference if you don't drive a car in a way that makes the difference matter - which the vast majority of us don't, the vast majority of the time. Or usually all of the time.

FWD - no difference, except better than RWD in snow.
    4WD - best in snow.

Thus there is no point in RWD at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Sony.

Overpriced and with a noticeable tendency to die just after the warranty runs out, in my experience. Not totally shite, but no better than any other mid-market Japanese brand and not worthy of the higher rating they seem to get.
    Not sure they are succeeding particularly well these days

Erm you have heard of the Playstation right? 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    ICBM said:
    Sony.

Overpriced and with a noticeable tendency to die just after the warranty runs out, in my experience. Not totally shite, but no better than any other mid-market Japanese brand and not worthy of the higher rating they seem to get.
    Not sure they are succeeding particularly well these days

Erm you have heard of the Playstation right? 
    And it's worth looking at how many mobile phones use Sony cameras 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    Pepper can slate new Marshall all they want but no one on this forum has an amp they could tempt me to swap for mine.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited February 2017
    ICBM said:
    Gassage said:
    Gassage said:
    Audi.

It makes no difference if you don't drive a car in a way that makes the difference matter - which the vast majority of us don't, the vast majority of the time. Or usually all of the time.

FWD - no difference, except better than RWD in snow.
    4WD - best in snow.

Thus there is no point in RWD at all.
    I agree, if you don't care about performance then buy a car that has the right amount of seats and carry the things you need in a colour you like.
    Petrolheads care about these things though and FWD cars are a joyless thing for us.
    4WD isn't terrible but you feel like you are rails, which isn't as entertaining as RWD.

I don't care about performance in the snow- it has affected me exactly twice in 15 years of living in the U.K.

RWD is simply more fun.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22911
    edited February 2017
    Reverend said:
    Pepper can slate new Marshall all they want but no one on this forum has an amp they could tempt me to swap for mine.
    @Reverend  Are you sure about that?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom