Brands that succeed despite being shite...

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    Reverend said:
    Pepper can slate new Marshall all they want but no one on this forum has an amp they could tempt me to swap for mine.
    Marshall TSL122?

Comes with a 30-minute warranty!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4699
    Bang & Olufsen springs to mind.  Overpriced bling.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    ICBM said:
    Gassage said:
    Gassage said:
    Audi.

Why any sane person would buy a £40k exec car with front wheel drive beggars belief.
    Having watched a few other branded cars with rear wheel drives several times in the snow and laughed, I'd suggest that might count in their favour?
    Yes, on that 2.7% of days in the year on average when snow falls.

The rest of the time, it's an horrendous and competely daft arrangement.
    It makes no difference if you don't drive a car in a way that makes the difference matter - which the vast majority of us don't, the vast majority of the time. Or usually all of the time.

FWD - no difference, except better than RWD in snow.
    4WD - best in snow.

Thus there is no point in RWD at all.
    Sorry you are just wrong. Like really wrong.

Example: Roundabout junction in wet, with ruts on road. Accelerate and you'll be torque steering like a dingy in the ocean. Horrible.

Second, lose a front wheel drive car and you've lost it totally. Rear wheel, add power, and let the car come back to stability.

Third; comfort and refinement- in a different league. Balance is 50/50 whereas a Fr WD will be c. 75/25. Drive a Fr W D car down the motorways of Belgium at a reasonable pace and you'll be exhusted from the wheel chattering hither and thither- RWD, you won't even notice it.

Fourthy, solidity. Curb a front wheel drive car hard and you've stuffed a drive shaft- big job. Do it in a RWD car and you'll have a 40 quid tracking bill

No Audi sport models have front wheel drive cos it's shite- they're all Quattros.

If you don't believe me do this- grab a dumbell woith two 10kg plates on it take one weight off it and replace with a 2.5KG weight. Hold in hand and twist it quickly- you'll virtually break your arm when the heavier plate is on the outside of your twist. Put the 10KG weight back on and repeat. Much easier.

Now, I do agree Fr WD is better in snow, but in the last ten years the UK has had precisely 27 days of snow.

I have no issue with Fr W D in a mini or a compact hatch, but my point re Audi is how they have the brassneck to charge the same for a similar LUXURY car that would be RWD from Merc or BMW, when Fr W Drive costs a fraction of the cost to produce and provides a significantly poorer driving experience in normal conditions.

Je repose ma valise.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    ICBM said:
    Gassage said:
    Gassage said:
    Audi.

Why any sane person would buy a £40k exec car with front wheel drive beggars belief.
    Having watched a few other branded cars with rear wheel drives several times in the snow and laughed, I'd suggest that might count in their favour?

It makes no difference if you don't drive a car in a way that makes the difference matter - which the vast majority of us don't, the vast majority of the time. Or usually all of the time.

4WD - best in snow.

Example: Roundabout junction in wet, with ruts on road. Accelerate and you'll be torque steering like a dingy in the ocean. Horrible.

Second, lose a front wheel drive car and you've lost it totally. Rear wheel, add power, and let the car come back to stability.

Third; comfort and refinement- in a different league. Balance is 50/50 whereas a Fr WD will be c. 75/25. Drive a Fr W D car down the motorways of Belgium at a reasonable pace and you'll be exhusted from the wheel chattering hither and thither- RWD, you won't even notice it.

Fourthy, solidity. Curb a front wheel drive car hard and you've stuffed a drive shaft- big job. Do it in a RWD car and you'll have a 40 quid tracking bill

No Audi sport models have front wheel drive cos it's shite- they're all Quattros.

If you don't believe me do this- grab a dumbell woith two 10kg plates on it take one weight off it and replace with a 2.5KG weight. Hold in hand and twist it quickly- you'll virtually break your arm when the heavier plate is on the outside of your twist. Put the 10KG weight back on and repeat. Much easier.

Now, I do agree Fr WD is better in snow, but in the last ten years the UK has had precisely 27 days of snow.

I have no issue with Fr W D in a mini or a compact hatch, but my point re Audi is how they have the brassneck to charge the same for a similar LUXURY car that would be RWD from Merc or BMW, when Fr W Drive costs a fraction of the cost to produce and provides a significantly poorer driving experience in normal conditions.

Je repose ma valise.

But assuming you *don't* drive like a bellend, you will never notice the difference?  Roundabout junction in wet = accelerate gently?  Lose a front wheel drive car?  Why...you were driving too fast or not paying attention then. Comfort and refinement? I'd marginally agree but the difference is so miniscule as to be barely worthy of mention.  Curbing wheels?  What about not driving into curbs - I'm no Daniel Ricciardo but I've not curbed a wheel yet.

All of this being said and with all of these points taken into consideration, Pink Floyd are awesome and David Gilmour is god, so it's all good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    edited February 2017
    I drive a 4WD cos I like big monstrous cars. For something more "normal" I'd have RWD every time, its (for me) more comfortable and just feels a better drive, more balanced responsive etc.

the snow argument is a load of crap unless you live in the country high up. But then if you live in such a place, you are probably related to all your neighbours and do weird things when the moon is full as well.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBump said:
    Dyson, unreliable, heavy, gimmick based products, if their design dept was as good as their marketing dept, they would be world beating. 

This.

The old Dysons were great, the new ones are less good, but still work well. We have a DC08 that is almost 20 years old and it still works perfectly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7424
    hywelg said:
    Doom Bar......

You are dead to me @hywelg !
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    crunchman said:

Various London restaurant chains.  Bill's is probably the worst.

You're possibly spoilt living in Surrey, Bill's is great. And I've been to the Guildford and Reigate branches. 

Apart from not living in Surrey, Bill's is rubbish.

Some of my gripes about Bill's may just be the Chiswick branch, maybe the other branches have seats that are comfortable and don't wobble when you sit on them.  That's not a good starting point when you go in there and the first thing you do is sit on an uncomfortable wobbly chair.

You then get a drink.  They tell you that the "Bill's Beer" is English style beer so you get that.  It comes so cold you would think it's been stored in Antarctica, and a with a glass that has been stored in the freezer.  Gah!

Then when you get the food it gets worse.  They can't just put it on the plate.  You get some kind of branded greaseproof paper on the plate (at least with a burger).  Every thing comes in it's own container.  The skinny chips (yuk) come in their own container, the overpriced puny portion of guacamole that you pay extra for comes in another container.  If I order burger and chips with guacamole just put it on a plate.  Don't kill the food (and the environment) by putting extra branded greaseproof paper and giving me loads of extra containers.

The service in there hasn't been great either.  I'm also sure that I've ordered a dessert from the menu that I like the look of and been told that they don't have it.

To me, Bill's is the epitome of the branded chain restaurant and all the bad things that go with that.  Just let me get decent food on one plate, without all the pretentious rubbish, and a decent beer (preferably on draught) to drink with it.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7424
    Slinky strings
    Red ones are better. 
  • Also I haven't tried many B&O Products, but they look good and are reliable.

I've had their H3 headphones for almost 4 years now and they have lasted longer than any other in ear headphones I have had in the past, including Shure SE215s, RHA MA750is and Klipsch X10s. 
    Gassage said:
    ICBM said:
    Gassage said:
    Gassage said:
    Audi.

4WD - best in snow.

Je repose ma valise.

But assuming you *don't* drive like a bellend, you will never notice the difference?  Roundabout junction in wet = accelerate gently?  Lose a front wheel drive car?  Why...you were driving too fast or not paying attention then. Comfort and refinement? I'd marginally agree but the difference is so miniscule as to be barely worthy of mention.  Curbing wheels?  What about not driving into curbs - I'm no Daniel Ricciardo but I've not curbed a wheel yet.

All of this being said and with all of these points taken into consideration, Pink Floyd are awesome and David Gilmour is god, so it's all good.
    OK,

Would you buy a Marshall Valvestate for the same retail price as a valve amp?

That's putting it very simply and that's what Audi are asking.

• Gassage said:

Yet another fabulous reason not to buy an Audi ;)
    I have a ridiculous list of 'deal killers' for cars.

Sunroof- essential
    Fixed Nav- essential
    Tinted glass: hideous- deal killer
    FrWD: deal killer
    Cloth seats: deal killer
    Red: deal killer
    Manual on a diesel: deal killer
    Auto on Petrol; deal killer.

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited February 2017
    Apple.

Overpriced, style over substance, with a fucking useless, horrible "walled garden" approach to connectivity that makes everything needlessly difficult unless you do everything Apple's way and buy all their other products as well.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    Gassage said:

OK,

There are benefits from front wheel drive.

You get more space inside from not having to have a raised bit for the driveshaft.

You save a significant amount of weight through not needing a drive shaft and a rear diff, which will improve economy.  Even on a bigger car that's important for a lot of people.

I understand what you are saying, but for most people, in normal driving situations it's irrelevant.

I don't think the Valvestate analogy works.  At this price point you would be comparing different styles of valve amp.  It's more like whether you have a practical 1 x 12 combo (e.g. Hot Rod Deluxe), or some beast like a DR103.  Yes, in the right circumstances the DR103 will kill the the HRD but if you go to a gig at the Dog and Duck you are far more likely to see a Hot Rod Deluxe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4699
    edited February 2017
    Also I haven't tried many B&O Products, but they look good and are reliable.

I've had their H3 headphones for almost 4 years now and they have lasted longer than any other in ear headphones I have had in the past, including Shure SE215s, RHA MA750is and Klipsch X10s. 
    Reliable, more than likely, but overpriced, overstyled bling in many cases.

http://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat/bang-olufsen/

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Gassage said:

lose a front wheel drive car and you've lost it totally.
    Not true - watch the touring cars. You can recover oversteer fairly easily in a FWD car by turning into the slide and applying throttle.

RWD is more fun and give you more options, but only at and around the limit, which most of the time you don't want to do on the public road.

Sadly, best thing on the road is probably the safest = 4WD

PS B&O stereos in Audi's are actually quite good (in attempt to get back on topic) - but their home stuff is overpriced junk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:
    Gassage said:

OK,

There are benefits from front wheel drive.

You get more space inside from not having to have a raised bit for the driveshaft.

You save a significant amount of weight through not needing a drive shaft and a rear diff, which will improve economy.  Even on a bigger car that's important for a lot of people.

I understand what you are saying, but for most people, in normal driving situations it's irrelevant.

I don't think the Valvestate analogy works.  At this price point you would be comparing different styles of valve amp.  It's more like whether you have a practical 1 x 12 combo (e.g. Hot Rod Deluxe), or some beast like a DR103.  Yes, in the right circumstances the DR103 will kill the the HRD but if you go to a gig at the Dog and Duck you are far more likely to see a Hot Rod Deluxe.
    I am a purist.

And, given the chance, RWD with rear engine is the most wonderful (dry) driving experience ever.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    'The Tone King' on Youtube - who in the hell follows that moron...?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>