Custom Shop Fenders

What's Hot

Comments

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Agreed - completely
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    I've played many Custom Shop Fenders, and it's very rare to find one that's any less than good. Some are great, among the very best guitars I've ever played and better than all but a few vintage ones. It's true that the old ones do have a certain unique vibe to them, but they very often have issues too - getting one that's right in all respects is hard, and getting one for even close to the price of a CS is near enough impossible, even for 'player grade' ones.

On the other had I've never played a single Suhr, Anderson or any other posh copy of a Fender that I've really liked, and most simply leave me completely cold. The only one that came close was an old 80s Schecter Dream Machine that I owned briefly, which sounded fantastic but was overbuilt and too heavy. All the rest have been just bland and boring in my opinion.

That's all really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    ICBM said:
    I've played many Custom Shop Fenders, and it's very rare to find one that's any less than good. Some are great, among the very best guitars I've ever played and better than all but a few vintage ones. It's true that the old ones do have a certain unique vibe to them, but they very often have issues too - getting one that's right in all respects is hard, and getting one for even close to the price of a CS is near enough impossible, even for 'player grade' ones.

On the other had I've never played a single Suhr, Anderson or any other posh copy of a Fender that I've really liked, and most simply leave me completely cold. The only one that came close was an old 80s Schecter Dream Machine that I owned briefly, which sounded fantastic but was overbuilt and too heavy. All the rest have been just bland and boring in my opinion.

That's all really.
    See, I played a couple of Suhrs in a studio we used for the last recording - a tele and a strat. Internet wisdom had me expecting great things, but I too found them to be utterly generic and mundane. "Fine" was the best way I could describe them. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited March 2017
    ICBM said:

That's all really.
    See, I played a couple of Suhrs in a studio we used for the last recording - a tele and a strat. Internet wisdom had me expecting great things, but I too found them to be utterly generic and mundane. "Fine" was the best way I could describe them. 
    How were they set up?

I've found some high end guitars are sometimes set up too well, with too low of an action which can be to the detriment of the tone.  

However I also think you can overbuild a guitar.  My own Fender sounds best with the stock parts, I tried Callaham saddles and block for a while but went back to the originals.
  • winstonywinstony Frets: 29
    HAVING JUST BOUGHT A CUSTOM SHOP FENDER MIKE LANDAU 63 ,IT IS THE BEST FENDER BY FAR THAT I HAVE PLAYED , ITS LIGHT AND RINGS FANTASTIC AND PLAYS LIKE BUTTER . AND I HAVE HAD SUHR,S AND TYLERS WHICH ARE GREAT .THIS ONE I HAVE NOW IS IN A DIFFERENT CLASS , ONLY THING WHICH IS WRONG , YOU NEED BIG STRINGS ON THEM 9s ARE RUBBISH ! THANKS FENDER.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    winstony said:
    HAVING JUST BOUGHT A CUSTOM SHOP FENDER MIKE LANDAU 63 ,IT IS THE BEST FENDER BY FAR THAT I HAVE PLAYED , ITS LIGHT AND RINGS FANTASTIC AND PLAYS LIKE BUTTER . AND I HAVE HAD SUHR,S AND TYLERS WHICH ARE GREAT .THIS ONE I HAVE NOW IS IN A DIFFERENT CLASS , ONLY THING WHICH IS WRONG , YOU NEED BIG STRINGS ON THEM 9s ARE RUBBISH ! THANKS FENDER.
    A capital contribution to the debate....
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    edited March 2017
    Caps, dude!
    ICBM said:

That's all really.
    How were they set up?

I've found some high end guitars are sometimes set up too well, with too low of an action which can be to the detriment of the tone.  

However I also think you can overbuild a guitar.  My own Fender sounds best with the stock parts, I tried Callaham saddles and block for a while but went back to the originals.
    Again, just unremarkably. They were ok to play. Pleasant enough. Satisfactory. Beige. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    Beige is a very demeaning word these days.

The funny thing is that if we see it on a car it's beige and it's boring.  If we see it on a Tele it's called Butterscotch and it's lovely!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Ive got two of them and a/b with the US standards and strat pluses some mates have they appear better put together, lighter, and came with much nicer pickups and set ups.

That said the pink Telecaster is a much more vibrant and amazing sounding guitar. The only Tele I have played that was as good was a 50s body and a custom shop neck. (and it was much harder to play). 

Neither are relics mind you. I´m quite capable of damaging them myself.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22859
    crunchman said:
    Beige is a very demeaning word these days.

The funny thing is that if we see it on a car it's beige and it's boring.  If we see it on a Tele it's called Butterscotch and it's lovely!
    I dunno... wouldn't beige be more White Blonde or maybe Desert Sand?
    Conceptually beige, more than literally. Desert sand is lovely. 
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    winstony said:
    A capital contribution to the debate....
    A bit shouty but the CS Mike Landau '63's that I've played have all been amazing.  Definitely a guitar I would love to own. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    thebreeze said:A bit shouty but the CS Mike Landau '63's that I've played have all been amazing.  Definitely a guitar I would love to own. 
    CAN'T DISAGREE. THEY'RE AWESOME GUITARS.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Just better ! 

Better woods better pick pick ups nicer necks and fretboards just better buy one you know it makes sense.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    No automatic alt text available

CAn only get that spec on a custom shop one (10,5 inch radius neck, Nocaster pickups, pink)- No tele is cooler. 
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22859
    ^ I don't really like Shell Pink, but I can't deny that looks fantastic.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Evilmags said:
    No automatic alt text available

CAn only get that spec on a custom shop one (10,5 inch radius neck, Nocaster pickups, pink)- No tele is cooler. 
    Is that a TU-15?
    Bridgehouse said:
    Is that a TU-15?
    Vintage!
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Hmmm literally none of this has proved to me a custom shop is any better, :D then again I dont think ANY solid body made in a factory hand made or not is worth more than 1.5k
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom