Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Blade Runner 2049 - SPOILERS FROM PAGE 3 - PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS!

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27236
edited October 2017 in Off Topic
TOMORROW NIGHT!!!!!

ARGHGHGHGHG!!!! I was cautiously optimistic since Denis Villeneuve is so clearly brilliant (but cautious because Scott is involved and is "patchy" at best these days). But the reviews are looking amazing (have only seen the headlines and star ratings - no spoilers for me!). 

Anyone else going this weekend?

[I'll add a spoiler warning in the title once we've had some discussion but let's try and keep it spoiler-free at least till the weekend, yes?]
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I'll be catching it early next week....I was hoping for a 2D IMAX screening but the place near me is just doing IMAX 3D and I don't get on well with 3D.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Saw a tweet from Xan Brooks who was in raptures having just watched it.

TBH, I liked the original but didn't love it. I more of a character man and felt it was all theme. 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27236
    I'll be catching it early next week....I was hoping for a 2D IMAX screening but the place near me is just doing IMAX 3D and I don't get on well with 3D.
    We're going at 11pm tomorrow night. It's the only way to get a 2D showing on a big screen. Not quite IMAX but doesn't require that we drive to Dubai. If it's *really* good I might go up there next weekend to see it again in IMAX...
  • Tickets booked for tomorrow night. Band night out. 
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Going on Friday evening, 3d screening (I quite like 3d)

its a long film, 2 hours 45 mins!
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

Really want to see it.  Going to watch the first one in the next week or so, I've not seen it for about 20 years.  Then will go and watch 2049. 

This is quite an interesting spoiler free pre review discussion with Kermode. 

Which version do folks recommend watching of the first one?

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28344
    Loved the original. Feel a bit meh about revisiting, I just hope they don't spoilt the original (like aliens 2 and terminator 2 did)
  • Rewatched the original in prep after long time.  Harrison Ford is correct.  The voice overs are shite.  Is there a version without these

Really want to see it.  Going to watch the first one in the next week or so, I've not seen it for about 20 years.  Then will go and watch 2049. 

Which version do folks recommend watching of the first one?

"The Final Cut" is my go-to. I haven't seen any other version in a long time, but this is meant to be the "best", if such a thing can be determined.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blade-Runner-Final-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B000VS20M2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1507108568&sr=8-4&keywords=blade+runner+final+cut
  • Rewatched the original in prep after long time.  Harrison Ford is correct.  The voice overs are shite.  Is there a version without these
    All of them except the original theatrical release I think. I think the voiceover version got used for TV broadcasts for a long time. I think I've seen both, but I remember next to nothing about the voiceovers.

The Final Cut version is meant to be the best, but the DVD I have is the older Director's Cut version which is also voiceover free.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FloofFloof Frets: 17
    I'm going tomorrow night - IMAX 3D for me

I 'bought' the Blade Runner Final Cut on Amazon Video last week and watched that as a refresher in preparation. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72660
    edited October 2017

I actually want to see this now.

axisus said:
    Loved the original. Feel a bit meh about revisiting, I just hope they don't spoilt the original (like aliens 2 and terminator 2 did)
    Same here, but Kermode has just fixed that for me. It may still not be as good as the original, but it can't spoil it.

Terminator 2 doesn't spoil The Terminator, it's just an irrelevance really - the original still stands by itself as a perfect classic. I've never seen any of the later Alien films so I can't comment on that...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

T2 is better than The Terminator. Obviously all that came since are hackneyed money making shit, but T2 is fantastic.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28344
    T2 is better than The Terminator. Obviously all that came since are hackneyed money making shit, but T2 is fantastic.
    Nope. T1 > T2. Better storyline. Can't buy me with effects.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72660
    For about the first time ever with us and movies… er, no.

:)

The role-reversal thing is silly, the technology isn't believable, because of that the T-1000 just isn't as scary (or even indestructible) as Arnie was in the first film, and the ending is a trite cop-out. It doesn't have anything like the darkness and menace of the original.

But we digress ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    Going Friday. NO SPOILERS !!!!!!!!!
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    ICBM said:
    For about the first time ever with us and movies… er, no.

:)

The role-reversal thing is silly, the technology isn't believable, because of that the T-1000 just isn't as scary (or even indestructible) as Arnie was in the first film, and the ending is a trite cop-out. It doesn't have anything like the darkness and menace of the original.

But we digress ;).
    Nah, T2 is just better. Though I saw it first and had an Arnie action figure when I was 8-ish, so I obviously came at it from the other direction. 
  • ICBM said:

axisus said:
    Same here, but Kermode has just fixed that for me. It may still not be as good as the original, but it can't spoil it.

And that's the thing. You can't spoil the original. Doctor Who is shite now: it can't impact on the Tom Baker era. The Force Awakens sucked balls: it doesn't affect me watching the original trio (especially now I have the Harmy Despecialized versions). Specific X-Men authors wrote some shit comic books: they can't fuck up Grant Morrison's near-perfect run.

ICBM said:

axisus said:

And that's the thing. You can't spoil the original. Doctor Who is shite now: it can't impact on the Tom Baker era. The Force Awakens sucked balls: it doesn't affect me watching the original trio (especially now I have the Harmy Despecialized versions). Specific X-Men authors wrote some shit comic books: they can't fuck up Grant Morrison's near-perfect run.
    I think you can - the Alien series proves that. Obviously Alien is still spectacular, but all the shit that's come since gets in the way. If you've seen all the others it's impossible to completely forget all of them (particularly the prequels) while watching the original. It's less of a problem with sequels than prequels though.
  • I think you can - the Alien series proves that. Obviously Alien is still spectacular, but all the shit that's come since gets in the way. If you've seen all the others it's impossible to completely forget all of them (particularly the prequels) while watching the original. It's less of a problem with sequels than prequels though.
    Alien is immensely wonderful but to me the existence of everything else doesn't tarnish it. Treat Alien as a single body of work, a self-enclosed story rather than one part of a larger arc. 

I dunno why exactly but I like different eras and interpretations. I can love Adam West-era Batman as much as the Nolan films, love them in different ways, but I like seeing how one vision goes compared to another.