Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Take My Money! New signature Epiphone Jared James Nichols 'Old Glory' LPC

What's Hot

Comments

• Now available for pre order from Andertons only at this stage so I’ll be hanging on as I won’t give them my money 

Also with them you have to full price of £599 upfront. Most others will only charge around £50
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    I want one, but am now in two minds as not sure I'll ever get around to playing it. I have way too many guitars already!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Mine should be arriving tomorrow morning - will stick some photos up here when it does.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I played his proto a couple weeks back (now apparently lost by the airlines on his return trip home!), and it was pretty cool :+1: I’ve offered to refinish and age one for him, plus fit a ‘50s P90 so we’ll see where that goes, and he also gigged my ‘60 Les Paul ;-)

https://youtu.be/y-_ihT4ufnw
    2reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I played his proto a couple weeks back (now apparently lost by the airlines on his return trip home!), and it was pretty cool :+1: I’ve offered to refinish and age one for him, plus fit a ‘50s P90 so we’ll see where that goes, and he also gigged my ‘60 Les Paul ;-)

https://youtu.be/y-_ihT4ufnw
    Nice! I follow him on Instagram and find his style perfect for that bitesize format. Not an attempt to diminish him in any way, but I find he plays in almost the ultimate rock guitar-shop style. Pure rawwwk! Always gets a great sound and I bet he's got more in the bag than I've seen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Will get some photos up tomorrow but so far I am very impressed - for the £570 that GAK had it at this is a ridiculously good guitar. The "Blues Power" plate was hiding some pretty horrific drillwork so I've just reversed mine for the time being - the Seymour Duncan P90 actually roars and it's a huge comfy neck. It's a pretty fun and surprisingly versatile guitar.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6110
    He is one damn fine player. That magic thumb of his squeezes some amazing tones out of any guitar he touches.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795
    johnl said:
    Will get some photos up tomorrow but so far I am very impressed - for the £570 that GAK had it at this is a ridiculously good guitar. The "Blues Power" plate was hiding some pretty horrific drillwork so I've just reversed mine for the time being - the Seymour Duncan P90 actually roars and it's a huge comfy neck. It's a pretty fun and surprisingly versatile guitar.
    What have they drilled?  Just two little holes for the mounting screws, or has it actually got two whacking great holes as if it once really had a stop tailpiece?
    Just two small screw holes for the mounting screws but they've managed to strip a fair bit of the finish (both about the size of a 5p) around each hole. Not a major issue but bit of an eyesore
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    It's a shame they didn't just supply the plastic plate separately so you had the choice to put it on or not. Love the look of the guitar but that plate puts me off. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
    What's the weight of it? Looks like it's do me for a gigging guitar, but weight is always an issue for my stupid back.
    I haven't got any scales here - it's not light but it's not a boat anchor. I'd say it's probably in the 9lbs or so region when compared to my R8 which I know is 8.5. It's full mahogany so not a light guitar by any means. 
  • Yamaha77Yamaha77 Frets: 77
    Looks great but would have to fashion up a replacement plate as that's pure cheese.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10382
    tFB Trader
    Its a beautiful looking instrument ... I've always loved the idea of single pickup carved tops ... especially with a P90,
    however that plate is truly horrible. I would be inclined ... if it were mine, to get a simple brass plate with a bit of engraved scroll-work  made up to fit that area.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795
    Maybe they should do what Gibson sometimes do with LP or 335 scratchplates - supply it with the plate and a pair of screws so - if you're insane - you can just fit it yourself.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Its a beautiful looking instrument ... I've always loved the idea of single pickup carved tops ... especially with a P90,
    however that plate is truly horrible. I would be inclined ... if it were mine, to get a simple brass plate with a bit of engraved scroll-work  made up to fit that area.
    That was my thoughts exactly with regards to a brass plate although the engraved scroll work wouldn't be cheap. I had a brass trigger guard for one of my rifles hand engraved and it cost the best part of £350!! Here's a photo of the work

https://i.imgur.com/QjmFgq9.jpg

Maybe a simple engraving of the name "Epiphone" in nice writing, that should be possible with an engraving machine and would be much cheaper.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What does it play like?

I was very keen to get one of these but since buying my R8 nothing gets close to it so thought I may be disappointed 

Plus the fact I would remove that plate but by the sound of things it would look worse without it due to shoddy drilling 
    edited August 2019
    Right - excuse the fingerprints - a matte black finish is a fingerprint magnet:

With the plate reversed I don't think it looks too bad. 

It plays fantastically well and sounds great - it doesn't feel as nice in the hand as my R8 but it also doesn't feel like a cheap guitar by any means. Having just volume and tone forces me to engage with the controls more often than I sometimes do and you'd be surprised at how many different tones are possible just with those two.

All in all it's an absolute bargain - you're not going to be able to sell your R8 because you've got one of these but for under £600 there's very few reasons not to own one....

Edit: one other thing worth mentioning - there's no markers on the frets past 15 at all - not even dots in the binding which surprised me.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    I still fancy one of these, but want to try one first.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Love the idea of this/single pickup LP, shame about the bridge plate. Epiphone get all the fun guitars, that 1955 P90 Custom they did a while ago is still calling my name!